Seperating fact from fiction

Born Fighting by Jim Webb. Great book about how the Scots-Irish culture helped shape America. Includes a decent amount of early Scottish history. One of the best non-scholarly sources I've come across.

The Declaration of Independence was influenced by the Declaration of Arbroath. IIRC, the majority of the Founding Fathers were of either Scottish or Irish ancestry.

The Confederate Stars and Bars is of course based on a St Andrews Cross aka the Saltire.

that one is confirmed. He said it in an interview that it was one of the hardest things he's ever done because he had no straps and had to bear hug it and lift.

that's not true, it's an exaggeration.....it was only 8 flights of stairs lol

How tall are you? I believe Karelin was 6'3. To even be able to get under a bar at that height is impressive.

I'm 6' even.

I think my best Zercher deadlift, from quite some time ago, was around 365. I have video of me doing 350-355 at a bodyweight of about 175lbs. It's not up anymore, but any of the guys who have been here for a few years have probably seen it and can vouch for me...this is all in the context of a "Zercher Deadlift Challenge" we had a couple years ago. There were several people ahead of me in that contest as well.

My point is, if I could Zercher deadlift in the 350-365 range as a 175lb newb kid, a 400lb Zercher isn't all that impressive. It's the sort of thing that deserves a "Great job!" in the training logs forum...not the sort of thing you build a legend around.

Herschel Walker- one of the greatest running backs of all time supposedly never lifted weights. he did sit ups, push ups, and chin ups for thousands of reps every single day without taking days off. REALLY???

I call BS on this. You don't get that kinda body doing three exercises

I mean James' post pretty much answers TS' questions. Hence the Thread is, for all intents and purposes, finished.

But it was late, I was tired and I could'nt be bothered posting all of the above. I relied on everyone else being intelligent enough to work out the meaning.

In retrospect, that might have been a mistake...

You can`t type, can`t read... but we are obviously not "intelligent enough" to deal with you.

I mean James' post pretty much answers TS' questions. Hence the Thread is, for all intents and purposes, finished.

But it was late, I was tired and I could'nt be bothered posting all of the above. I relied on everyone else being intelligent enough to work out the meaning.

In retrospect, that might have been a mistake...

You typed "Thread.", though, so the '/' could have just replaced the '.'

But, you posted "Thread." and expected everyone to deduce its meaning?

I'm 6' even.

I think my best Zercher deadlift, from quite some time ago, was around 365. I have video of me doing 350-355 at a bodyweight of about 175lbs. It's not up anymore, but any of the guys who have been here for a few years have probably seen it and can vouch for me...this is all in the context of a "Zercher Deadlift Challenge" we had a couple years ago. There were several people ahead of me in that contest as well.

My point is, if I could Zercher deadlift in the 350-365 range as a 175lb newb kid, a 400lb Zercher isn't all that impressive. It's the sort of thing that deserves a "Great job!" in the training logs forum...not the sort of thing you build a legend around.

hmmm maybe I was a little hasty. do you use padding in the crook of your arm to cushion the weight or do you just "man up"? I'm a fairly strong guy but cannot come close to 400 in a zercher squat or even 350 and I'm about an inch or 2 taller than you. Maybe I should focus on this lift a bit more so i don't feel like such a puss :mad:

that one is confirmed. He said it in an interview that it was one of the hardest things he's ever done because he had no straps and had to bear hug it and lift.

all because he didn't want to pay the extra $50 to have the delivery guys from the store take it up to his apartment. Now that is one strong cheap bastard right there.

hmmm maybe I was a little hasty. do you use padding in the crook of your arm to cushion the weight or do you just "man up"? I'm a fairly strong guy but cannot come close to 400 in a zercher squat or even 350 and I'm about an inch or 2 taller than you. Maybe I should focus on this lift a bit more so i don't feel like such a puss :mad:

Do long sleeves count as padding? I usually wore long sleeves when I zerchered, to minimize the abrasions. Still bruised like crazy, though.

You typed "Thread.", though, so the '/' could have just replaced the '.'

But, you posted "Thread." and expected everyone to deduce its meaning?

Internet is srs bsns. Please stop intimidating people in to posting according to your guidelines. You're a bully.

all because he didn't want to pay the extra $50 to have the delivery guys from the store take it up to his apartment. Now that is one strong cheap bastard right there.

hahaha I never heard that before. now that's cheap.

Do long sleeves count as padding? I usually wore long sleeves when I zerchered, to minimize the abrasions. Still bruised like crazy, though.

I guess since it's getting cold out now I can wear a thick hoodie.

You can`t type, can`t read... but we are obviously not "intelligent enough" to deal with you.

Well done; the first step is admitting you have a problem.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now, lets get this THREAD back on track!:icon_chee

I doubt it.

That's Finnegan. Check his videos, he also does a 405 zercher deadlift.

He's 6'1".

Are you challenging me? :D My best zercher is 355. I have video of me doing 350 a few months before that. Back then, my deadlift 1RM was 455 and my front 1RM was either 270 or 280.

Now, my deadlift 1RM is 510 (+55lbs) and my front squat 1RM is 320 (+40-50lbs). So, before I was zerchering about 77% of my deadlift 1RM and about 127% of my front squat. A 400lb zercher DL would be about 78% of my current deadlift 1RM and 125% of my current FS 1RM.

Haven't done it yet, but it sure seems pretty plausible to me.

Of course, my point in all of this isn't "I can zercher DL 400!" My point is, if I'm anywhere in the ballpark of of a 400lb zercher DL, then a 400lb zercher DL isn't a big deal, because I'm not all that strong.

I guess since it's getting cold out now I can wear a thick hoodie.

I'd try a long sleeve tee, or, I think I'm wearing a rashguard in the video I've referred to. Something tells me you wouldn't want a bunch of bulky, loose material between you and the bar.

I'm more impressed by poor people in the 1800s who built railroads or dug canals and mines and stuff on like 1 meal a day. Imagine swinging a hammer and carrying iron and wooden beams for like 16 hours straight. People are too comfortable today. I believe some of these super athletes

Are you challenging me? :D My best zercher is 355. I have video of me doing 350 a few months before that. Back then, my deadlift 1RM was 455 and my front 1RM was either 270 or 280.

Now, my deadlift 1RM is 510 (+55lbs) and my front squat 1RM is 320 (+40-50lbs). So, before I was zerchering about 77% of my deadlift 1RM and about 127% of my front squat. A 400lb zercher DL would be about 78% of my current deadlift 1RM and 125% of my current FS 1RM.

Haven't done it yet, but it sure seems pretty plausible to me.

Of course, my point in all of this isn't "I can zercher DL 400!" My point is, if I'm anywhere in the ballpark of of a 400lb zercher DL, then a 400lb zercher DL isn't a big deal, because I'm not all that strong.

I'd try a long sleeve tee, or, I think I'm wearing a rashguard in the video I've referred to. Something tells me you wouldn't want a bunch of bulky, loose material between you and the bar.

Damnit! My deadlift is higher than yours but my zercher does not come close. I think it may be more of a flexibility issue for me. But I agree, if you are remotely close to 400 it's definately possible for a 300 pound Russian esperiment to have done so aswell.

Back