Should Chris Weidman be considered a prodigy?

NYmmamafia

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think he could be considering how fast he picked up bjj and how well he has done in mma with not alot of experience.
Lets look at some of his accomplishments in such a short period of time.

Weidman started taking jiu-jitsu classes at Matt Serras and within only three months of training bjj he competed in and won The East Coast Grappler

Wait, you didn't know? Fedor's fighting spirit and prowess left him after the Arlovski fight and entered this young kid named Chris Weidman...

wow, I didnt know Wideman had such great credentials. Yea I would say he is indeed a prodigy. Good read TS, Im actually more interested in a title fight vs Silva now. He might be able to control him on the ground to a UD.

The Maia win was very impressive but mark Munoz was considered the #1 contender and also Munoz is a great wrestler and Weidman absolutely beat him down and made him look like a baby . Anderson silva almost got beat by Chael sonnen ... Chael isn't a quarter of the wrestler or striker Weidman is. Bottom line hype train silva will be finished by Weidman when they meet

The Maia win was very impressive but mark Munoz was considered the #1 contender and also Munoz is a great wrestler and Weidman absolutely beat him down and made him look like a baby . Anderson silva almost got beat by Chael sonnen ... Chael isn't a quarter of the wrestler or striker Weidman is. Bottom line hype train silva will be finished by Weidman when they meet

As far as I remember it was not that impressive, and I understand coz it's a short notice for him. Maia got caught off guard coz he was preparing for a more of a kickboxer fighter (Bisping)

This, folks, is an example of pure Silva hatred.

Not a prodigy but a very good prospect for the MW division

There is only one prodigy....BJ Penn

Of course he should. Like Jones or Rory, it almost seems like Weidman has a portion of his brain that specializes in learning combat. He instinctively understands fighting, and once he polishes his skills, he will hold a belt. I'm curious to see how the next few years unfold with Jacare and Rockhold coming in. Those 2 are also MMA prodigies, and they have me excited about MW.

And lest anybody forget, Rory has been teasing about moving up to MW. I hope Anderson signs that 10 fight deal Dana mentioned. Part of me wants to see him go out on top, but part of me wants to see him fend off all these young lions.

im a big Weidman fan but what is with everyone having broken ribs in mma? seriously you think the docs in the UFC would be able to tell if a fighter had even a fracture, but nope it seems like everybody and their mama has broken ribs going into a fight, and that card (broken ribs) can be drawn to discredit any bad performance if need be. i have had a broken rib before (it does not feel good) and i would be ashamed of the UFC to let their fighters fight with one (could really mess up the healing process).

/rant

On topic. yes he is a prodigy in BJJ and most likely in MMA by my standards.

Munoz is a great wrestler

A guy that gets taken down at will by freaking Chris Leban doesnt qualify as a great wrestler

lunapic1354250327643654.gif

lunapic1354250327643655.gif

He has accomplished a lot in the world of MMA in a relatively short time, and he's ranked in the top 3 and on the cusp of a title shot (and he might even be first in line for a title shot if Anderson wants to fight sooner than announced) for a reason, but the term "prodigy" is used mainly for people that are under 23 or 24, at least. He can't really be a prodigy if he's 28 years old... that's like saying Brock Lesnar was a prodigy cuz' he reached such high levels of MMA in such a short time-- he must be like Jon Jones or Michael Mcdonald!

Chris trained with Serras camp for only 3 months, he was dabbling in it before. He's nothing more than the next Rick Story until he can have a Jon Jones year. Get off his nuts and his one tko of a bum Munoz. He goes 5-5 with Munoz in ten fights.

Weidman hype is straight ridic.

The guy barely, just barely outstruck Demian Maia.

Weidman a better wrestler than Sonnen? I don't think so.

Weidman is undefeated in the UFC and out of all of Anderson Silva's possible opponents at middle weight Chris stands the best chance of beating the champ. Weidmans style is unique.

Back