Should chin be considered in a judges decision?

jjolin01

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I know, stupid whitebelt, and I know this will never happen, but it's something we could have a discussion about.

Say you have someone like Mark Hunt, or Roy Nelson fight someone with a suspect chin, like Andre Arlovski, and it's near dead even. Hunt/Nelson first round, second round Arlovski, 10-9. And yes, I know Arlovski KO's Nelson.

Now, a judges decision is who they think would win the fight, if it were to continue. If in the third, Arlovski lands only a few more shots, should a judge think about the chin factor in his decision on who would win, knowing that one fighter can take a better shot to the mug than the other, and that one of the fighters can get ko'd with one punch?

I know, stupid whitebelt, and I know this will never happen, but it's something we could have a discussion about.

Say you have someone like Mark Hunt, or Roy Nelson fight someone with a suspect chin, like Andre Arlovski, and it's near dead even. Hunt/Nelson first round, second round Arlovski, 10-9. And yes, I know Arlovski KO's Nelson.

Now, a judges decision is who they think would win the fight, if it were to continue. If in the third, Arlovski lands only a few more shots, should a judge think about the chin factor in his decision on who would win, knowing that one fighter can take a better shot to the mug than the other, and that one of the fighters can get ko'd with one punch?

the answer you are looking for is... no.

No, because then Bigfoot and Urijah would win every decision ever.

I've always thought that judges should be fighters or retired fighters.

Having a great chin like Roy is something you are born with. It's not some acquired skill, you cant really train hard to have a top level chin. So IMO it's a negative in a close fight like in your example.

Ugh, no!

Why is this so hard for people and athletic comissions to understand? IF a fighter moves into a position where he has more weapons to utilize (can possibly cause more damage) or move his opponent into a position where his opponent has less potential for damaging him, he is aggressing and winning position.

When it comes to punches.... I have no idea how they are going to fix that without monitors.

Having a great chin like Roy is something you are born with. It's not some acquired skill, you cant really train hard to have a top level chin. So IMO it's a negative in a close fight like in your example.

But what about all these guys, as Joe Rogan would say, are "Explosive" because of "Genetics"? If that is indeed something they are born with, should that be taken out of the equation? I'm not trying to start an arguement, just a discussion.

Sure, should give a value to each fighter's strength or weakness, considering the effect of each action based on that value, develop an equation and put it in a computer to balance the fights, for example, Silva would have a factor of 0.25, 4 actions of Silva equals one of the rival , great idea, :rolleyes:

They brought out recently clarification that good defense should not be considered whatsoever, so no.

Except that fighters can be just as bias and have equally poor reasoning skills.

Not saying I wouldn't welcome fighters into the fold of judges, but we can't assume they'll do better just becuase they're fighters.

no chin isnt a measurable attribute one and its already an advantage going into the fight why would you be re-rewarded for an advantage you already had coming in.

Mirko/Hunt in Pride is for me a good example of this arguement, to me Crocop seemed to land the better shots(LHK's, Ax kicks) but Hunt was able to take them without showing any weaknesses, does that mean he deserved the decision?

Personally my view is that one fighter clearly having another in trouble should always trump a superiority in technique but what if neither is hurt and one guy lands what look to be the bigger shots while the other is outlanding him?

Chin comes into play when assessing effective striking. If you are constantly rocking or dropping your opponent, your striking is more effective than if your opponent seems unfazed.

Hendo and Hunt would be undisputed

you basically self admit this thread is going to fail at the start. not lookin good.

Chin comes into play when assessing effective striking. If you are constantly rocking or dropping your opponent, your striking is more effective than if your opponent seems unfazed.

I agree, but if the judges have to predict the fight after each fighter winning a round, and the third round is close, with the suspect chin fighter heavily gassed and not throwing with all of his power, then what? If he couldn't KO him with the clean shots he threw during the fight, and now he's gassed, couldn't a judge say "with him gassed like he is now, he wouldn't be able to knock out so and so because his chin is just too strong"?

Back