So Do We Finally Have a Clear #2 MW GOAT?

First of all I just want to say that right now many of you guys are doing to Adesanya what you did to Silva and other great champions of the past.

You shit on the performances of every opponent Israel beats rather than recognizing what Israel is doing to completely shutdown their gameplan and their biggest weapons.

He did it to Brunson, Whittaker, and Costa. You guys blamed them for being stupid. Israel fucked their heads. Izzy and Coach Bareman are like fucking scientists.

Chris Weidman would be another debatable candidate but I would say that Israel has the more impressive championship performances and wins. For one, Israel is fighting young KO artists, in their prime. All guys younger than himself. The only old guy he fought is arguably the GOAT old guy and IMO is up there with the greatest 185ers and still one of the hardest guys to beat in Romero.

I rest my case.
The only candidacies that Weidman can be up for is
1. It's between him and Hendricks for biggest career cliff dive after USADA was brought in.
2. It's been him and Stipe for beating the most over the hill fighters during his title reigns.

Man I really wanted to see Mousasi vs Adesanya.

@GoshiShun17

#1 actually. he's undefeated, has won 100 pro fights throughout his whole career. 4 wins in UFC title fights, 2 of his title wins are against younger fighters in their prime, Just beat a younger undefeated fighter for his 4.

Last edited:
Why is Weidman even mentioned? He only had 2 defenses and didn’t dominate like Israel is.

I think so. He and Weidman are close and can see argued either way. But I would have Adesanya at #2. Undefeated streak and wins over Brunson, Anderson, Gastelum, Whittaker, Romero and Costa is a great resume. And I think most of those guys were in their primes or close enough to it.

^ agree with this.

I think so. He and Weidman are close and can see argued either way. But I would have Adesanya at #2. Undefeated streak and wins over Brunson, Anderson, Gastelum, Whittaker, Romero and Costa is a great resume. And I think most of those guys were in their primes or close enough to it.

Weidman was also undefeated during his run that people argue as the basis for him being #2. Other than that he's only since beaten Gastelum and Omari at MW, and only Gastelum really matters to the discussion as Omari was #11.

So Israel being currently undefeated IMO doesn't really matter when debating between him and Weidman. Weidman was too for the stretch that matters.

Lol ur stupid. Beating former ww's doesnt make you the best..
Beating brunson?
Give mousasi those fights he would win
Only in your mind will Mousasi ever be #1 or #2. Sure isn’t the case in reality. He couldn’t even hold the Bellator belt for 5 minutes.

overrated

Last edited:
I wouldn't make that claim yet, Hendo & Mouse have far more extensive resumes. There is too much emphasis on being a UFC champ.

Why is Weidman even mentioned? He only had 2 defenses and didn’t dominate like Israel is.
weidman had 3 defenses silva, beltfort and machida

So Israel being currently undefeated IMO doesn't really matter when debating between him and Weidman. Weidman was too for the stretch that matters.
okay, but weidmans title wins were against aged former champions, isreals title wins were against guys younger than him in their primes like kelvin, whittaker and costa. You could argue yoel is past it though.

I know you fight who is in front of you but isreal has better wins at MW at this point in his ufc tenure then weidman did. also weidman was injury prone and his title wins are stretched a bit further. making his reign seem longer.

1#Sakuraba
2#Mousasi
3#Izzy
Finally someone says his name.

200.gif

I’ve got Anderson above all because what he was able to accomplish may never been seen again. But Saku sits proudly at #2.

This is why I think Chris is ahead right now.

For me, losses don't undo accomplishments. Muhammad Ali did what he did, despite losing after he was out of his prime. Most people recognize that. However, MMA is more guilty of this than other sports IMO, in that most sports don't suggest than hits someone takes as they age might actually undo the accomplishments they reached earlier. Doesn't really make any sense.

Weidman's biggest wins were all also against guys that were in the twilight of their prime. Does he deserve full credit for beating them?

Weidman also lost to his peers: Rockhold, Jacare, Moose, and Romero. These were all guys of his generation, he just happened to be pushed to the big show first because he had the most hype around him.

Machida and Vitor were also old if youre using that argument to discredit Silva and Romero for Izzy.

Not that old, though. There is a big difference from 37 to 42.
Machida was on 2 wins and Vitor had 3 KOs in a row vs Bisping, Rockhold and Hendo.
I am not trying to discredit anything.
Again, Adesanya is the second best MW ever imo. Weidman 3rd.

Izzys resume is way better than Weedmans atm lol. Munhoz? Really? Weidman is so high cause of his Silva wins,Machida and Belfort. Everything else on there is pretty irrelevant IMO.

If Maia is irrelevant, I assume Brunson, old Silva and Costa are also irrelevant. Why Costa? His only good win is Romero and that was a close fight. I know people see him as this killer, because he was undefeated and jacked, but his resume is not much at all.

If Weidman has a case, so does Rockhold, who actually finished undefeated champion Weidman, and his wins over Machida, Bisping and Jacare are comparable to Costa, Kelvin and Romero for Israel.

No title defenses, but I see your point.
Also, he beat Kennedy, Jardine, Boetsch... all three decent opponents.
Still, his losses matter and Adesanya is undefeated for now.

At this point I would say so. In fact, I think he’s a couple of quality wins (Cannonier, Whittaker 2, Hermansson?, etc) from giving Anderson’s resume a run for it’s money, but we’ll save that conversation for another day.

LMFAO Moose? You guys are delusional if you think Moose has a better resume.

per overall, yeah, but not at MW only

Jacare
Manhoef
Sobral
Hunt
Vitor
Hendo
Latifi
OSP
Goodridge
Rory
Carvalho
Shlemenko
Santos
Leites
Lombard

15 decent/top wins.
54 fights, 46 wins, only being finished TKOd once and that was a fluke.
And he is 35. With 54 fights.

All these were top fighters or good fighters. (inb4 "leites, you gotta be kidding me?" but 43 years old Silva is worth mentioning)
I would add a few more but sherdoggers believe only top top opponent wins matter
Sure, you can make an argument for some of them (out of their prime argument or the Shlemenko argument), same as others can make arguments for Adesanya's opponents.
- Yoel - over 40, didn't engage, being 1-4
- Silva - over 40, came for fun, being 1-6 and that win being controversial
- Costa - not much of a resume, only Hall and close fight Romero, just being young and undefeated doesn't make you better than others from Moose's list

But still, Moose, fought in several weight classes and I wouldn't put him at MW since many of his good wins are at LHW, OW, HW.

Guys like Moose, Hendo, Saku should be on a different kind of list, imo.

Why not ? Strikeforce champ, pride champ dream and bellator champ..

Has over 45wins

We will see what iseral looks like after over 50+plus fights.

I can tell your new to mma
Adesanya has far more pro fights than Moose

per overall, yeah, but not at MW only

Jacare
Manhoef
Sobral
Hunt
Vitor
Hendo
Latifi
OSP
Goodridge
Rory
Carvalho
Shlemenko
Santos
Leites
Lombard

All these were top fighters or good fighters. (inb4 "leites, you gotta be kidding me?" but 43 years old Silva is worth mentioning)
I would add a few more but sherdoggers believe only top top opponent wins matter
Sure, you can make an argument for some of them (out of their prime argument or the Shlemenko argument), same as others can make arguments for Adesanya's opponents.
- Yoel - over 40, didn't engage, being 1-4
- Silva - over 40, came for fun, being 1-6 and that win being controversial
- Costa - not much of a resume, only Hall and close fight Romero, just being young and undefeated doesn't make you better than others from Moose's list

But still, Moose, fought in several weight classes and I wouldn't put him at MW since many of his good wins are at LHW, OW, HW.

Guys like Moose, Hendo, Saku should be on a different kind of list, imo.
Whittaker is better than almost everyone on that list around the time Moose fought them.

-Vitor was in his I think either 39 or 40 when Gegard had beat him. This was him of TRT and clearly in a large downward spiral. Getting stopped in every fight post his Hendo match barring Nate marquart.
-Dan Henderson was also in a heavy downward drop. Only relevant win was picking up a knockout over Lombard (who was also on a heavy spiral down)
-Babalu was always bipolar with his preformances. His biggest win a lot of people site is his win over early career Shogun but outside of that he was never elite
-Rory is a welterweight who isn't the same guy who beat Woodley.He beat Lima priot be fair but i'd consider it close to Kelvin in terms of importance. Good win but nothing that fantastic.
-Santos was a drained MW who had a rocky career there. LHW was his division and everyone knows it.
-Lombard was beaten prior to him even being in close to the Bellator champ. His only other high level comp at the time was Gono who he lost to. Fine win but nothing great.
-Carvalho is fine. Nothing amazing but a good win
-Shlemenko is another ok win. It was a close fight and Shlemenko lacks a ton of high level scalps on his name. His record is def more quantity over quality (still good though)
-Goodridge, dude come on lmfao. He was in his mid 40s when gegard slept him and he was done done.
-Jacare is a great win you can't take away from him. But hes 1-1 and Jacare beat him badly in their most recent fight.
-Leites was near the end of his career and was losing to a lot of guys. Fine win IMO but nothing that great.
-OSP and Latifi are good wins but not elite. They both lack big names on their resume.
-Manhoef is another good win but nothing crazy.

Gegard was never consistent enough at MW to ever build a major resume. Thats his biggest issue. Bouncing between beating up gatekeeping LHWs and whoever the UFC wanted to give him at MW has slowed down his actual resume.

Yoel was older sure but is more explosive and better than most of who Moose fought. Old Yoel isn't the same as old Hendo or Vitor. Yoel scalped multiple UFC champs in his run to the title. One of them being Machida who Moose couldn't beat in his prime.(Note Yoel beat Machida a year after he beat Gegard)
Whittaker is obviously his best win. Can't even debate that one.
Costas resume isn't that strong but neither is most of the guys you listed. Lombard was murking randoms at bellator cause their division at the time had no one. In the UFC he started out ok but started to fall flat quickly.
You should have mentioned Hall over a lot of guys on that list. Weidman too, those are very good wins of Gegard that people just don't bring up. Izzy slept Costa who was 13-0 with a big win over Romero and Whittaker who had yet to take an L at MW. Gegard dropped multiple fights to guys like Hall, Lyoto and Jacare in his prime. Izzy never has as of now and its not like he isn't fighting high level comp.

I respect moose a ton for fighting at any weight class. Seriously dudes a gangster. But he isn't Izzy in terms of resume or even skill.

Back