Seperating fact from fiction

I think a lot of people succeed in spite of their training routines. Choose your parents wisely kids.

The wrestlers he listed did not succeed in spite of their training.

Some that I've heard: Eddie Robinson front-squatted 315 for 50 reps. Reg Park began every workout(at least in 1968 based on what the article said) with 500 lb squats and 1000 calf raises, arlovski began every day with an hour run then ate 12 eggs and 12 oz steak for breakfast(no carbs whatsoever) then did 3 hrs of boxing(wheres he gettin his energy for all this?), arnold's insane extreme high-volume split where every muscle group got 3 or more times per week averaging 20-30 sets per muscle group, and just about everything I've ever heard about bruce lee, chuck norris, or dan gable.

I don't know if I believe the routines, but I believe a lot of these mythical athletes worked damn hard every day. I believe that the harder you work, the better you will be. Yes there is such a thing as too much training, but I just think that your body is able to build up to doing a lot of work every day, or more than most think.

Also Karelin zercher deadlifting 400... no offense, but I don't find that impressive. I'm 6' and I can deadlift 315 and I am by no means strong. Judging by what I've seen Kareling wrestle like, I think someone like him would be able to do something like 500, or more.
Are you fuckin kidding me? Look up what a zercher deadlift is. 400 is insane on that lift. I bet karelin had a normal deadlift in the 600-700 range. Plus, I have seen Karelin pretty much zercher deadlift 270 pound flailing guys with olympic caliber training from a gut wrench over his head. The guy is clearly an insane athlete with insane genetic gifts and an insane training regime seems par for the course.

Of course there will be bullshit everywhere you turn: Thats just how sensationalism works. For example, I have a Joe Louis biography with a picture in it of Joe Louis chopping wood during a training camp. The caption read something to the effect of "Although a popular excercise among some boxers, Joe did not incorporate wood chopping into his training regime. This photo was taken merely for show."

The great Gama was no doubt part legend, but he also incorporated a lot of macebell from i have heard. No doubt you can get big lifting people over your head and swinging a huge macebell around all day.

Are you fuckin kidding me? Look up what a zercher deadlift is. 400 is insane on that lift. I bet karelin had a normal deadlift in the 600-700 range. Plus, I have seen Karelin pretty much zercher deadlift 270 pound flailing guys with olympic caliber training from a gut wrench over his head. The guy is clearly an insane athlete with insane genetic gifts and an insane training regime seems par for the course.

Made a mistake, I meant to say I zercher deadlifted 315. As I said, I think that someone like karelin would be able to zercher deadlift something like 500, or more.

-Genetics
-Exaggeration/Misinterpretation/Misunderstanding
-Acclimation--and this is very important. Who cares what so-and-so did every day or whatever, if doing that thing did not make him stronger/better conditioned/etc. I think it's very conceivable to work up to what seems like a ridiculously high workload, especially when it comes to non-CNS intensive exercise. Hindu squats, push ups, sit ups, etc. are all good examples. However, once you hit you your 1000 reps a day or whatever, what are you accomplishing if you do that the same thing for the rest of your training life? Not a whole lot. No new stimulus=no new adaptation. At best, you'll spin your wheels and stay about the same. If you didn't win the genetic lottery, you'll crash and burn.

Also, A 400lb Zercher deadlift is not a big deal at all. I'm fairly certain I could do that, and I'm not that strong.

I think a lot of people succeed in spite of their training routines. Choose your parents wisely kids.

Haha agreed. Plus I am scottish. What do I win?

Btw any suggestions for some good scottish history reading?

Lol.

Did you mean "/thread"? The "/" isn't a typo.

I mean James' post pretty much answers TS' questions. Hence the Thread is, for all intents and purposes, finished.

But it was late, I was tired and I could'nt be bothered posting all of the above. I relied on everyone else being intelligent enough to work out the meaning.

In retrospect, that might have been a mistake...

-Genetics
-Exaggeration/Misinterpretation/Misunderstanding
-Acclimation--and this is very important. Who cares what so-and-so did every day or whatever, if doing that thing did not make him stronger/better conditioned/etc. I think it's very conceivable to work up to what seems like a ridiculously high workload, especially when it comes to non-CNS intensive exercise. Hindu squats, push ups, sit ups, etc. are all good examples. However, once you hit you your 1000 reps a day or whatever, what are you accomplishing if you do that the same thing for the rest of your training life? Not a whole lot. No new stimulus=no new adaptation. At best, you'll spin your wheels and stay about the same. If you didn't win the genetic lottery, you'll crash and burn.

Also, A 400lb Zercher deadlift is not a big deal at all. I'm fairly certain I could do that, and I'm not that strong.

How tall are you? I believe Karelin was 6'3. To even be able to get under a bar at that height is impressive.

Depends on what part of Scottish History you're interested in, James; you're looking at several thousand years. All the way back to the Romans building big fuck off walls to prevent themselves being raped, killed and eaten(sometimes not in that order:icon_twis)by the Picts...

It was once said that Karelin carried a refridgerator on his back up 9 flights of stairs.

WAR KARELIN!

This is a zercher deadlift

Notice the guy is probably 5'6 at the tallest. For a man 6'3 getting the bar in the crook of the arm is incredibly hard, let alone move over 400 pounds like that. i'm not saying it's impossible that he did it, it's just a pretty damn impressive feat for a man of that height that does not focus solely on powerlifting

Born Fighting by Jim Webb. Great book about how the Scots-Irish culture helped shape America. Includes a decent amount of early Scottish history. One of the best non-scholarly sources I've come across.

It was once said that Karelin carried a refridgerator on his back up 9 flights of stairs.

WAR KARELIN!

that one is confirmed. He said it in an interview that it was one of the hardest things he's ever done because he had no straps and had to bear hug it and lift.

Back