***Sherdog Exclusive***Beta Alanine Article, by David Barr

Thanks to Bio 12 I can understand all that science talk. Anywho great posts.

Does where you feel the tingles mean anything?

i get them in different places almost everytime, popular places include back, arms, calves, hands, and sometimes even neck/face.

So, do I understand correctly that some of you are taking it before bed without having your sleep affected? I've avoided taking it late in the day, because the tingles have psyched me into thinking of its stimulating effects (even though it isn't a stimulant).

And just for the sake of more comparison, like some of you the tingles show up in different places. Usually my lips and hands, but also in my face on occassion.

So, do I understand correctly that some of you are taking it before bed without having your sleep affected? I've avoided taking it late in the day, because the tingles have psyched me into thinking of its stimulating effects (even though it isn't a stimulant).

It's not a stimulant; in fact, it's the opposite, it stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system. Therefore, it'll help you sleep:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/24986286-post737.html

Thanks! I experimented last night with a large dose (with my protein shake) about an hour before bedtime, and I believe it did help me sleep better.

Would I be wrong if I said, BA is what N.O is supposed to be, but not bullshit?

edit: I was in Popeye's and I asked if they had any BA in powder form, they reccomended me H+ Blocker, Bodybuilding.com - iSatori H+Blocker - Hydrogen Binder! On sale now!. I didn't buy anything, I like to read about supplements/reviews before I go by what a saleperson says to me.

Does anybody have an opinion on this?

Would I be wrong if I said, BA is what N.O is supposed to be, but not bullshit?

LOL, not bad. Not bad at all.

edit: I was in Popeye's and I asked if they had any BA in powder form, they reccomended me H+ Blocker, Bodybuilding.com - iSatori H+Blocker - Hydrogen Binder! On sale now!.

Does anybody have an opinion on this?

It's not a terrible formula, but it's totally unnecessary, and brutally overpriced. It's like paying 40 bucks for 150g of BA, assuming there's actually 5g of BA in every scoop.

The histidine is useless, because we have more than we need to bind with BA to make carnosine. BA has always been the limiting factor.

Citrulline malate had some hype, the the wheels fell off with a few studies. It's been talked about in D&S, and Dave Barr has a great article on it.

They put ZMA right into the formula. Not a bad idea, but once again, can be found way cheaper on it's own.

Finally, one has to question why they advise to take it preWO, especially when we know ZMA AND BA are most beneficial PWO.

I didn't buy anything, I like to read about supplements/reviews before I go by what a saleperson says to me.

THAT is what I like to hear. A person applying common sense. My faith in human nature has been renewed this Monday morning.

So basically what you are saying is that its ok, just no better than the cheaper counterparts without the useless crap added to it? I have 3 sample packets that I'm going to start using tomorrow. But I can't see myself buying a tub of it. What BA supplement do you use?

So basically what you are saying is that its ok, just no better than the cheaper counterparts without the useless crap added to it? I have 3 sample packets that I'm going to start using tomorrow. But I can't see myself buying a tub of it. What BA supplement do you use?

I just buy my BA from Bulk Nutrition, 1000g container. I believe True Protein also carries it now.

Yes, and TP seems to getting more new stuff every day.

Too much stuff. They recently jumped on the joint formula and "sleep stack". I love TP but I think there trying to create a demand for useless supplements.

Figured I'd post my BA question here as not to bump some 9 month old post or whatnot.

I'm on day 13 now of my loading phase. At first I got a bit of the tingles, still do maybe once every 5 days but doesn't change depending on 2g a serving or 3g. But yesterday after my 2nd 2g serving of the day, about the same time as I would get the tingling (bout 30 minutes after I took it) I started to get extremely itchy, like friggin itching powder itchy.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has this side effect or am I just maybe getting some offset of the tingles. When I got the tingling it was mainly in my face and hands, but this itching is all over and sofar since I started it yesterday I would get it right about 30 minutes after I take a serving, than about 2hr later its gone.

yeah i ran into that a few times , happened to me the first few times. almost burning itching feeling..not fun, just a little tingly now though, seemed to get better with time.

yeah i ran into that a few times , happened to me the first few times. almost burning itching feeling..not fun, just a little tingly now though, seemed to get better with time.

See the little burning tingle I got to start with didn't bother me at all. To a point it felt envigorating. This is just like I fell in itching powder, or a pile of fire ants lol. It may just be that the last few days have been kinda shitty and muggy in NYC and just a coinidence.

See the little burning tingle I got to start with didn't bother me at all. To a point it felt envigorating. This is just like I fell in itching powder, or a pile of fire ants lol. It may just be that the last few days have been kinda shitty and muggy in NYC and just a coinidence.

Are you sure it's the BA?

Love your richly ****phorical descriptions of your conditions btw.

Where does one find itching powder? Seems like it'd lend to some great practical jokes.

Are you sure it's the BA?

Love your richly ****phorical descriptions of your conditions btw.

Where does one find itching powder? Seems like it'd lend to some great practical jokes.

I'd assume its not the BA just because I was good for 12 days of 8Grams without having this problem, i'm more or less chalking it up to the weather but just wanted to make it 100% sure.

As for the itching powder i'm sure any joke store or spencer's gift would have it, think its just pepper.

I'm finding the same thing. My face when I train feels like i've got ants crawling across it. Then it goes away. Wierd....:redface:

I was doing some research on beta alanine and carnosine and came across this Study

"beta Alanine supplementation augments muscle carnosine content and attenuates
fatigue during repeated isokinetic contraction bouts in trained sprinters"

go to http://***.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/103/5/1736 for the full pdf version.

Back