Should chin be considered in a judges decision?

Chin points for one guy = Landed punches for the other guy

Landed punches > Having a chin

Now, a judges decision is who they think would win the fight, if it were to continue.

What?

A judge's decision is who they think won the fight that just happened. Not to predict who would win an imaginary one.

In actually setting up criteria for judging it would be stupid and impossible to do fairly and without bias. If you question the validity of my state please review this man's record and fight history
leonard-garcia.104350879.jpg

Head-butting fists and KOing the air is not effective striking, but a great display of chin and poor technique

Ability to take a punch is already considered in judges scorecards. If a fighter gets hit and wobbled or dropped, that's a bad round for him and the judges score to reflect that.

If he immediately gets the takedown of course they score it for him... so I guess there are some kinks that need working out but with so much going on in this sport we're never going to be happy with the judging.

Your post is making the assumption that judges choose the winner based on who they think would win if the fight continued. Not only is that assumption wrong...but that's really just a stupid question.

I've always thought that judges should be fighters or retired fighters.

and have regular eye exams, polygraph testing for gambling, and get away from the adopted 10-point-must round-by-round scoring.

That would be perfect.

I could understand fighters training TDD and SD, but how would one train to get a strong jaw? Roy, Diego, and Hunt can just absorb ridiculous amounts of damage. That's just how they were made. TS, I get what you're saying, but it'd only apply to certain fighters.

Dear TS, I love your idea - except instead of trusting those damn judges with taking chin into factor, we should handicap fighters based on strengths and weaknesses.

So if you're a HW fighting Nelson, you get to hit him 20 times in the face before the fight to take into account his chin.

If you're fighting Arlovski, he gets to hit you 10 times in the face.

If you're fighting Kongo, you get two free nut shots.

If you're fighting Nick Diaz, you have to toke with him before the fight.

If you're fighting Cain, you get him to run 10 miles before the fight.

If you're fighting Overeem, you get to hit him in the liver with a baseball bat.

If you're fighting GSP, you get 4 additional special rounds automatically counted for you.

This would also solve the UFC's declining PPV sales problem.

Lol...this is good. I like this.:icon_chee

you don't score defense, so no

What the...? There's no way that you're saying defense isn't accounted for in judging. Nah....you wouldn't say something that ridiculous. Especially in a sport where your success & survival is directly related to your SELF-DEFENSE capabilities. Nah...you wouldn't suggest that.

I know, stupid whitebelt, and I know this will never happen, but it's something we could have a discussion about.

Say you have someone like Mark Hunt, or Roy Nelson fight someone with a suspect chin, like Andre Arlovski, and it's near dead even. Hunt/Nelson first round, second round Arlovski, 10-9. And yes, I know Arlovski KO's Nelson.

Now, a judges decision is who they think would win the fight, if it were to continue. If in the third, Arlovski lands only a few more shots, should a judge think about the chin factor in his decision on who would win, knowing that one fighter can take a better shot to the mug than the other, and that one of the fighters can get ko'd with one punch?

my expectations dropped after seeing that, this is a stereotypical whitebelt thread lol

Chin is already factored into judging...
Let's say fighter A hits fighter B with a punch and the fighter B just shrugs it off...
and then let's say fighter A hits fighter C with a punch, with same power as before but the fighter C flies back and lands flat on his back.
Obviously judges are gonna score bigger for the second punch...

How can a judge determine that the punches were delivered with the "same power?" Didn't know they had that technology hooked up to the fighters. I guess everyone's fighting with Ivan Drago's equipment now. & also, why is Fighter A fighting 2 fighters at the same time? Or did the judges wait for the Fighter A vs. Fighter B fight to end, hold off on the decision until they watch the Fighter A vs. Fighter C fight to end, go back & compare "power" & then judge the fights? In other words....WHAT? lol

Lol...this is good. I like this.:icon_chee

What the...? There's no way that you're saying defense isn't accounted for in judging. Nah....you wouldn't say something that ridiculous. Especially in a sport where your success & survival is directly related to your SELF-DEFENSE capabilities. Nah...you wouldn't suggest that.

defense isn't scored. A failed td ends up as neutral points

It pretty much is. Damage is a judging criteria so if one guy has a better chin than the other and both land a punch the guy with the better chin will obviously take less damage so I don't really understand thi thread lol

What?

A judge's decision is who they think won the fight that just happened. Not to predict who would win an imaginary one.
lol
defense isn't scored. A failed td ends up as neutral points

You know that you defend more than take downs, right? & do you really believe that if I fight someone who's renowned for his TDs & I stuff them all fight long that this will not be taken into consideration? & If a fighter can make an excellent renowned striker miss all night long, this isn't factored into the decision? What IS factored into the decision?

Back