• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Should they ban assault weapons in the US?

Should they ban assault weapons in the US?

• Total voters
Almost all gun crime is done by handguns. By what logic would you ban ARs and not handguns?

I’d bet that a lot of those crimes aren’t even using legally obtained handguns either. Call me crazy but I don’t think the gang bangers in south side Chicago or the drug runners in SoCal are purchasing their weapons at big 5.

1. Assault weapons have been all but banned since 1986.
2. The suspect used a pistol, not a rifle.

He used an AR-15 he bought 6 days ago. Ten days ago a judge in Boulder blocked an attempted ban on AR sales. Bet he feels smart.

I’m not a gun expert, but I’ve shot handguns and ARs and it seems there are a handful of advantages the AR platform has over a handgun that makes them more deadly outside of long range. Easier to aim accurately even at medium range, typically have higher capacity magazines, usually a higher caliber round, easier to manage recoil, etc.

That's why I factored in an extra 10%, due to the higher velocity of the bullet and advantage aiming. As far capacity, many handguns have 25-30+ round mags, including the most popular one (Glock). But capacity doesn't mean shit really. Parkland was 10 round mags. Shooters have time to reload because people are running and hiding, not charging these killers.

But let's bump up the number to say 80% more people die. Of those 300, 167 still die. That means 133 less deaths out of 10k annually. So still only a 1.33% difference. Hardly a significant enough sum to justify infringing upon a fundamental civil right.

There's no law that mandates AR's. The arms referred to in the constitution were toys compared to modern weapons.

The judge overturned the law based on preemption. And fyi, SCOTUS has ruled that the 2nd doesn't apply to just arms from the time of ratification.

Define "here" and how many guns you have in your nation versus your population size. Also let us know if you have constitutional amendments that ensure a right to bear arms.

Of course you can look to the left and see my location but I'm in Australia, Melbourne to be specific.

Found a link to some stats below, most recent stats from 2016 but I'm sure it hasn't changed much, so this would be around 12 guns per 100 people.

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/australia

And no we don't have an amendment to bear arms, we don't really have a gun culture at all here. We have a lot of similarities to the US but gun culture is one major difference.

The judge overturned the law based on preemption. And fyi, SCOTUS has ruled that the 2nd doesn't apply to just arms from the time of ratification.
At no time of America’s technological progression in firearms, has any citizen or any Supreme Court ever thought that american citizens can’t own the newest and best.

only modern day liberals think so. spouting the verse of globalists who fear armed populaces

At no time of America’s technological progression in firearms, has any citizen or any Supreme Court ever thought that american citizens can’t own the newest and best.

only modern day liberals think so. spouting the verse of globalists who fear armed populaces

It's really a braindead argument. Nobody making it would ever insist that free speech doesn't apply to video formats or the internet.

Where can I buy an M60 and Gatling? It's my right under the constitution, correct?

Where can I buy an M60 and Gatling? It's my right under the constitution, correct?
You can own an m60 and a Gatling. You bet you can. Perfectly legal.

you can legally buy and own a perfectly working one of these in america.

look at all of those, you can legally own working artillery pieces And fire them on your property. Lots of enthusiasts meet up here at big sandy.

Americans are free, and this strikes fear into the heart of the globalist

Liberals: "Making Drugs Illegal doesn't stop people from using them, it just creates more problems"
Also Liberals: "Make Guns illegal"

You can own an m60 and a Gatling. You bet you can. Perfectly legal.

you can legally buy and own a perfectly working one of these in america.

By the way, I should mention I want a NEW one. Not pre-'86

No. There should be constitutional carry. Mass shooters would be dead. Only reason they are able to do it is because most people are unarmed. They have nothing to worry about. Have a country of armed citizens and people wouldn't be able to do mass shootings without getting killed quickly.

Attempted mass shooters have been killed as they attempted a mass shooting in the past. Like the incident that happened in a church.

Back