Shogun's insanely under-rated performance against Gus in gifs!

On Sherdog, when Gus loses he is the better fighter than the opponent. When he wins, he is in a different universe.

His fans a probably insecure that Shogun is his best win by far.

Hi everybody. All of these old pride guys are 1000 years old. Time to stop thinking they are competitive anymore. Thank you.

Sig Strikes
Shogun Gus
RD1 16 of 27 - 59% 21 of 50 - 42%
RD2 15 of 38 - 39% 20 of 54 - 37%
RD3 10 of 30 - 33% 31 of 52 - 59%

Total Strikes
Shogun Gus
22 of 33 31 of 60
18 of 41 44 of 79
11 of 31 53 of 76

I watched the fight live and remember Shogun never winning the fight or exchanges. He covered and got blasted. As the fight continued it only got worse.

It was the UFC stats they were showing during the fight

I saw it too my brother. I knew something was wrong. Shogun was walking out to go fight OSP with no expression or anything what so ever. That was that same injuried zombified Shogun who Forrest and Jones beat

I really WANT to know what injuries Shogun carried into the OSP fight because there was something clearly WAYYY off with Shogun that night

Just look at the way Shogun effectively closed distance against Gus and was able to land against Gus, whos a far superior, longer, more atheltic, more skilled striker than OSP.

Its a NIGHT and day difference comparing it to the way Shogun just walked into OSP like a walking zombie with NO commitment. There was definitely something very off and wrong with Shogun that night. Was very suspicious. I hope one day Eduardo (Shogun's manager) can discuss the full details of all the fuckery that took place.

Im 100% positive Shogun carried an injury into that fight and was forced to fight anyway, plus the short notice BS and everything etc

In my opinion that OSP fight doesn't hold any relevance to me

babygorilladance.gif

Ali had 2 losses at the end of his career, when he was near 40 and already on Parkinson's meds.

Shogun was in his mid 20's when he came to the UFC and lost 8 times, and looked like poop against a mid 40's Mark Coleman.

The fact that you insist Sonnen and OSP are so bad, yet think Shogun has something left, yet still lost to them....you are getting your excuses, praises, revision all conflated and can't spin an accurate fiction here.
Shogun was in his mid 20s DEALING with chronic knee injuries that took away his prime years

Youve never competed. You have no idea about anything youre talking about here.

Also you still continue to ignore the point and grossly ignore context

Youre a delusional Shogun hater bar none

The POINT is Shogun IS insanely accomplished. To act like losses at the end of his career define him is absurd

Forget Ali, in boxing you never see boxing legends get shitted on for lossess or lossess at the end of their career PERIOD...because boxing fans are actually knowledgable and respectful

UFC fans/Shogun haters like you are simply the worst most vile scumbags on earth...acting like Shogun's losses define him, while ignoring his ALL time great resume, his all time legendary accomplishments. Truly ABSURD.

Last edited:
Mid 40's Coleman owned early 30's Stephan Bonnar.
Mid 40's Couture was HW Champion of the World.
40 year old Dan Henderson defeated Fedor and @ 43 was an injury away from fighting for the LHW title.

Shogun had two major knee surgeries prior to Griffin/ Coleman;
A 3rd prior to Jones ;
Even Freddie Roach cited his knees as an issue w/ training.

One need not argue that Shogun would beat Jones, to acknowledge that he has had insane obstacles to overcome to even remain relevant.

He didn't have obstacles other guys haven't had.

He never even missed that much time between fights. Weidman has had multiple surgeries, and was out a year before he fought Anderson.

King Mo almost died after his cadaver ACL dissolved and his staph infection started eating his leg in the hospital.

People never mention the surgeries Forrest needed, and he still beat Shogun. When Shogun was in his mid 20's, fresh out of Pride.

If anyone doubts Gus' chin, some of those gifs and the Jones spinning elbow should suffice.

It was the UFC stats they were showing during the fight….at one point in round 2 Shogun was sup on sig strikes. If you look at the numbers in round 1 and 2…they total to 41 to 31 for Gus in sig strikes…..Gus won the last part of round 2 handily where he went up a lot more on strikes. But looking at 41 to 31 sig strikes…it makes sense that at one point they were even.

It was after that 7 min mark that Gus started to dominate
Was it the 7 minute mark or the start of round 3 that Gus pulled away? Or was it close all the way through? I keep getting different versions of how Gus won this fight even though he was never in danger or losing.

"the loss to Jones while injured", my favorite part of this thread.

If anyone doubts Gus' chin, some of those gifs and the Jones spinning elbow should suffice.
Gus has a MONSTER chin

But the Jones spinning elbow is NOT indictive of anything IMO

It hit Gus on the back of his head/ear/at the crown of his head...it landed very akwardly...it messed with his balance. I doubt Gus was ever truly rocked by it

Last edited:
"the loss to Jones while injured", my favorite part of this thread.

It had nothing to do with a massive flying knee that would have poleaxed 99% of the roster on the spot.

Why does TS RANDOMLY attack people with CAPS LOCKED words. He comes off as slightly MANIC.

Serious QUESTION...is there something sexual in this Shogun worship? I know people live vicariously THROUGH their sports heroes, but this is something ELSE.

Was it the 7 minute mark or the start of round 3 that Gus pulled away? Or was it close all the way through? I keep getting different versions of how Gus won this fight even though he was never in danger or losing.

7 mins of round 2 Gus started to pull away

For those that may not believe in modern day Vikings, have a look at some of the shots that Gustafsson ate in this fight. It's older now but those shots would've flatlined anybody else in the division (maybe with the exception of Hendo but he would've shown he felt them if not been knocked down). Gus' chin is ridiculous. He made a lot of mistakes in this fight though and he's become a lot better technically since.

It had nothing to do with a massive flying knee that would have poleaxed 99% of the roster on the spot.

They've actually used that as an excuse to claim the loss doesn't count.

Shogun wasn't ready yet! Jones hit him with the knee and for the rest of the fight he couldn't get his head back!

Everything after the knee wasn't the RREEAALL Shogun.

They've actually used that as an excuse to claim the loss doesn't count.

Shogun wasn't ready yet! Jones hit him with the knee and for the rest of the fight he couldn't get his head back!

Everything after the knee wasn't the RREEAALL Shogun.

I remember those threads now.

What is interesting about that is that prime Shogun could probably still more than hold his own against the vast majority of today's "newbreed" , the exception being Jones who is too big, too rangy, and has way too good wrestling...

He would have troubles with DC too, and perhaps Davis ( weak striking, not so good ground control as the other two ) but certainly could be dangerous.

Today's Shogun though is shot (no kicks, no TDD and clinch game, poor conditionning all due to his multiple knee surgs imo) and I wish he retired or at least cut a weight class, I don't want to see him put on more embarassing OSP like performances.
His chin seems to be starting to degrade and he will soon be a gatekeeper used to promote uprising fighters.

Good post

A prime healthy Shogun in todays environment with todays training smashes everyone. Jones and DC being his ONLY tough fights

Back