Seeking Criticism/Support and Gains

Went for a 3 mile walk with a 20lb vest on. It took 55 minutes. I think it complemented the squats from earlier pretty well.

congrats on the DL PR!

Thanks!

Took a 3 mile walk today as active recovery.

I have a strange rash on my leg, several people have said that it looks like lyme disease... SWEET! I'm going to go to the doctor first thing in the AM before I goto the gym and get it looked at...

My 7/23 Workout:

Warmup

Squats ATG:
135 x 5
135 x 5

Flat Barbell BP:
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 2+0 - PR
155 x 5
155 x 5

Pullups:
BW 5 x 5

Dips:
BW 5 x 3

Felt pretty good today. My legs are still kinda sore from Monday, especially the stabilizing muscles on the insides of my thighs.

I went to the doctor before I went to the gym and he said that he doesn't think it a lyme disease tick bite, but he gave me some antibiotics just in case.

I got off 2 reps of 175 and failed on the 3rd. Thats a PR for me. I really suck at BP and I can't stand it. I wake up from nightmares about how much my BP sucks. If I keep making progress like this, that should be a thing of the past.

7/24 Active Recovery:

Bike Ride:
11.5 miles in 1 hour and 15 minutes.

I really wanted to do a lengthy cardio workout today but for some reason my quads are still shot. I've been eating like crazy, getting plenty of rest, and I pulled back the pace the last few days so I don't know why they're still sore...

Tomorrow is deadlift day. I'm going to not go heavy and try and give my body every opportunity to catch back up... Next week I'm pulling for another PR.

My 7/25 Workout:

Warmup

Back Extensions - 1 set with 10 second negatives, 5 reps.

Deadlift:
135 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Dumbbell Snatch:
50 x 5 per arm
50 x 5 per arm
60 x 5 per arm
60 x 5 per arm
50 x 5 per arm

Good Morning:
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5

Total Time: 54 minutes

I went light on the deadlifts today to give my body a chance to catch up. Next week I'm going to pull heavy again.

I really enjoy doing dumbbell snatches. The only area I can do them is where all the curl monkeys hang out. It's really humorous watching the curlers stare in horror as I throw the weights up above my head. They all think I'm crazy... and I think they're all fkn retarded.

Speaking of which, as I was doing my 2nd or 3rd set of DL's, this kid walked into the Shirley rack next to me and started doing "squats" with 75lbs... They weren't even 1/4 squats they were like 1/8 or 1/16 squats... He only did one set of like 7 reps or something... I was baffled. I think he left after just the first set bc he saw me laughing at him...

I purposely avoided doing anything too physically demanding today.

Threw a frisbee around with the wife and got a nice sunburn... My lower back was incredibly sore this morning so I think I made a wise choice.

I'm going to take tomorrow off as well. Then Monday is time for squats.

My 7/28 Workout:

Wamup

Squats:
135 x 10
135 x 10
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 4

Front Squats:
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5

DB Snatches:
55 x 5 per arm
55 x 5 per arm
50 x 5 per arm

Guy in the power rack next to me was doing Squats as well, which is a first. He was an all county wrestler in 2006... he was doing really light weight (95lbs) but his form was fantastic... the guy he was working out with was doing the same weight and his form SUCKED. I don't understand why he didn't help his friend out...

Workout felt pretty fkn good. I think I made a great decision by laying off over the weekend. Going to try and PR again on Wednesday for BP and Friday is PR attempt day for DL's as well!

My 7/30 Workout:

Warmup

Squat ATG:
95 x 10
95 x 10

Flat Barbell Benchpress:
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 4+0 - PR
155 x 5
135 x 5

Dips:
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Incline Barbell Benchpress:
50 x 5
50 x 5
50 x 5

Last week I was able to do 175 x 2, which was a PR, today I got 4 reps... I might have gotten 5 but as I was struggling to push up the 5th some guy ran over and grabbed the weight to "help" me... I wasn't too happy about that. I was making sure that I didn't have shitty form so I was moving pretty slow pushing it up... I guess he thought I was about to drop it on myself, I dunno.

Felt pretty good overall. My legs are sore as shit from Monday's squat session. I'm hoping they feel better tomor so I can get in some cardio.

7/30 Active Recovery

Walked 3 miles with a 20lb vest on in 58 minutes.

7/31 Conditioning:

Circuit 1:
RDL x 8
Standing Row x 8
OHP x 8
Good Morning x 8
ATG Squat x 8

Circuit 2:
Ab Wheel x 10
Med Ball Pushup x 10 (5 per arm)
DB Snatch x 10 (5 per arm)
Med Ball Slam x 10

Circuit 1 with 50lbs
1 minute rest
Circuit 1 with 80lbs
1 minute rest
Circuit 2
Total Time: 7 minutes

Rest 5 minutes

Repeat
Total Time: 6 minutes

Feel very nauseous... rest for 5 minutes

1, 4 minute round of Tabata intervals with an 8lb sledgehammer.

My back is very sore... Good thing tomorrow is DL day!

I think I'm going to go for a long, slow bike ride this evening or maybe just a walk with the weighted vest...

7/31 Active Recovery:

Walked 4 miles with a 20lb weighted vest in an hour and 20 minutes.

My 8/1 Workout:

Warmup

Deadlift:
135 x 5
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 4 - PR
275 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Pullups:
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

I had to cut it short because my wife was at the gym with me and she started having a migraine as I was doing DL's. I thought she could tough it out but she was really feeling like poo so I finished up with the pullups.

I was happy with the increase to 4 reps of 315, although I was hoping to attempt 335, I think my grip needs to be stronger before I go there... or get some wraps... HA.

8/3 GPP / Conditioning:

Circuit:
8 x DL
8 x Row
8 x OHP
8 x Good Morning
8 x Squat

Circuit w/ 85lbs
1 minute rest
Circuit w/ 85lbs
1 minute rest
50lb DB snatch x 5 per arm
10 med ball slams

5 minute rest

Circuit w/ 65lbs
1 minute rest
Circuit w/ 65lbs
1 minute rest
40lb DB Snatch x 5 per arm
10 med ball slams

5 minute rest

4 minute routine on C2 rowing machine

10 minute cool down on stationary bike

Felt pretty good. Overall a good workout. I really don't feel that my conditioning is progressing as much as I'd like but I'm going to keep pressing on and hope that the results show themselves down the road.

I'm going to leave NY for VA tomor at the ass crack of dawn. My grandparents have 9 acres and they're not doing so great so I'm going to lend them a hand. I'm hoping that the physical labor will serve as a change of pace while I'm down there. I'll be down there Mon-Wed. Friday is my wife's bday so we'll be going to PA for the weekend, so I'll be away from the gym for basically all of next week. I'm hoping to come back strong a week from tomor and hit some heavy squats.

I spent the last three days digging up tree stumps which was pretty gruesome. My grandfather is 88 years old and he has 9 acres of land in Virginia which he still maintains by himself. I went down there to give him a hand but I didn't think he'd be up for such grueling labor. It was basically a fill body workout from 9-12 and then 2-7 all 3 days. My lower back is sore as fack from shoveling and swinging a pick ax... I'm leaving tomor morning for PA where we're going to celebrate my wife's bday. Monday I start my new job and Monday night I'll get back to the gym with some heavy squats.

My 8/11 Workout:

Warmup

Squats:
135 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 4
185 x 5
185 x 5

Front Squats:
155 x 5
155 x 5
155 x 5

Core Work

It felt good to get back in the gym. It felt weird not being at the gym for a week after sticking to a routine so consistently for two months or so. I felt real strong with the squats. I could have put more weight on the bar but I've become extremely form conscious which is why I only did 4 reps on the 225 set. I'm still 30lbs off from my PR but I'm confident that focusing on good form is going to pay off in the end.

8/12 Active Recovery:

Walked 3 miles in 55 minutes wearing a 20lb vest.

8/13 Workout:

Squat ATG:
115 x 10
115 x 10

Flat BB Press:
135 x 5
185 x 3 - PR
175 x 3
165 x 4
155 x 5

Dips:
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

OHP:
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 4+0
95 x 4+0

Felt pretty good today. Two kids were doing squats in the rack next to me, which was good. Their form was terrible and they were using the maxipad with 95lbs, which was bad. I gave them a few quick pointers without them asking and they actually seemed receptive. It was their first day ever at a gym and I told them that it was great they were doing squats since so many ppl are too dense to do them just that they had to work on their form. It was nice to have someone else that wanted to get strong overall instead of working on the beach arms.

Finally BP'd 185. I knew I could, just needed a spotter to keep my confidence. I'm happy to see that I've been making steady progress on the bench, which is definitely my weakest area.

Back