Shogun's insanely under-rated performance against Gus in gifs!

War Shogun, plz go to the 185 division.

He is old and shot size isn't the reaosn he's losing nowadays he's old and done he lost to Sonnen and Hendo and both are effectively MWs and not even the biggest ones

Hendo punched the soul out of Shogun.

I saw it too my brother. I knew something was wrong when Shogun was walking out against OSP with no expression or anything what so ever. That was that same injuried zombified Shogun who Forrest and Jones beat

I really WANT to know what injuries Shogun carried into the OSP fight because there was something clearly WAYYY off with Shogun that night

Just look at the way Shogun effectively closed distance against Gus and was able to land against Gus, whos a far superior, longer, more atheltic, more skilled striker than OSP.

Its a NIGHT and day difference comparing it to the way Shogun just walked into OSP like a walking zombie with NO commitment. There was definitely something very off and wrong with Shogun that night. Was very suspicious. I hope one day Eduardo (Shogun's manager) can discuss the dull details of all the fuckery that took place.

Im 100% positive Shogun carried an injury into that fight and wad forced to fight anyway, plus the short notice BS and everything etc

In my opinion that fight doesn't hold any relevance to me

This is why Shogun fans are so amazing.

Everytime he steps into the cage, he has everything to gain, and nothing to lose. He loses-irrelevant. He wins- Shogunis back, SEE, those losses don't count! Time for a title run.

The. He loses again-irrelevant. He was injured. Didn't have that look in his eyes! Then he gets a win! The REAL Shogun!

Fight was very close until Gus ran away with it in the 3rd.

But Shogun landed very good punches, got a takedown, had a deep heel hook and wasn't getting outclassed at all until the final round.

5 rounds you cant help but think Shogun would slow down dramatically.

exactly this and shogun is even slower now... he must drop down to 185 and gain some speed back.

Shogun was a different man. You don't see it looking at his "shape". You see it on his face. Before he even walked to the cage to face OSP you could see he had already lost.

You know what

Shogun fans are still the worst. My god.

Gus is good, but extremely overrated IMO

his fight against Jones was his best fight, against Shogun didnt look impressive, and he got a great TKO against Manuwa but wasnt looking impressive at all before that

dont get me wrong, i love the guy, great athlete and personality but I just think he is overrated, for me this thread show how overrated Gus is, and not how underrated Shogun es

Go away CaliKid.

You've been banned like 10 times already.

Ali had 2 losses at the end of his career, when he was near 40 and already on Parkinson's meds.

Shogun was in his mid 20's when he came to the UFC and lost 8 times, and looked like poop against a mid 40's Mark Coleman.

The fact that you insist Sonnen and OSP are so bad, yet think Shogun has something left, yet still lost to them....you are getting your excuses, praises, revision all conflated and can't spin an accurate fiction here.

Mid 40's Coleman owned early 30's Stephan Bonnar.
Mid 40's Couture was HW Champion of the World.
40 year old Dan Henderson defeated Fedor and @ 43 was an injury away from fighting for the LHW title.

Shogun had two major knee surgeries prior to Griffin/ Coleman;
A 3rd prior to Jones ;
Even Freddie Roach cited his knees as an issue w/ training.

One need not argue that Shogun would beat Jones, to acknowledge that he has had insane obstacles to overcome to even remain relevant.

Gus clearly won all three rounds. I wouldn't call it "insanely underrated performance".

SHogun vs Gus was a nice fight, and a good performance from both guys.

But it also showed us that Shogun would struggle with this newer lightheavyweights,
Gus appeared to be the stronger man in the clinch, and also he was a little bit fresher in the 3rd round.

dropping a weight class isn't the answer, retirement is. there is only some much damage the body can take and still perform well.

What is interesting about that is that prime Shogun could probably still more than hold his own against the vast majority of today's "newbreed" , the exception being Jones who is too big, too rangy, and has way too good wrestling...

He would have troubles with DC too, and perhaps Davis ( weak striking, not so good ground control as the other two ) but certainly could be dangerous.

Today's Shogun though is shot (no kicks, no TDD and clinch game, poor conditionning all due to his multiple knee surgs imo) and I wish he retired or at least cut a weight class, I don't want to see him put on more embarassing OSP like performances.
His chin seems to be starting to degrade and he will soon be a gatekeeper used to promote uprising fighters.

For some odd reason, its been the "cool thing" on sherdog to hate on Shogun lately

No it's just that a lot of people on this board CAN'T STAND nuthugging fanboys that needlessly hype up fighters and make excuses for them like you yourself are doing right now.

So we make fun of you by hyping up the losses of the fighters you nuthug.

There is no shame in a fighter no longer being the fighter he once was. All fighters decline.

Making excuses and needlessly hyping a performance just comes off as desperate. Just don't.

I saw that fight live, and while I agreed with the decision I thought that shogun would have knocked out any other LHW had he landed the shots he did in that fight. Gus's chin was like iron that night.

wow I just found out that Shogun got knocked out by OSP

have I been missing so much MMA lately wtf

I still consider Shogun a legend and he's always "much watch" for me... that being said... he's 6-8 in the UFC. He peaked before he came to the UFC. theres no shame in that. If anything, I think that it's pretty amazing that he's fighting the way he has been on the downside of his career.

Shogun didnt "peak" before he came to the UFC

Shogum came INTO the UFC WITH INJURIES

Yet Shogun still managed to own the UFC LHW division/belt while out of his prime

That speaks a lot to Shogun

That 3rd knee injury he suffered in the rematch with Machida finally did it though

The thing is Shogun didnt even start having tough fights until INJURIES startes taking their toll on him

No man ever beat Shogun, INJURIES beat Shogun and weakened Shogun to the point other caught up

Shogun coming into the UFC healthy wouldve BEEN a long reigning champ without doubt. He already managed to win the belt after two injuries so imagine if he had come to the UFC with no injuries and smashed Forrest? Forget about it

SHogun vs Gus was a nice fight, and a good performance from both guys.

But it also showed us that Shogun would struggle with this newer lightheavyweights,
Gus appeared to be the stronger man in the clinch, and also he was a little bit fresher in the 3rd round.

Have you seen Shogun fight before this fight ? Because it showed, like fights before this that he will never be the same, its not because of competition (not that Gusta isnt a stud) , but if you see his fights in Pride , the first and second Machida fights, even the chuck fight, youll see his movement was a huge part of his success and once he stopped bouncing around like he did vs. Machida he couldnt execute what he wanted to do, ever, once he lost his speed and started looking like hes fighting in quicksand it was pretty much over for him

Back