Should Chris Weidman be considered a prodigy?

Not convinced until he beats the champ. Same level as Rory imo.

Everyone's going to throw him under the bus once he loses and gets "exposed", ex: Belcher, Boestch and now JDS.

I think he could be considering how fast he picked up bjj and how well he has done in mma with not alot of experience.
Lets look at some of his accomplishments in such a short period of time.

Weidman started taking jiu-jitsu classes at Matt Serras and within only three months of training bjj he competed in and won The East Coast Grappler

This guy will be the champion when silva stops ducking him. Thats for sure.

He is good, very good, however he needs more experience and bigger wins before facing Anderson, He has a decision over k1 Maia, and a great TKO stoppage over Munoz, and thats it, he needs atleast one top 5 win.

According to this thread, Weidman is the best "prodigy" since BJ Penn to enter MMA. And Joe Lauzon has the best chance to beat Spider since he can does the flying heel move every other fight.

I am pedantic so no, Weidman is not a prodigy. A prodigy is someone exceptionally gifted. In athletics an example might be the female Chinese olympic swimmer or even Misty Franklin. Venus and Serena Williams in tennis, who were able to reach the finals in Grand Slams before they had a clue what they were doing. Weidman has not shown that kind of talent.

Wasn't Chris Weidmann in James Cameron's Avatar?

The problem with bringing up the 6 days notice thing is that one can just as easily point out that Maia was sick and Munoz had a stress fracture in his foot. I bet you tell me those things arent important tho right?

Yes the Weidman that fought Maia was a bad version of himself but so was Maia and Munoz was an injured and out of shape version of his already overrated self.

Weidman hasnt done one single thing to suggest he would last 2 mins with Silva.

Please find me one link stating Maia was sick. I see this as a common excuse for the Weidman haters. This is just another sorry excuse to discredit Weidmans win and make your agrgument look good. This whole Maia was sick is total BS made up by Anderson nuthuggers. I want a credible link stating he was sick. I dont want to hear crap like" Maia was sniffling during the pre fight interviews so he must be sick" I want a real link stating he is sick. I want a statement from Maia or his camp or an interview stating he was sick, until then it's all a made up myth coming from Weidman haters.

You discredit Weidman for his fights about Munoz and Maia but in the same sentance you forget to mention Weidman fought Sakara with brokrn ribs on 2 weeks notice in his UFC debut in only his 5 pro fight and beat Sakara to a bloddy pulp, yet you give him no credit and I have actually seen you try to bash him in that fight also.
Listen 90% of the time fighters are going into fights injured and not 100% it happens all the time, some fighters pull out the wins when they are banged up and some lose. Thts just the way it is. Weidman has found ways to beat much more experienced fighters while BEING INJURED. Stop trying to discredit every win he has.

This is the best quote of them all" Weidman hasnt done one single thing to suggest he would last 2 mins with Silva." Ha, lol. Silva nuthugger. If guys like Lutter,Cote,Maia and leites can last more then 2 minutes then I'm sure weidman can "hang" with Silva for longer for 2 minutes.

Please find me one link stating Maia was sick. I see this as a common excuse for the Weidman haters. This is just another sorry excuse to discredit Weidmans win and make your agrgument look good. This whole Maia was sick is total BS made up by Anderson nuthuggers. I want a credible link stating he was sick. I dont want to hear crap like" Maia was sniffling during the pre fight interviews so he must be sick" I want a real link stating he is sick. I want a statement from Maia or his camp or an interview stating he was sick, until then it's all a made up myth coming from Weidman haters.

You discredit Weidman for his fights about Munoz and Maia but in the same sentance you forget to mention Weidman fought Sakara with brokrn ribs on 2 weeks notice in his UFC debut in only his 5 pro fight and beat Sakara to a bloddy pulp, yet you give him no credit and I have actually seen you try to bash him in that fight also.
Listen 90% of the time fighters are going into fights injured and not 100% it happens all the time, some fighters pull out the wins when they are banged up and some lose. Thts just the way it is. Weidman has found ways to beat much more experienced fighters while BEING INJURED. Stop trying to discredit every win he has.

This is the best quote of them all" Weidman hasnt done one single thing to suggest he would last 2 mins with Silva." Ha, lol. Silva nuthugger. If guys like Lutter,Cote,Maia and leites can last more then 2 minutes then I'm sure weidman can "hang" with Silva for longer for 2 minutes.

Pretty much this.

I just posted a funny gif of Weidman and gave my thoughts on him as a fighter

The gif has nothing to do with it I just posted it because I thought it was funny and given this is a thread about Weidman I thought it was a good time to poste is

And trust me I havent taken MW rankings seriously since I find out where they had
Boetsch,Maia,Munoz and Weidman ranked

No, you got caught trying to use those gifs against Weidman to try to prove your point. Now when multiple posters have called you out on how absurd your post was you say "I was just posting funny gifs of Weidman". Yea sure.
It was a nice try though.

Chris trained with Serras camp for only 3 months, he was dabbling in it before. He's nothing more than the next Rick Story until he can have a Jon Jones year. Get off his nuts and his one tko of a bum Munoz. He goes 5-5 with Munoz in ten fights.

Do us all a favour and delete your account

The Maia win was very impressive but mark Munoz was considered the #1 contender and also Munoz is a great wrestler and Weidman absolutely beat him down and made him look like a baby . Anderson silva almost got beat by Chael sonnen ... Chael isn't a quarter of the wrestler or striker Weidman is. Bottom line hype train silva will be finished by Weidman when they meet

Chael is better than Weidman at wrestling, takedowns, striking, gas tank, top control.

To answer the OP, Weidman is not a prodigy.

Chris trained with Serras camp for only 3 months, he was dabbling in it before. He's nothing more than the next Rick Story until he can have a Jon Jones year. Get off his nuts and his one tko of a bum Munoz. He goes 5-5 with Munoz in ten fights.

Did you watch that fight? Munoz had 0 significant strikes. Its one of the only times in UFC/MMA history that has happened.

Chael is better than Weidman at wrestling, takedowns, striking, gas tank, top control.

Weidman has better wrestling credentials and has taken down everyone he fought in MMA with relative ease. The only time he gassed was when he took a fight on very short notice. And he managed to control Leben who is known for his scrambles on the ground. Weidman has shown good striking as well and it's improving every fight.

How can you be so sure that Sonnen is so much better than Weidman in all of those areas?

I know you are a cheal fan but that is inaccurate, I agree that he may be a better takedown artist and possible wrestler but he is not a better striker.

Weidman is a much better striker then Cheal.

Weidman is undefeated and has looked great in fights he didn't take without a training camp. He also has a size and reach advantage on Silva which would be only the second time in Silva's career that he has faced someone with a height/reach advantage. I think Silva fans are scared of Weidman and like to hate him because they hope it means he never gets a chance to fight Silva. Anderson himself is refusing to fight Weidman saying he prefers to fight Bisping.

It is always a struggle to get Silva to accept fights that are not unranked guys or easy match up stylistically. Hell Silva refused to fight Sonnen forever, it took years of trash talking and Dana White strong arming to get Silva to fight Sonnen the second time. Which is understandable cause Sonnen beat the piss out of Silva the first time. Weidmans chances seem pretty slim he will ever get a title shot. Anderson will keep calling out Welterweights, mid ranked middleweights with no top 5 wins and retired unranked light heavys.

Weidman is undefeated and has looked great in fights he didn't take without a training camp. He also has a size and reach advantage on Silva which would be only the second time in Silva's career that he has faced someone with a height/reach advantage. I think Silva fans are scared of Weidman and like to hate him because they hope it means he never gets a chance to fight Silva. Anderson himself is refusing to fight Weidman saying he prefers to fight Bisping.

It is always a struggle to get Silva to accept fights that are not unranked guys or easy match up stylistically. Hell Silva refused to fight Sonnen forever, it took years of trash talking and Dana White strong arming to get Silva to fight Sonnen the second time. Which is understandable cause Sonnen beat the piss out of Silva the first time. Weidmans chances seem pretty slim he will ever get a title shot. Anderson will keep calling out Welterweights, mid ranked middleweights with no top 5 wins and retired unranked light heavys.

Silva accepted an immediate rematch with Sonnen after their first fight, which would have happened had Sonnen not decided to take peds just before the fight.

Edit: Basically, Anderson is being blamed because Sonnen failed a drug test.

Anyway, haven't other wrestler with less bjj experience accomplished more at adcc?

My guess is that Weidman is the next guy in line that will beat Anderson, that Anderson is ducking and that Anderson fans are scared of. Basically nothing we haven't heard before.

I'd consider Weidman to be a late bloomer as far as BJJ and MMA goes. He started BJJ a little later in life than most others, and I'm sure his wrestling abilities did nothing but help his BJJ. At the end of the day, I think it's all just semantics though. Being a prodigy usually specifies being young. As far as MMA goes, I don't really think he's a prodigy.

As much as I dislike him, I think Rory is the only guy I can consider to be a pure MMA prodigy mainly because he has no base, he was brought up purely in MMA, and he had his first professional fight at 16 years old iirc. I think Jon Jones would be another one as well, but he already had a great base in wrestling, unlike Rory. He wasn't a prodigy in wrestling though, but I would consider him a prodigy in MMA just because of how fast he's progressed in different skills considering how long he's trained, and the competition he beat.. Michael McDonald would be another one as well. Pretty much anyone who is fighting at the UFC level at a young age could possibly be considered a prodigy especially if they are championship material.

Back