***Sherdog Exclusive***Beta Alanine Article, by David Barr

MikeMartial

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sherdog Exclusive:
Beta Alanine for Combat Athletes

by David Barr

Original text can be found on David's webite, Raise the Barr, here.

Brief Overview: This literature review outlines some of the evidence supporting Beta-Alanine use for athletes. This supplement is ideal for combat athletes because of it

Steroid-Like Effects

One of the lamest marketing ploys used by supplement companies was the claim that their product would yield "steroid-like effects." No one is moronic enough to us this term now... but then again, does Carnosine supplementation yield steroid-like effects? By definition, YES it does! Now, does this mean that you'll quickly throw 50lbs on your bench or gain 10lbs of muscle in a week? Well not exactly, because the effects or BA supplementation are "steroid like" in terms of type of effects, not in magnitude. This effect similarity is evidenced by the fact that BA will allow for increased work capacity and resistance to anaerobic fatigue. Again, revisits the idea that you can push harder to get a stronger stimulus for muscle adaptation (6,13).

With regard to on-field performance enhancement, being able to resist fatigue while maintaining a high muscle force output will optimize the overall execution of your task - and your opponents. Taking this one step further, it is interesting to note that among the factors influencing muscle Carnosine concentrations, androgens are critical. It has been shown that Testosterone levels regulate Carnosine concentration, with higher Testosterone resulting in greater muscle Carnosine (10). This means that the effects of androgens can be partially attributed to increasing Carnosine levels! Based on the similarity between types of benefits from both BA supplementation and androgen use, it shouldn't be surprising that the two are so closely related. Even if you don't use BA during your cycle of anabolics, its necessity in Post Cycle Therapy is evident.
Potential Downsides

As with any new product, there is always concern about side effects, and rightly so! Fortunately, as a naturally occurring substance in our body, enhancing Carnosine levels has a predominantly positive effect. The only reported "side effect" is an initial tingling feeling in the hands and feet when too much is taken. This temporary effect is not unhealthy at all, but rather involves the mild stimulation of sensory nerves that dissipates with continued use. Interestingly, many athletes report that they enjoy this feeling for one reason or another, while some feel nothing at all. Taking smaller, more frequent, doses have been shown to completely abolish this effect (8).

Who Uses Beta-Alanine

Much like creatine, one of the strong points of BA is that its use as a supplement is widely applicable, by both athletes and those interested in changing their physique. The people who benefit most from BA supplementation are the same as those who benefit from creatine. These athletes play sports including: football, hockey, wrestling/MMA, track etc. The ability of BA supplementation to enhance contraction speed, even makes it useful for sports like table tennis, where quickness and agility are paramount. Of course, BA is perfect for people looking to gain muscle and strength - just like creatine. Finally, due to the potential of enhancing neural recovery, beta alanine supplementation works well for strength athletes and powerlifters.

Summary of Effects

In summary, the following effects are noted due to Beta Alanine supplementation:

* faster muscle contraction
* resistance to anaerobic fatigue
* increased stimulus for strength/muscle recovery
* enhanced neural protection and recovery

Conclusions

There are few supplements around these days that we can actually trust, so it's pretty exciting when something like Beta Alanine comes around. With the numerous benefits to the human body, coupled with the observed increase in athletic performance, Beta Alanine is sure to be around for years to come!

References

1. Avena RM, Bowen WJ. Effects of carnosine and anserine on muscle adenosine triphosphatases. J Biol Chem. 1969 Mar 25;244(6):1600-4. 66% increase in activity

2. Boldyrev AA, Stvolinsky SL, Tyulina OV, Koshelev VB, Hori N, Carpenter DO. Biochemical and physiological evidence that carnosine is an endogenous neuroprotector against free radicals. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 1997 Apr;17(2):259-71.

3. Boldyrev A, Bulygina E, Leinsoo T, Petrushanko I, Tsubone S, Abe H. Protection of neuronal cells against reactive oxygen species by carnosine and related compounds. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2004 Jan;137(1):81-8.

4. Fowles JR, Green HJ, Tupling R, O'Brien S, Roy BD. Human neuromuscular fatigue is associated with altered Na+-K+-ATPase activity following isometric exercise. J Appl Physiol. 2002 Apr;92(4):1585-93.

5. Green HJ Mechanisms of muscle fatigue in intense exercise. J Sports Sci. 1997 Jun;15(3):247-56.

6. Harris RC, Hill C, Wise JA. Effect of Combined

Excellent info again. I've been taking BA for about a month and a half now and it really is making a positive difference to my training. Thanks for posting this, quality article.

Thanks where can I buy it? I am located in Canada. Hell I would even be interested in selling it for my store.

now thank david for writing it and being on the D&S board :icon_twis

Exactly; I've just posted what David has written FOR Sherdog. :icon_chee

NAFS said:
Thanks where can I buy it? I am located in Canada. Hell I would even be interested in selling it for my store.

I've purchased bulk beta alanine from both True Protein and Bulk Nutrition.

I've purchased bulk beta alanine from both True Protein and Bulk Nutrition.

Pfff, mine >>>>> yours.

Custom supplements FTW.

Believe me I'm as surprised as you are. But John wants to get into what's applicable for Fighters, because of the market here in Vegas. It's a good niche for him, and I'm his guinea pig.

When I was in TO I'd order everything online from across the border. There shouldn't be any customs issues with BA.

boo i want this stuff now, any particular brands to look for or are they all alike?

Thanks for the article! I've been ignorant of BA and it's effects because I've never really been interested in these types of supplements, but now that I read about the benefits I might give it a try sometime down the road.

David, any chance on writing an article like this on Creatine? I'm afraid I missed that bandwagon too:redface:

Dave, what is your personal recommendation on dosing?

Thanks for the article! I've been ignorant of BA and it's effects because I've never really been interested in these types of supplements, but now that I read about the benefits I might give it a try sometime down the road.

David, any chance on writing an article like this on Creatine? I'm afraid I missed that bandwagon too:redface:

From the man himself: Creatine FAQ

Dave, what is your personal recommendation on dosing?

This is taken from the Top 3 Performance Supplements Article

How Do I Use It?

Like creatine monohydrate, BA is loaded for a period of weeks before decreasing to a maintenance dose. Commonly a total of 8g is used in divided doses for ~20 days. Once saturation is reached, 6g is used in divided doses.

boo i want this stuff now, any particular brands to look for or are they all alike?

I usually prefer bulk supplements to specific products. The latter often have superfluous "bells and whistles". BA from reputable sources should be the same.

I've been ignorant of BA and it's effects because I've never really been interested in these types of supplements

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "these types of supplements"...?

Like creatine monohydrate

Every clinical study I've ever read suggests that creatine monohydrate works fine without the loading phase, meaning just beginning supplementation with say, 5g per day. Do you feel loading is necessary to gain a specific advantage over use without it?

I totally agree that loading is not necessary. That said, I often employ a more realistic loading phase (20-25g a day is just ridiculous) simply because it provides faster results. Creatine is so cheap that it's not a big deal.

In short, the only advantage it confers is one of quicker saturation.
This is great for impatient people with ADD (like me).

Every clinical study I've ever read suggests that creatine monohydrate works fine without the loading phase, meaning just beginning supplementation with say, 5g per day. Do you feel loading is necessary to gain a specific advantage over use without it?

Back