Seperating fact from fiction

KILL KILL

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Over the years I've been reading about some of the greatest athetes (specifically wrestlers) of all time, learning as much as I can about them as far as training techniques and daily workload etc etc. I keep running into the same problem. Some of these athletes are either superhumans or their stats and training routines have reached an almost mythical status that completely go against science and would break a normal human. How much of this can really be true??

For example. The Great Gamma. Supposedly the greatest wrestler to ever live with a record of 5000-0 (obviuosly inflated). He traveled the world taking on all challengers and some of europes best wrestlers at the time. From what I can gather, his daily workouts went as such: he would routinely do thousands of hindu squats and push ups a day, would wrestle 40 different partners, would also dig his hands into a pot of thick clay and mash it between his fingers for grip training. he would bear hug tree stumps and attempt to rip them out of the ground. All of which was done without the aid of animal meat, because he was hindu. But he was known to drink lots of milk. he was 5'7 almost 260 pounds.

Aleksander Karelin- In his prime he supposedly zercher deadlifted over 400 pounds. Yes the man was an absolute freak of nature. He's the man in my av but standing over 6 foot tall a zercher deadlift of over 400 pounds is unreal for a man of that height. he was a wrestler, not a professional powerlifter.

Dan Gable- There are too many crazy stories to add. where would I even start? But how many of these stories are slightly exaggerated? I read an interview from one of his olympic training partners that said on any given day gable could walk into the wrestling room and beat any guy in there in any weight class. he wrestled at 149 and he could beat an olympic heavyweight???

Herschel Walker- one of the greatest running backs of all time supposedly never lifted weights. he did sit ups, push ups, and chin ups for thousands of reps every single day without taking days off. REALLY???

See what I'm getting at? 3 out of 4 of these athletes are still alive, one of which still competes. Either people completely over exaggerate the work ethics of some athletes or none of us are working hard enough. How do we seperate fact from fiction? the greatest athletes of our time nowadays couldn't keep up with those stats without completely overtraining and hindering performance.

People embellish. It's also a game of telephone most of the time. A lot of people are full of shit. What else do you want me to say?

I really dont know how much of what is said is true.I guess if you are Olympic calibre though obviously you can do some crazy shit.

I really dont know how much of what is said is true.I guess if you are Olympic calibre though obviously you can do some crazy shit.

Look at Kurt Angle, winning the Gold with a broken neck.

Look at Kurt Angle, winning the Gold with a broken neck.

true. someone told me his book had info on some of his training techniques pre olympics. it involved sprinting up and down hills with another guy on his back for hours at a time and he claimed he would squat sets of 80 reps with 225 (which seems kind of unreasonable)

true. someone told me his book had info on some of his training techniques pre olympics. it involved sprinting up and down hills with another guy on his back for hours at a time and he claimed he would squat sets of 80 reps with 225 (which seems kind of unreasonable)

That's the thing with Angle, especially since he moved into pro-wrestling. You don't know what to believe. The neck's true though.

That's the thing with Angle, especially since he moved into pro-wrestling. You don't know what to believe. The neck's true though.

yeah I don't know what to make of the guy. I think a lot of what he says is bunk. But yes the neck thing is very well documented.

yeah I don't know what to make of the guy. I think a lot of what he says is bunk. But yes the neck thing is very well documented.

Plus if it's from his autobiography, I'm pretty sure it was ghost written. You never know just how much involvement the "author" had under those circumstances.

I actually grew up in Hershel Walker's home town. Wrightsville Ga. He even came to my 4th grade field day!

Apparently his WO claims are legit but he is pretty much just a freak. I mean besides the college and NFL success, he was also the state 100m, 200m, AND shot-put champion. He also was good enough to have a stint as professional ballerina.

Plus his cardio routine was on point

I don't know if I believe the routines, but I believe a lot of these mythical athletes worked damn hard every day. I believe that the harder you work, the better you will be. Yes there is such a thing as too much training, but I just think that your body is able to build up to doing a lot of work every day, or more than most think.

Also Karelin zercher deadlifting 400... no offense, but I don't find that impressive. I'm 6' and I can deadlift 315 and I am by no means strong. Judging by what I've seen Kareling wrestle like, I think someone like him would be able to do something like 500, or more.

Last edited:
Karelin used to ragdoll some pretty big guys around, guys that most people had no chance of throwing.

I don't know if I believe the routines, but I believe a lot of these mythical athletes worked damn hard every day. I believe that the harder you work, the better you will be. Yes there is such a thing as too much training, but I just think that your body is able to build up to doing a lot of work every day, or more than most think.

Also Karelin zercher deadlifting 400... no offense, but I don't find that impressive. I'm 6' and I can deadlift 315 and I am by no means strong. Judging by what I've seen Kareling wrestle like, I think someone like him would be able to do something like 500, or more.

This. Too many people claim overtraining when really they just arnt used to the amount of work one has to do to be competative. Your body gets used to it. That being said, there is a reason these were considered "freaks." their routines cannot be ours simply because they won every genetic lottery, plus trained full time, and to be honest are the subjects of pretty wild exaggeration.

However as a transplanted Iowan I can safely say every single story concerning dan gable is true. He looks at guys and they pin themselves. true story.

This. Too many people claim overtraining when really they just arnt used to the amount of work one has to do to be competative. Your body gets used to it. That being said, there is a reason these were considered "freaks." their routines cannot be ours simply because they won every genetic lottery, plus trained full time, and to be honest are the subjects of pretty wild exaggeration.

However as a transplanted Iowan I can safely say every single story concerning dan gable is true. He looks at guys and they pin themselves. true story.

Thread.

I think that Karelin being able to zercher deadlift 400+ is fairly reasonable given he was able to hoist 286lbs men over his head starting from the floor.

I agree that all of the these men won the genetic lottery the same way guys like einstien and hawking won the intelligence lottery, no matter what some of us may do we will never be as smart or strong and these guys. That said, all of the aforementioned people did put in a lot of time and dedication to their craft to get where they got and that can't be taken away from them.

Didn't Herschel also say in a recent interview that he only eats once a day, and during that meal he only has some bread and salad O.O

Exaggeration is the way of the world, I'm sure a lot of stories are true. Although people enjoy creating a more exciting scenario for the story so exaggeration can allow more attention....sooooo a lot is fake. Interesting stories though.

Back