Should Chris Weidman be considered a prodigy?

I think he could be considering how fast he picked up bjj and how well he has done in mma with not alot of experience.
Lets look at some of his accomplishments in such a short period of time.

Weidman started taking jiu-jitsu classes at Matt Serras and within only three months of training bjj he competed in and won The East Coast Grappler’s Quest in his weight class and the Absolute Division with all 13 matches ending in submissions which qualified Weidman for the 2009 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship only after 3 months of bjj training. That in it's self is quite an amazing accomplishment.

Then Weidman with only 6 months of bjj training was on his way to Barcelona, Spain to compete at ADCC.
That is unheard of and thats why I think he is a
prodigy.

After 3 months of training BJJ He won the east coast grapplers quest submitting all 13 of his opponents with only 3 months bjj training!
Then went on to ADCC after 6 months and found won his way up to compete against Andre Galvao in the semi finals who weidman eventually lost to on points, but Anyone who saw that match knows that Weidman had Andre Galvao in trouble almost submitting him at times. Just to hang with Galvao after 6 months of BJJ is amazing.
Considering how little experience Weidman has had in BJJ and the fact that he was able to Submit all 13 opponents in the east coast grapplers quest after only 3 months of bjj training and then going on to ADCC and doing as well as he did against the likes of Andre Galvao leads me to think this guy is a prodigy.
How many guys could have competed in the ADDC tournment with only 6 months of BJJ training? In my book thats a prodigy.

Lets also remember Weidman was only 4-0 when he made his UFC debut against Sakara on only 2 weeks notice and and had broken ribs when he took the fight and still destroyed a seasoned vet in Sakara in less then 2 years of MMA training. Not many fighters make it to the UFC with a 4-0 record with less then 2 years of mma training. Weidman also never had any ameature fights before turning pro.

Since then he has finished Mark Munoz,Tom Lawlor, and Jesse Bongfelt. He Beat Maia on 10 days notice after cutting 32 pounds and never having any type of training for that fight, all he did was cut weight and he still beat a top ranked fighter who had a decade of mma experience on him.
Some of the names that he has beaten are not the biggest names but just the fact that he is able to make these guys look like amateurs who have been in the mma game for many more years then weidman makes it more impressive considering he is destroying guys with much more experience says alot.

Do you have a link to those comments TS? Because if it's true then he's a beast

Weidman a better wrestler than Sonnen? I don't think so.

I do, and its subjective. Chris Weidman is an all American division 1 wrestler and a national BJJ champion. His MMA wrestling is better than Sonnens and that's all that matters in the UFC.

I do, and its subjective. Chris Weidman is an all American division 1 wrestler and a national BJJ champion. His MMA wrestling is better than Sonnens and that's all that matters in the UFC.

Weidman has in no way shape or form proven that he has better MMA wrestling than Sonnen.

He has accomplished a lot in the world of MMA in a relatively short time, and he's ranked in the top 3 and on the cusp of a title shot (and he might even be first in line for a title shot if Anderson wants to fight sooner than announced) for a reason, but the term "prodigy" is used mainly for people that are under 23 or 24, at least. He can't really be a prodigy if he's 28 years old... that's like saying Brock Lesnar was a prodigy cuz' he reached such high levels of MMA in such a short time-- he must be like Jon Jones or Michael Mcdonald!

Im not talking in terms of age. Im talking in terms of how quick he picked up BJJ. Winning the east coast grapplers quest in the fassion he di by submitting all 13 opponents only after 3 months of training bjj earning him a shot at the ADCC in spain. He then went to the semi-finals with Andre Galvo with 6 months BJJ training and almost catching galvao in multiple submissions.
First off the Brock comparision was terrible.
Chris is different from Brock, Weidman is not a one dimensional fighter like Brock was. Chris Weidman has his wrestling base just like Brock did but the difference is weidman developed a sick BJJ game with just 3 months of training bjj. He entered the ADCC tournment with just 6 months of training! Thats why I consider that he's a prodigy. When you combine how fast he has picked up BJJ along with how fast he picked up MMA can you imagine if Weidman started training MMa at age 20?

Chris Weidman has become an issue akin to the Diaz v. Condit fight, "point fighting", and BJ Penn or Shogun. Divisive as fuck with bullshit coming from all directions.

Weidman has wrestling experience. Werdum was a prodigy.

jesus fucking christ already HE KO'D MARK MUNOZ, NOT EXACTLY PULLING A SWORD FROM STONE

ffs dominance in a single fight over a CRIMINALLY overrated mw

He's an overrated hype job that got where he's at by fighting meh competition

genius.jpg

Well.....ESPN, bloody elbow, stats and facts are in agreement with me. > http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/3/3722070/ufc-video-espn-top-5-wrestlers-mma

Who's in agreement with you?
That's a fucking joke :redface:

The fact that Jones isn't on that list is a joke, same as Evans or even Koscheck.

Sonnen is a much better MMA wrestler than Weidman, it's proven by their fights. Stop trying to talk up Chris "9 fights" Weidman please, I know you are scared of GSP possibly fighting Anderson...

So he got armbared by Vinny with 6 months of BJJ training, I guess that means he sucks right? How come you dont mention Weidman submitting all 13 of his opponnts at the east coast grapplers quest with only 3 months of training to earn him a spot at the ADCC tournment? Or mention how well he did against Galvao?
You can spot the haters from a mile a way.

If that gif is the worst Weidman has ever looked in a fight then your argument is already lost buddy. Nice try. Have anymore gif's you care to show of Weidman? Really thats all you can come up with?

So he got armbared by Vinny with 6 months of BJJ training, I guess that means he sucks right? How come you dont mention Weidman submitting all 13 of his opponnts at the east coast grapplers quest with only 3 months of training to earn him a spot at the ADCC tournment? Or mention how well he did against Galvao?
You can spot the haters from a mile a way.

If that gif is the worst Weidman has ever looked in a fight then your argument is already lost buddy. Nice try. Have anymore gif's you care to show of Weidman? Really thats all you can come up with?

Maia - "You tired as hell to,dawg?"
Weidman - "I Know That Feel, Bro"

Maia won the 5th round vs Silva. Weidman didn't lose a round to him. Who tired now bro?

And this gif is just fail

The punch clearly grazed off the back off Silva's head and I'm pretty sure they showed Silva slipped in the replay

Fail more

Be more mad. Get owned at your own game kid lol.

Weidman is the second best Middleweight in the UFC, IMO. I'll eat crow all day if I'm wrong, but he WILL be champ someday even if its after Anderson retires.

I do, for the record, believe Anderson beats him 8 times out of ten right now.

Maia - "You tired as hell to,dawg?"
Weidman - "I Know That Feel, Bro"

You do realize Weidman went into that fight with no training camp.
He had no Idea he was going to be in a fight until 10 days notice when the UFC called him to take a fight on short notice. Weidman accepted and beat Maia, a top 10 guy at the time who had a full training camp while Weidman did not train for a fight and only cut weight. That in it's self is impressive.
It's funny how you fail to mention that.

That's a fucking joke :redface:

The fact that Jones isn't on that list is a joke, same as Evans or even Koscheck.

Sonnen is a much better MMA wrestler than Weidman, it's proven by their fights. Stop trying to talk up Chris "9 fights" Weidman please, I know you are scared of GSP possibly fighting Anderson...
Either you're retarded or confused. Either way I really don't care. Don't get mad at me or GSP we've got nothing to do with the making of ESPN's list of the best wrestlers in MMA.

Back