Should Chris Weidman be considered a prodigy?

If an excuse is the only thing you can use to try and counter an argument then you fail hard

And relly shouldnt be taken seriously

"Excuse" is a synonym for "a reason". It's just another one of those colloquialisms that people like to throw out there when they want to discredit someone's argument because they know that it counters and neutralises their own viewpoint.

An example of this would be what you're doing right now.

I'm out folks

Well and truly out as a Weidman hater.

Not sure about prodigy, but the guy learns very fast and has done really well given his experience. He is definitely very talented, but not ready for Silva just yet.

"Excuse" is a synonym for "a reason". It's just another one of those colloquialisms that people like to throw out there when they want to discredit someone's argument because they know that it counters and neutralises their own viewpoint.

Aw a man of excuses

I'm done replying to someone who's gonna make up excuses

People tend to forget he wrestled his whole life, he wasn't green on the ground by any means, and ADCC is not a BJJ contest. Also, he is not the only one who did it, Okami and Lindland made the same as him, and without BJJ.

Sure he is highly talented (and it's obvious, this thread only exists because TS is a troll) and one of the best MW's out there, but let's not worship him like he is the second coming of christ.

The problem with bringing up the 6 days notice thing is that one can just as easily point out that Maia was sick and Munoz had a stress fracture in his foot. I bet you tell me those things arent important tho right?

Yes the Weidman that fought Maia was a bad version of himself but so was Maia and Munoz was an injured and out of shape version of his already overrated self.

Weidman hasnt done one single thing to suggest he would last 2 mins with Silva.

I like how that's not relevant to the fact that your Vinny armbar gif at all doesn't prove your point that you think Weidman is "overrated".

And if beating a Top 5 MW (source) in
Mark Munoz is "fighting meh competition", then that goes to prove how god-awful the 185 division really is.
I keep hearing this argument and it's a poor one. He strung a few wins together and got ranked basically because alot of the other top guys were either ready beat by Silva thus dropping their rankings, beat by guys Silva had just beat, also thereby dropping their rankings or left the division. Who in the current MW top 15 has Munoz beat? No-one. Who in the current top 15 would beat Munoz? I could probably name 10.

Bottom line though is Munoz should never have been ranked at #3.

Chris "9 fights" Weidman a prodigy?
Really?

He looks like he has a lot of potential, he's shown some impressive skills.

But come on son, it's a little to early to crown him the next big thing just because he beat Munoz.

Chris "9 Fights" Weidman a prodigy?

Let him prove it first. Let's see how he does against a quality striker that will actually hit him repeatedly, let's see how he reacts to that first. It doesn't even have to be Silva, let's see him fight Vitor or Lombard.

Haha I can't wait until he fights Anderson and gets utterly destroyed and then everyone says oh well he wasn't all that good, the division is weak, Anderson is bigger (this has been going on a lot lately) etc. etc.

Look, Weidman is good, I will be the first to tell you that, but let's be real here. Let's look at his top 2 wins. He bullied Munoz which is a fact, great showing from him. But Munoz was just coming off surgery if I am not mistaken. And also, when is the last time Munoz has made it to the main stage, because every time he has been there, he chokes. Badly. His other top win was against Maia. Yes Chris had only a week, but Maia was training for Bisping, and those are major adjustments that have to be made. In that fight, he looked average at best. He barely outstruck K1 Maia. Everywhere else in the fight he only looked okay.

Is Weidman good, of course. Is he ready for the title shot, eh...let him have one more fight and we will see. I am just not sold yet, as I see him being still a little green. Maybe let him fight Lombard. We can see where he is at against someone who is considered elite. Winner gets title shot

Really?

But come on son, it's a little to early to crown him the next big thing just because he beat Munoz.

Let him prove it first. Let's see how he does against a quality striker that will actually hit him repeatedly, let's see how he reacts to that first. It doesn't even have to be Silva, let's see him fight Vitor or Lombard.
A prodigy really means that you're a master at something while still being a child. But in the manner the TS means it I guess it means that he's extremely talented, which I would agree with in his BJJ, seeing what he managed to do within 6 months training.

A prodigy really means that you're a master at something while still being a child. But in the manner the TS means it I guess it means that he's extremely talented, which I would agree with in his BJJ, seeing what he managed to do within 6 months training.

But how well has it transferred to his day job of fighting? How good is his talent inside the octagon where it's quite likely he'll be getting punched in the face while trying to show off his prodigious talents?

I guess time will tell.

While I do agree he's very talented, he's nowhere near what someone like BJ Penn was. BJ started BJJ barely having any grappling experience at all, whilst Weidman had years of wrestling. While wrestling doesn't guarantee you success in BJJ (See Sonnen, Chael), it does give you a bit of a head start.

But how well has it transferred to his day job of fighting? How good is his talent inside the octagon where it's quite likely he'll be getting punched in the face while trying to show off his prodigious talents?

I guess time will tell.
Yes, time will tell. But we don't know how far he would have gone in submission grappling either, but I'd still say that he's exceptionally talented at it.

He's of course really talented in MMA as well, seeing how far he's come within 9 fights. Of course that some people say that he'll beat Anderson right now is probably a bit early, but I do think he'll stay at the top and could certainly be a future champ.

Yes he is. Too bad that the idiots here cant realize it.

Yes, time will tell. But we don't know how far he would have gone in submission grappling either, but I'd still say that he's exceptionally talented at it.

He's of course really talented in MMA as well, seeing how far he's come within 9 fights. Of course that some people say that he'll beat Anderson right now is probably a bit early, but I do think he'll stay at the top and could certainly be a future champ.

+-I do think he has a bright future @ MW. I like what I've seen so far.

Maia won the 5th round vs Silva. Weidman didn't lose a round to him. Who tired now bro?

lol do you really think that Anderson was fighting foreal? He was trollin men, he was playing cat and mouse with Maia. Weidman is legit, he is really good, but he would get clowned by Anderson.

Really?

The nine fights is kinda what makes him a prodigy there guy.

Back