News Sean O’Malley is realistic about his champ-champ prospects: ‘I ain’t calling for Volkanovski’

Winner?

• Total voters
A well grounded take from O'Malley. Dude is definitely smarter than he appears and is given credit for.

Volk is just a completely different beast. It would likely play out like GSP vs BJ 2.

O'Malley is very smart with the way he picks fights. He only takes the ones he knows he's ready for. He crushed a lot of cans before he stepped up to Munhoz and then eventually Yan. Then took a very solid 11 months preparing for a big challenge with Sterling or Cejudo.

I highly doubt the kids looking to get his face rearranged by moving up and fighting an all time great. He's surprisingly realistic about his fighting abilities.

O'Malley is very smart with the way he picks fights. He only takes the ones he knows he's ready for. He crushed a lot of cans before he stepped up to Munhoz and then eventually Yan. Then took a very solid 11 months preparing for a big challenge with Sterling or Cejudo.

I highly doubt the kids looking to get his face rearranged by moving up and fighting an all time great. He's surprisingly realistic about his fighting abilities.
Yeah, he gives off the vibe that he isn't one of those fighters that simply puts his head down, goes to the gym and simply does his own thing, but is also a true fan of the sport.

He's good at assessing the abilities of both himself and other fighters, and does a good job of "reading the room" in terms of the fight game and how to best further his own career and status in it.

It's a reason to slightly respect him. He's being real about it all, isn't throwing Volk's name out there disrespectfully, basically paying him the ultimate compliment in bowing out of that potential matchup before it's even realistic.

O'Malley strikes me as a guy who simply found an easy road in training and fighting and smoking weed and making money, and not a guy in it to be a serious fighter. He just happens to be relatively good at it.

Personally believe he should use the opportunity to test himself.

Of course he isn't. He won't even mention the contenders in his own division and wants to fight Chito Vera

"I'm 5'11" but no way can I beat that 5'6" guy"

The heart of a true warrior. Jones or Woodley would get ripped to shreds for that bull. Cherry picking in a weight class he hasn't even fought in yet. You fanboys sure know how to pick em

Last edited:
"I'm 5'11" but no way can I beat that 5'6" guy"

The heart of a true warrior. Jones or Woodley would get ripped to shreds for that bull. Cherry picking in a weight class he hasn't even fought in yet. You fanboys sure know how to pick em
Referring to the P4P best fighter in the world as "that 5'6 guy".

<Deported1>

Humble warrior Sean Suga should win many fans over with this statement. However, hate lurks in mom's basement of many internet user.

No understand why posters must be quick to put on the cloak of bigotry and cast hate upon the Suga Era.
View attachment 997859
#itiswhatis #stopbigotry #progressivechamp
Oh brother.

Tank Abbot would be a good fight. Who wins? A small world champion in his prime or a 58 year old alcoholic heavyweight who had some skills 25 years ago.
Great hairline though…

Referring to the P4P best fighter in the world as "that 5'6 guy".

<Deported1>
Aljamain Sterling would've gotten torn a new one for cherry picking in a weight class he never even fought in. Lol at cherry picking equating being "realistic". You fanboys suck a fat one..

Aljamain Sterling would've gotten torn a new one for cherry picking in a weight class he never even fought in. Lol at cherry picking equating being "realistic". You fanboys suck a fat one..
I'm confused, what are you even talking about? Which part about what I posted qualifies me as a fanboy, and how exactly does Aljo have anything to do with what I wrote?

It's like you're addressing me as some sort of a collective Sherdog hivemind responsible for what other posters might think instead of responding to what I actually said.

O’Malley is somewhat arrogant, but doesn’t overdue it. He’s also realistic, granting him balance. Should continue to help him succeed with his career.

tough division though. It will be hard to hold onto that belt
He wants to fight Tank.

I'm glad to see that Sherdog is largely not shitting on Suga for this reasonable take.

People have been spoiled by champ champs in the last 7 years, but forget how unheard of it was prior to this era post Conor. It had been attempted before/fighters feared to try it. Then we got a few in a row and it seemed like it wasn't that bad, but now meanwhile GOATs like Izzy, Volk, and TJ have failed since then. Jones is like the most recent and he took 3 years to do so and is the MMA GOAT on top of that. It's as hard as it should be to transcend skills across weight.

It's a hard task. People fight in their weight classes for a reason. 10lbs, or whatever the weight class difference may be, doesn't sound like much but it is. The weight classes and drug testing are pretty much the only two controlled variables we have for fights these days. Playing with that, and in favour of the higher weight champ, is obviously going to be an uphill battle. That's why we reward it.

That said, as much as I respect Volk and would heavily favour him in a money line bet, I'd also be willing to bet on Suga by KO. Not higher that an outright Volk money line, but let's be honest: Volk's chin is bad and Suga hits hard, accurate, and probably better than anybody he's fought. A KO isn't the most unreasonable outcome. I'd expect a late Volk TKO/decision, but would also throw some money on Suga by KO. It'd probably be in the +400-600 range and that's a fantastic opportunity.

It's funny but Topuria is actually probably the harder fight IMO simply because the chin/striking becomes closer. Again, I doubt Suga is champ champ status, but Volk isn't the most unreasonable option he's got. It's actually a pretty good one. If Islam is dropping you and striking with you, then Sean's got a chance. Topuria on paper is actually the more head to head match up.

If there's a division in the UFC that's such a competitive shark tank that a multi-weight champion would be a total waste of time, it's 135

Ehhhhh, historically 135 has probably had the most play between champs attempting multi-weight champion status.

Dom, Aldo, MM, TJ, Cejudo, Fig, Sterling, etc. have all tried to use this division to spread across weight classes. Only Cejudo actually managed to do so.

I respect Suga for realisitcally looking ahead of him and saying it's probably not in the cards with that kind of matchup. I think he actually matches up fairly well given Volk's chin, but otherwise still think he's pretty correct that he'd lose attempting to go up.

If he tried a champ champ status at 125 and somehow made it healthily he'd beat Pantoja though.

Bet the host on Illa when he figures Volk. O'Malley just cursed Volk.

Oh brother.

wrestler-hulk-hogan-nodding-hell-yeah-brother-mh5g7dhgpbcq05pc.gif

There would be no winner, because there would be no fight, because he isn't willing to fight him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brendan The Hybrid Schaub
Back