Should chin be considered in a judges decision?

lol

You know that you defend more than take downs, right? & do you really believe that if I fight someone who's renowned for his TDs & I stuff them all fight long that this will not be taken into consideration? & If a fighter can make an excellent renowned striker miss all night long, this isn't factored into the decision? What IS factored into the decision?

strikes and TDs landed, aggresion is scored too, so just defending yourself even against someone that is good at something isn't going to score you points

No, how can judges take this into account? Such a sketchy category to add.

strikes and TDs landed, aggresion is scored too, so just defending yourself even against someone that is good at something isn't going to score you points

Do you think they sit there & tally up points for every punch & TD landed? That's not how the 10-point must system works. Defense IS factored into decisions. By the logic posted, if you were to swing at me "aggressively" all fight long & not land a single punch, you would get more credit for being aggressive than I would for showing defensive technique. Does that even make sense? Although some judges value some elements in a fight more so than others, & some judges place a greater emphasis on aggression than others, aggression does not outweigh skill & technique in scoring a fight unless the aggression is more EFFECTIVE than the skill/technique. Are you trying to tell me that if my defense renders your offense INEFFECTIVE, this does not factor into the decision & you still win the fight with ineffective offense? :eek:

Winner by getting punched in the face more than my opponent. I like it!

How can a judge determine that the punches were delivered with the "same power?" Didn't know they had that technology hooked up to the fighters. I guess everyone's fighting with Ivan Drago's equipment now. & also, why is Fighter A fighting 2 fighters at the same time? Or did the judges wait for the Fighter A vs. Fighter B fight to end, hold off on the decision until they watch the Fighter A vs. Fighter C fight to end, go back & compare "power" & then judge the fights? In other words....WHAT? lol

You seem to have difficulty comprehending... something very simple...
0wned...
next...

No, because then Bigfoot and Urijah would win every decision ever.

lol touche

images

dat cleft

I know, stupid whitebelt, and I know this will never happen, but it's something we could have a discussion about.

Say you have someone like Mark Hunt, or Roy Nelson fight someone with a suspect chin, like Andre Arlovski, and it's near dead even. Hunt/Nelson first round, second round Arlovski, 10-9. And yes, I know Arlovski KO's Nelson.

Now, a judges decision is who they think would win the fight, if it were to continue. If in the third, Arlovski lands only a few more shots, should a judge think about the chin factor in his decision on who would win, knowing that one fighter can take a better shot to the mug than the other, and that one of the fighters can get ko'd with one punch?

No it's not. Back in PRIDE that was taken into consideration, but nowadays fights are scored round by round.

Now, a judges decision is who they think would win the fight, if it were to continue.

No it's not. They don't care who would win if it continued.

I don't know about considering chin, but I'm getting tired of hearing about 'significant strikes'. If you throw hundreds of significant strikes, maybe none of them were significant!
When Anderson Silva lands a significant strike, his opponent usually goes down and gets finished soon after that.
When Jon Fitch lands a significant strike, he then lands another one, and then another one, but his opponent is not only fine, but able to keep him in the guard!

If the fight ended dead even we can't assume the guy with the historically weaker chin was necessarily going to be knocked out. There are so many skills involved "IF" the fight were to go on the guy with the supposedly glass jaw could still KO the other guy or submit him. That's true regardless of any decision fight but even more so in an even decision fight.

What a stupid whitebelt question.
No, because a good chin means that your genetically gifted. Doesn't really take skill, does it?

no because its way too subjective...how do you measure chin? and in turn youd have to measure how hard someone punches as well...wouldnt work...

I agree, but if the judges have to predict the fight after each fighter winning a round, and the third round is close, with the suspect chin fighter heavily gassed and not throwing with all of his power, then what? If he couldn't KO him with the clean shots he threw during the fight, and now he's gassed, couldn't a judge say "with him gassed like he is now, he wouldn't be able to knock out so and so because his chin is just too strong"?

What? Judges don't judge a fight based on what they think would happen.

Judges judge a fight based on what had happened.

And right now, a fighter's "chin" is already directly affecting the effective striking aspect of judging.

I having to control my urge to ask the TS how old he is.

lol

You know that you defend more than take downs, right? & do you really believe that if I fight someone who's renowned for his TDs & I stuff them all fight long that this will not be taken into consideration? & If a fighter can make an excellent renowned striker miss all night long, this isn't factored into the decision? What IS factored into the decision?

What's the point of defending everything your opponent throws at you and not mounting your own offense? You will still probably lose based on lack of aggressiveness.

It's the offense that really counts, although takedown defense might help in terms of octagon control.

I started laughing just from reading the title because the answer is so obvious.

Of course chin should be judged, but not just for it's strength. Facial hair style should also be taken into consideration, same with the size and shape of the chin. Poor facial hair upkeep can easily result in a DQ.

Back