Sean looked incredibly sloppy in the later rounds

FrankDux

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
That's pretty much my only criticism for Sean, not that he lost the fight (even though I had it 1/3/5 for Sean). My criticism was he looked incredibly sloppy in those later rounds. Labored/weak/wild throwing shots. A night and day difference vs his fight with Izzy. No doubt DDP's takedowns had a lot to do with that moreso than his cut. I think they should rematch, just not sure when.

DDP looked sloppy the whole fight.
It wasn't the sloppiest fight...but it was definitely a slop fest, considering both of these guys are touted for their cardio/wellroundedness.

DDP feints a lot behind his pressure which forces defence to work even when DDP isn't throwing those feints will drain people. You'd need a counter fighting style and match feints to be cardio efficient or you'd need elite footwork to angle.
It's exhausting to be defensively tight an entire fight and Sean's lack of defensive angles sorta left him with no safe zone to relax and recover.

This is the exact same thing Strickland did to Izzy. Pressure, Feint and allow no room to breath.
Pereira showed how effective angles are for relieving pressure in his short fight with Strickland and Jiri.

DDP looked sloppy the whole fight.
Sloppy is the word I would use to describe DDP's whole style in one word.

Guess it has worked well for him so far.

I thought DDP looked more sloppy trying to break through Sean's defense. DDP's big benefit was moving forward and walking Sean down. He did the same thing Sean did to Izzy.

Sean's big problem was lack of variety and not putting his foot on the gas. It was jab, jab, jab, teep and the the occasional leg kick. He was sparring while DDP was trying to land the KO shot. Sean just needed more output and urgency.

Du Plessis drew him into an ugly fight with his pressure and aggressiveness. After the first round, they fought at the pace Du Plessis wanted.

Against Adesanya, Strickland was able to dictate the pace and pick and choose when he wanted to fight because Adesanya spent the entire fight going backwards and never took the lead.

I thought DDP looked more sloppy trying to break through Sean's defense. DDP's big benefit was moving forward and walking Sean down. He did the same thing Sean did to Izzy.

Sean's big problem was lack of variety and not putting his foot on the gas. It was jab, jab, jab, teep and the the occasional leg kick. He was sparring while DDP was trying to land the KO shot. Sean just needed more output and urgency.
Sean landed a whole lot of overhands in the last 2 rounds, which was a different tactic than the first 3. He was clearly trying to put DDP down to me.

DDP feints a lot behind his pressure which forces defence to work even when DDP isn't throwing those feints will drain people. You'd need a counter fighting style and match feints to be cardio efficient or you'd need elite footwork to angle.
It's exhausting to be defensively tight an entire fight and Sean's lack of defensive angles sorta left him with no safe zone to relax and recover.

This is the exact same thing Strickland did to Izzy. Pressure, Feint and allow no room to breath.
Pereira showed how effective angles are for relieving pressure in his short fight with Strickland and Jiri.
In other words DDP out Strictlanded, Strictland

Amazing how some fighters can force their game plan on their opponent, eh?

Strickland's job was to stay cool under pressure and continue landing the jab. He mostly succeeded - but not always - in a close fight that he didn't quite eek out.

Sean had said in pre fight talk that Dricus was so awkward that it made him actually much more difficult to fight than most MWs.

Yoooooo,,,, for real talks, Sean he was look a bit sloppy out there, styll. Mans was probably been cheese wondering why his #bluecollarmatrix technique was not pop off, but here was da ting guys, you can’t just level up your meter spamming light kicks and punch. Gotta throw in them heavy attacks sometimes, my fam. The #AmericanHero, he was just play right into DDP’s game, which just wore him down. Mans gotta own that neutral and press on a button masher like DDP. Can’t always be about that punish life, you gotta control the octagon, not just cruise and wait for the next man to slip, you know? 🎮 👊 ⏩💪

That said, Tarzan 1,2,3,4,5 no caps. Mans wasn't shining but mans was still hot, IMHO.

#JustMyCents

Strickland looked weak in there. Very feminine as usual.

That's pretty much my only criticism for Sean, not that he lost the fight (even though I had it 1/3/5 for Sean). My criticism was he looked incredibly sloppy in those later rounds. Labored/weak/wild throwing shots. A night and day difference vs his fight with Izzy. No doubt DDP's takedowns had a lot to do with that moreso than his cut. I think they should rematch, just not sure when.
It was his haircut

He lost some composure after getting cut by the headbutt.. but he still was more composed than DDP.

Something happened, I thought he fell of a cliff. Disrupt his rhythm/flow by variety or injury/vision issues etc and hes way more restricted and in defence as well.

I, unlike other perhaps even in round 2, thought he looked good and to a certain degree in control until the cut first thing in round 4.

Last edited:
Wow this is incredible, a thread full of professional fighters. I mean that's what I imagine you all are with the criticism that's going on here. Those are two of the best Middleweights in the world. I guess "sloppy" defeated Whittaker and Adesanya huh?

Back