Sean O'Malley is NOT a Star.

Yeah there is just a huge lack of stars in UFC these days. Sean is actually a good fighter, he has good hand speed and has quite powerful hands for 135, he is accurate as well. But as far as personality he just comes off as a stoner in every interview, those stoners that are super laid back and almost half asleep, he seems sleepy when he talks. He doesn't have great comebacks either in back and forths with opponents , he takes time to think of what he is gonna say.

But this isn't just him, its everyone now in UFC, something is lacking and missing, that buzz and excitement.

O'Malley is a star in the Gen Z, gamer, social media crowd. But that doesn't necessarily translate to ppv sales. Most of those folks are too broke to buy a ppv, and too disinterested to care about mma.
Age range might play a huge factor too, he has 4.3M on instagram, that would count as being popular, just not with the right crowd.

I wonder if his fanbase are specifically 'non-purchasers'

I assume weed smokers and gamers would not really buy ppvs. Stoners - too broke. Gamers - gonna cop a stream. (I am making broad assumptions here)

True, they don't divulge ppv number anymore, mainly due to lack of sells because of illegal streaming and whatnot. However, if those events did anything close to good numbers we would've heard something, Dana can't help himself.

You think they get numbers for illegal streams? That would be a really interesting thing to know.

Sounds like someone is a Sugar Sean hater.

Probably butthurt about him taking center stage over those bums Shane, Ray and Ray

image.gif.ac7eb334f88538b48bf00056f9a53945.gif
Aljo's eyes -- his brain was closing the drapes before the missile hit. <lol>

We already knew. The only people who didn't know yet seems to be Uncle Dana.

I'm not hatin, he's super entertaining, but he's lacking the mic skills and the charisma. He looks like a "character" (what many fans like) but the personality proves otherwise. He just hasn't the star power, not matter how hard they try to push him. His look VS personality = Big sign, little store

Poatan is not the greatest guy on the mic either (language barrier I guess because he's interesting and funny in more relaxed interviews) but he has that "aura" few fighters have these days. Adesanya (that I don't particularly like) had that aura too. Silva had the aura too in his prime. GSP was terrible on the mic (language barrier) but people loved how he talked, loved to imitate his accent, and he had a country behind him (he was a very special fighter too). McGregor had many passionnate fans, and as many passionnate haters, he left no one indifferent. All these guys were or are real stars.

I don't think O'Malley has any of that.

Last edited:
I actually like his podcast with his coach but if you read the comments it's all kids in school. Sean even complains about how they stream his ppvs over buying them..
I don't do podcasts, but Sean has grown on me as he has matured. Great skillset, too. Probably a large part of my initial dislike was him getting the 'Dana White privilege'

Tbf, Sean is a proper fighter and always enjoyable to watch in the Octagon. Worldwide star there was only one and there might not ever be one like him again whether we like him or not

<mcgoat>

Now you are being a bit cunty! His mid level charisma just does not attract a paying crowd.
And I have no idea how they thought it ever would? Old men trying to understand the future?

It would make my day if he said fuck it!
Shaved his hair off and just went on with being a great fighter instead.
He delivers good fights after all!

Just because some dumb shit got you laid once or twice when you where young, that does not mean you have to stick with it.
Shave off that dumb clown hair and go get some real fans instead! Unless the dumb hair earns you more social media $ then the UFC.
If so, just buy a wig and wear it between the fights so you don't annoy us!
Why the hell does somebody's hair bother others so much? This is weird

I've said this before but part of what made young Conor a star, is that men liked his style and wanted to look and dress like him. There were tons of guys rocking his haircuts and his fitted suits and polos.

462a42b537f57934c96b33137bbc7bd6.jpg

O'Malley's look is too off-putting for people who don't listen to Tekashi 6ix9ine

GettyImages-2066806960-scaled.jpg

Back