***Sherdog Exclusive***Beta Alanine Article, by David Barr

Thanks for this David

In short, the only advantage it confers is one of quicker saturation.
This is great for impatient people with ADD (like me).

Good reply. I think posters here keep expecting you and I to tangle. lol

But if we have access to the same information, then granted theres areas where one hasn't had the time to study, I don't see why we would.

I totally agree that loading is not necessary. That said, I often employ a more realistic loading phase (20-25g a day is just ridiculous) simply because it provides faster results. Creatine is so cheap that it's not a big deal.

In short, the only advantage it confers is one of quicker saturation.
This is great for impatient people with ADD (like me).

with BA i didn't worry about loading. i've taken ~6 grams daily for a few weeks and have already noticed a positive result. like others have said, its not a miracle supplement, but it does allow me to train just a little harder for longer before feeling the burn/fatigue and i also feel that the recovery is much quicker. i always feel great the day after a good workout.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "these types of supplements"...?

It's tough to quantify what I meant actually. Umm, I guess things that aren't obvious regarding their benefits. Like I take whey because it's protein which helps muscles grow, and fish oil because it's positive effects are well known, and greens/multi because it also has well-known benefits.

But some of this stuff like creatine and hemotrophics and the like that may be well known in the sports world but haven't become "maintstream" yet, that's what I meant by "these types of supplements".

Good reply. I think posters here keep expecting you and I to tangle. lol

But if we have access to the same information, then granted theres areas where one hasn't had the time to study, I don't see why we would.

playground-bullying.jpg

How Do I Use It?

Like creatine monohydrate, BA is loaded for a period of weeks before decreasing to a maintenance dose. Commonly a total of 8g is used in divided doses for ~20 days. Once saturation is reached, 6g is used in divided doses.

I assume that by "divided doses" you mean 2 doses of 4g/3g each? How does that impact BA's efficiency vs. taking it all in one dose daily (8g/6g)?

But some of this stuff like creatine and hemotrophics and the like that may be well known in the sports world but haven't become "maintstream" yet, that's what I meant by "these types of supplements".

I can understand any bit of scrutiny based on questionable advertising by Sports Nutrition companies, but I think you might be being a little too selective. The benefits of creatine have been clear and known for years, and what beta-alinine does is very clear as well.

Somehow creatine got confused for being a "mass builder"...so to this day a lot of people associate it with gaining size, which just isn't true on it's face. But again that's due to silly advertising. Most anyone whose researched the topic would know better and be able to easily explain it. Same with BA.

I can understand any bit of scrutiny based on questionable advertising by Sports Nutrition companies, but I think you might be being a little too selective. The benefits of creatine have been clear and known for years, and what beta-alinine does is very clear as well.

Somehow creatine got confused for being a "mass builder"...so to this day a lot of people associate it with gaining size, which just isn't true on it's face. But again that's due to silly advertising. Most anyone whose researched the topic would know better and be able to easily explain it. Same with BA.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that I was suspicious of it. I am just having enough trouble getting a good diet and exercise routine nailed down that going to that level of specialization in my supplementation just seems excessive to me at the moment.

This might be a newb question but can someone tell me how taking Beta Alanine compares with BCAA's? Is there a difference?

Huge difference, they don't even remotely do the same things.

BCAA's - Prevent muscle wasting when used pre-workout. Adding them to protein in more fortified numbers may also assist with protein synthesis.

BA - Delays onset of fatigue by soaking up hydrogen ions after converting to carnosine.

I assume that by "divided doses" you mean 2 doses of 4g/3g each? How does that impact BA's efficiency vs. taking it all in one dose daily (8g/6g)?

I'm not aware of any direct comparison studies, but the divided doses will help with the paresthesia (tingling) if you don't like it.

I'm not aware of any direct comparison studies, but the divided doses will help with the paresthesia (tingling) if you don't like it.

Ah, ok. I thought maybe there was more to it than just avoiding paresthesia. Thanks for the reply, David!

I am using ON Threshold for my BA.
I take just one scoop which is 1.6 grams of BA twice a day and darn I feel the tingling. I did a double scoop the other day and it was worse.
I guess I need to up my dosage a bit. Been on it two weeks now and am already liking it just on the little I am taking.
I have noticed an increase in sweating during my workout and for a while afterwards.
Anybody else notice this?

Thanks

Bry

All the products Ive seen recommend between 3-4 g per day.

However, David is recommending 8g to load and then 6g maintenance.

I was just wondering why he is recommending double what most manufacturers are recommending? Especially since they might want to get people to use more?

Btw I was very suprised not to find any at my job @ the vitamin shoppe...guess no 25% discount for me haha

Read my other post

250g for $15 or 100g for 36.99

Which would you choose

I ordered the 1000 gram product you suggest in them other post this morning Ian...thank you! Now i';m just trying to go through the threads and figure out what my dossage should be and when I should gtake it, I'm taking superpump250 and sizeon before/during myh workouts, and superpump has taurine in it so I read that its better not to mix the two...would it be acceptible to take servings of BA in the morning and night with my vits?

Back