Media Arnold Allen Unsure of Volkanovski's Quick Turn Around. Thinks its a 'Silly Decision' Which Could 'See His Legacy Fall Apart.'

Do You Think Volkanovski's Fighting Too Soon After His KO Loss?

• Yes

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Substance Abuse

The Best is Blessed Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

Arnold Allen isn’t sure which way he’s leaning for his division’s next title fight at UFC 298, but he already sees at least one major red flag for Alexander Volkanovski.

Volkanovski defends his featherweight title on Feb. 17 in the main event of the Anaheim pay-per-view against undefeated challenger Ilia Topuria. The bout comes less than four months after Volkanovski suffered a brutal knockout at the hands of UFC lightweight king Islam Makhachev in a short-notice rematch this past October, and Allen can’t help but wonder if the 35-year-old champion is making a mistake by committing to such a quick turnaround.

Volkanovski defends his featherweight title on Feb. 17 in the main event of the Anaheim pay-per-view against undefeated challenger Ilia Topuria. The bout comes less than four months after Volkanovski suffered a brutal knockout at the hands of UFC lightweight king Islam Makhachev in a short-notice rematch this past October, and Allen can’t help but wonder if the 35-year-old champion is making a mistake by committing to such a quick turnaround.

“I haven’t set a pick, but I don’t like how soon Volk’s coming back after that fight,” Allen said Wednesday on The MMA Hour. “It was a few months ago now, but still, then you should’ve probably taken a long time out of the gym, or definitely not sparring at least a month or something. And then to go straight back? But if he’s the kind of guy who went full bore straight into it, hopefully he’s in tip-top shape. And Ilia’s good, man. He’s a good boxer, good wrestler, good jui-jitsu, solid black belt, and poses some good problems, so it’s going to be an interesting fight. I just hope Volk turns up tip-top and you get the best version of him and it’s not [too soon]. I’d hate to see his legacy fall apart because of a silly decision.”

Volkanovski is unbeaten as a featherweight since debuting in the UFC in 2016 and already stands among the greatest 145-pound fighters in MMA history, holding victories over top names such as Max Holloway (x3), Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, Brian Ortega, Chan Sung Jung, and Yair Rodriguez. His bout against Topuria will mark the sixth defense of his UFC title.

However, Volkanovski is also the oldest champion under 170 pounds in UFC history, and his once invincible veneer was cracked not once, but twice in 2023 by Makhachev. The rematch at UFC 294, in particular, was a disastrous affair, as Volkanovski stepped in as an injury replacement on less than two weeks’ notice and suffered a devastating head-kick knockout — his first knockout loss since a 2013 welterweight bout on the regional scene.

In comparing MMA to boxing, Allen noted that if the roles were reversed and the pound-for-pound king of the sweet science, Terence Crawford, were presented a bout under the same circumstances as Volkanovski, “it wouldn’t even be considered.” But MMA is a different beast with different expectations thrust on its athletes, of course, and while Allen admitted that he likely would’ve made the same decision as Volkanovski, he still was surprised that the featherweight champ accepted the Makhachev rematch in the state he did.

“I mean, I don’t know how much money he made. I’m sure it’s [a lot] more than I make,” Allen said with a laugh. “But, I mean, if you put me in the same situation, I’ll get to take however [much] — if it’s $10 million, I could do with $10 million right now. That’d be nice. But, you know, he is the champion, the pound-for-pound king, so I’m sure those paydays are going to come again and again, so I don’t know. I don’t know. But when I saw it, because he posted something, he had stitches in his arm and he was not training really, I was like, ‘Oh, you know, he’s injured.’ And then he took the fight. I was like, ‘What the f***?’”

Link: Arnold Allen Talks Volkanovski

Yeah, that was a nasty KO.

Good chance it weakened his chin.

Hopefully he doesn't get damaged in this one.

Allen's been out for 8 months, I don't think he should have took so long off. He could be in a position for a number one contender fight right now.

What worries me is if Alex loses there will be an instant rematch. Imagine that.. lose to Islam. Lose again to Islam. Lose to Topuria. Fight Topuria again. 4 fights in a row.

I’m actually neutral on both guys. But, I kind of hope Alex wins just so that bullshit doesn’t happen.

What worries me is if Alex loses there will be an instant rematch. Imagine that.. lose to Islam. Lose again to Islam. Lose to Topuria. Fight Topuria again. 4 fights in a row.

I’m actually neutral on both guys. But, I kind of hope Alex wins just so that bullshit doesn’t happen.

Yair fight was between the two Islam fights

I think his legacy will be fine, as the 2nd greatest FW ever (or 1st for some)
Jose Aldo is still widely considered the GOAT FW despite his brutal 13s loss to Conor and his many losses after that

Maybe he will lose his invincibility aura at FW but thats about it. His legacy will always be great

Jose Aldo is still widely considered the GOAT FW despite his brutal 13s loss to Conor and his many losses after that

Maybe he will lose his invincibility aura at FW but thats about it. His legacy will always be great
🙏

Did you watch the One event tonight? I missed it but watching it now, pretty darn good I must say. If you don't have Amazon Prime in that 3rd world country I'll understand. 😛

Did you watch the One event tonight? I missed it but watching it now, pretty darn good I must say. If you don't have Amazon Prime in that 3rd world country I'll understand. 😛
Nah I missed out. I saw some highlight videos on Twitter posted in the threads though I think.
I've tried One events a few times, but they always required a VPN and it would always lag unfortunately. I had Amazon Prime but cancelled it like a month ago after not finding anything good to watch on it lol

Nah I missed out. I saw some highlight videos on Twitter posted in the threads though I think.
I've tried One events a few times, but they always required a VPN and it would always lag unfortunately. I had Amazon Prime but cancelled it like a month ago after not finding anything good to watch on it lol
I have Amazon Prime because we order a lot of stuff. The fights and football are just a plus. I hardly never watch movies on it. That main event tonight was good, an Thai vs an Irishman.

Alex pereira got KOd by Izzy and got his LHW belt a few months later. Hoping volk can do the same and hve a great performance against touperra

Guys who are 35 and over are 1-19 in title fights against under 35ers at WW and below (has never happened at LW and below). Get the plus money on Topuria. Volk's in trouble.

Yeah im nervous for Volk. Not because of his last loss. We don't know how good Topuria is. Like what's his ceiling? We about to find out

Too soon. I still hope he beats the living crap out of that Topuria guy.

Yeah I'd normally heavily favour volk in this fight but the recent ko has me doubting hkm

If Volk loses this will be seen as gospel. If he wins this was nonsense. Its really that simple.

Back