• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Should they ban assault weapons in the US?

Should they ban assault weapons in the US?

• Total voters
1. Assault weapons have been all but banned since 1986.
2. The suspect used a pistol, not a rifle.

nClass 2 = "Military Grade" weapons. Training required, a license to own, mental health background check and entered into a database
So which rifles fall under "military grade" weapons?

I keep hearing this idea thrown around now. And I agree 100%.

the government must provide me with healthcare. It’s a right and should be provided.

the government must provide me with an AR-15 with 400 rounds. It’s my 2nd amendment right and should be provided.

I'd have no issue with that compromise

Well I did say the vast majority and of course there will be outliers based on various reasons. But if the point is any kind of gun can cause mass casualties then point taken. I would be all for making all guns illegal but I don’t really know anything about it and just would think at least some more regulation would help, but once the toothpaste is out of the tube it’s impossible to put it back in.

There's 10k murders in America annually. Maybe 300 are done with rifles. Of those, unless they're from long range, all 300 could be done with handguns. Let's say rifles up the killing by 10%, that still means 272 of those murders take place. So this grand solution will theoretically knock the murder rate down .0028%. That hardly justifies an obvious infringement on an enumerated civil right.

EDIT: That's .28%. Bad math was bad. :oops:

Last edited:
There's 10k murders in America annually. Maybe 300 are done with rifles. Of those, unless they're from long range, all 300 could be done with handguns. Let's say rifles up the killing by 10%, that still means 272 of those murders take place. So this grand solution will theoretically knock the murder rate down .0028%. That hardly justifies an obvious infringement on an enumerated civil right.
Oh okay, thank you for those numbers. I am really ignorant about gun rights and that debate. It's not an issue I have dived too much into and probably the one I am least passionate about. But, I usually lead with emotion and since I am scared of guns I just reflexively think they are bad. But what you are saying in here makes me think. Thanks.

It's probably even less than that. 364 out of 13,927, and that's including all rifles.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....019/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8.xls

I voted yes but I know nothing about guns other than they terrify me. Isn’t it true that the vast majority of mass casualty incidents (like 5 plus dead) are done with rifles? Would banning them at least reduce the death total in random attacks like that? Genuine question, I could be way off.

I don't know about the vast majority but the deadliest school shooting in history was done with a 9mm and .22...32 killed and 17 injured.

Video-grab-of-Cho-Seung-h-007.jpg

Also, most homicides are non-random attacks...

ban everything probably... assault cars, assault, ass salt, salt, the worlds too dangerous and scary and needs an honest and trustworthy government saving us from our fear...

We had a mass shooting here in the mid 90s, government then banned all fully and semi automatic weapons (with some exceptions I believe). We haven't had a mass shooting incident since really, though it's not something that happens here generally anyway.

I voted "I'm on the fence" because, while I think additional regulations would be best, I don't think "assault weapon" is a very coherent or bright-lined basis for those regulations.

I've had a couple dozen truckers over the last 12 months talk to me about this issue. They don't seem too keen on giving their guns up. I had one guy even telling me he was starting to get his property ready for any kind of impending crackdown.

I'm not sure how much of it is tough guy talk and how much is legit "cold dead hands" shit, but, I will say that I know a handful of new gun owners just within my own circle. Once BLM happened a few co-workers and friends wound up getting their license.

We had a mass shooting here in the mid 90s, government then banned all fully and semi automatic weapons (with some exceptions I believe). We haven't had a mass shooting incident since really, though it's not something that happens here generally anyway.
Port Arthur?

Good luck getting people to agree on what this mysterious "assault weapon" is.

You can get a pre-1986 fully automatic weapon or full auto sear but you've got to submit the correct paperwork, pay for the tax stamp, and go through more background checks.

The US needs to ban assault foods with the obesity rates we have going on. Those high capacity french fries and large caliber burgers are doing plenty of damage. :)

No. Proper training is needed though.
You dont know what someone will do with a firearm after purchase, especially when they can also purchase locally from a private party.

They exist. It doesnt matter. Most heavily armed populace on the planet. Its kind of amazing and should simply be respected by all sides. I dont see confiscation working without major issues. Also no "assault weapons" for the people should mean none for the police. Set an example. Anyway way too many, 'Muricans are armed to the teefes, just gotta find a way to get along and figure out the lost ones. Easy does it.

I like guns, did lots of target shooting with my grandfather. Regret killing a crow as a stupid kid since it was completely pointless, big life lesson.

Reactions: MTT

I’m not a gun expert, but I’ve shot handguns and ARs and it seems there are a handful of advantages the AR platform has over a handgun that makes them more deadly outside of long range. Easier to aim accurately even at medium range, typically have higher capacity magazines, usually a higher caliber round, easier to manage recoil, etc.

Define "here" and how many guns you have in your nation versus your population size. Also let us know if you have constitutional amendments that ensure a right to bear arms.

I’m not a gun expert, but I’ve shot handguns and ARs and it seems there are a handful of advantages the AR platform has over a handgun that makes them more deadly outside of long range. Easier to aim accurately even at medium range, typically have higher capacity magazines, usually a higher caliber round, easier to manage recoil, etc.

So why are most homicides done with handguns then?

{<huh}

No. And to double down on that, the civil unrest it's going to create if they try to do it via executive order will be hard to come back from. The country is way too unstable right now.

Back