Should chin be considered in a judges decision?

I know, stupid whitebelt, and I know this will never happen, but it's something we could have a discussion about.

Say you have someone like Mark Hunt, or Roy Nelson fight someone with a suspect chin, like Andre Arlovski, and it's near dead even. Hunt/Nelson first round, second round Arlovski, 10-9. And yes, I know Arlovski KO's Nelson.

Now, a judges decision is who they think would win the fight, if it were to continue. If in the third, Arlovski lands only a few more shots, should a judge think about the chin factor in his decision on who would win, knowing that one fighter can take a better shot to the mug than the other, and that one of the fighters can get ko'd with one punch?
I disagree fundamentally of you assessment of what a judges decision should represent. It should not be the judges opinion of who would win if the fight kept going...it should be the judges assessment of who did more while the fight was happening. If a fighter lays a serious whooping on another fighter, and the whooper is gassed, and the whoopee is still fresh, should the judge give it to the guy who got beat down on the assumption that that guy would get a sub or KO on his exhausted opponent later? The idea is absurd.

It is going to impact the decision if one fighter gets dropped with a weak jab and the other eats a huge looping right like a boss. The fighter who got dropped would be down on the scorecards, all other factors being even.

It is going to impact the decision if one fighter gets dropped with a weak jab and the other eats a huge looping right like a boss. The fighter who got dropped would be down on the scorecards, all other factors being even.

this, ofc chin is a factor.

if you get dropped by a punch that somebody else doesn't drop too ofc it will effect you negatively.

judges should be retired fighters.

however politics gets involved.

:eek:

No but I think slam dunk ability needs to be considered in the judging criteria. It really is an underrated factor in MMA.

yes. cause if you have to show your chin then you are probably losing.

Dear TS, I love your idea - except instead of trusting those damn judges with taking chin into factor, we should handicap fighters based on strengths and weaknesses.

So if you're a HW fighting Nelson, you get to hit him 20 times in the face before the fight to take into account his chin.

If you're fighting Arlovski, he gets to hit you 10 times in the face.

If you're fighting Kongo, you get two free nut shots.

If you're fighting Nick Diaz, you have to toke with him before the fight.

If you're fighting Cain, you get him to run 10 miles before the fight.

If you're fighting Overeem, you get to hit him in the liver with a baseball bat.

If you're fighting GSP, you get 4 additional special rounds automatically counted for you.

This would also solve the UFC's declining PPV sales problem.

I disagree fundamentally of you assessment of what a judges decision should represent. It should not be the judges opinion of who would win if the fight kept going...it should be the judges assessment of who did more while the fight was happening. If a fighter lays a serious whooping on another fighter, and the whooper is gassed, and the whoopee is still fresh, should the judge give it to the guy who got beat down on the assumption that that guy would get a sub or KO on his exhausted opponent later? The idea is absurd.

You're right. The judges do assess who did more in the fight they actually saw, and don't concern themselves with predicting what would have happened if the fight went on. We all know what would have happened if BJ vs Fitch continued, but it doesn't matter.

Kind of a tangent, but I'd love to see pressure/force monitors inside the fighters gloves so you could see how much impact each punch had.

Chin is already factored into judging...
Let's say fighter A hits fighter B with a punch and the fighter B just shrugs it off...
and then let's say fighter A hits fighter C with a punch, with same power as before but the fighter C flies back and lands flat on his back.
Obviously judges are gonna score bigger for the second punch...

I think you need to understand the most basic fundamentals of a system before you should recommend changes.

Fights are scored round by round, based on what happened in that round. Judging has nothing to do with predicting. Do you think they give round one to who they think will win round 2?

Is this a very subtle troll or do you really not understand the sport you claim to be a fan of?

Back