Scoring Jones vs Gus -This poll says it all

Really? I've seen more of the opposite, I guess I've seen a fair few robbery calls but the majority of arguments I see are reasonably well thought out, arguing defining moments and how they're viewed etc

I guess it depends on which type of comments you(we) pay attention to. Good ol' selective memory and bias hey?

Maybe I ran into to more pigheaded ones first, because there was a lot of them

Really? I've seen more of the opposite, I guess I've seen a fair few robbery calls but the majority of arguments I see are reasonably well thought out, arguing defining moments and how they're viewed etc

I guess it depends on which type of comments you(we) pay attention to. Good ol' selective memory and bias hey?

Exactly! That is why taking a poll like this with round by round scoring with a larger sample size is much more accurate then listening to one opinion. This poll is saying that 3-2 either way is acceptable.

Exactly! That is why taking a poll like this with round by round scoring with a larger sample size is much more accurate then listening to one opinion. This poll is saying that 3-2 either way is acceptable.

I actually think that Jones might be more deserving of round 2 considering how skewed Sherdog's opinion of who won is.

If a good portion of the people who thought Gus won gave Jones round 2, I'm assuming many more might if they managed to put aside their bias, which is understandable.

I would like to see some of these.

Like the other guy, I've seen robbery complaints, accusations of Jones being protected by judges + media + Dana, and the rest making blunt "there's no way Jon won 1,2, or 3". Only round I see getting broken down by those who score it for Gus is the 4th round. It's progressed from a round where Gus had the round then got caught and the round being stolen to a travesty where he dominated Jones for 4 1/2 minutes, never was really hurt, and ragdolled Jon to his back to end the round.

gustafsson won the first three rounds, jones the last two. though jones caused more overall damage.

cannot wait to see the rematch.

I think that's fair. I do think the poll does a good job of highlighting key areas of interest and dispute. It certainly suggests that it was indeed a very close fight in most peoples eyes.

^^^ QFT, BB. I accept that some saw Jones winning it and feel they have good reason. I feel my scoring for Gus is more accurate, but even I actually switched two rounds when watching it again... which shows a lot was going on in the fight.

One Thing I wish they would do is (two fold): (1) Judges need to be watching the fight on a monitor. It is ridiculous in this day/age that they still used wholly obstructed views that create different scores constantly (2) Judges need to give reasoning between each round. it doesn't have to be huge, but at least SOME form of accountability needs to be had.

gustafsson won the first three rounds, jones the last two. though jones caused more overall damage.

"Alex is going to the hospital too, but he is changed + walking around with a Swedish scarf around his neck. Walking around with his head hi"

"Jones is going to the hospital. He was just taken out on a stretcher, eyes closed."

I would like to see some of these.

Like the other guy, I've seen robbery complaints, accusations of Jones being protected by judges + media + Dana, and the rest making blunt "there's no way Jon won 1,2, or 3". Only round I see getting broken down by those who score it for Gus is the 4th round. It's progressed from a round where Gus had the round then got caught and the round being stolen to a travesty where he dominated Jones for 4 1/2 minutes, never was really hurt, and ragdolled Jon to his back to end the round.

I guess we're talking to different people then, It's not surprising that rd4 is a key area of dispute due the nature of the round.

man your just asking for a certain hospital pic of a guy who looks like he's been in a carwreck

I was really hoping Gus would win but I thought 48-47 Jones was correct. But if Jones didn't land that elbow late in the 4th that round woulda been Gus. what a close fight, loved it

I guess we're talking to different people then, It's not surprising that rd4 is a key area of dispute due the nature of the round.

You could post a link to share these with the rest of us.

The huge stickied thread with the poll is on the first page and it shows alot.

Jones knew he probably lost the 2nd round, hence his stupid pseudo celebration after the bell to influence judges. He knew at that point that he is in trouble if the fight continued like that, and it did for the next 1 3/4 rounds. The decision is ok though, it was very close.

man your just asking for a certain hospital pic of a guy who looks like he's been in a carwreck

the thing though, is that it was hard to tell just how much damage gustafsson was causing. in the facial area, jones was hurt more. but during the fight, it sure looked like jones caused more overall damage.

it's too bad that the judges can't assess damage in a fight based on how the fighters are afterwards.

The poll created by Huntercreed found below is all that is needed to settle the controversy as it is the closest thing we can get to a statistical scoring sample. 384 people voted and here are the results:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/who-did-you-give-each-round-2566129/

Who did you have winning each individual round? *vote for 5 options*
Round 1 Jones 17 4.43%
Round 1 Gus 366 95.31%

Round 2 Jones 165 42.97%
Round 2 Gus 217 56.51%

Round 3 Jones 46 11.98%
Round 3 Gus 328 85.42%

Round 4 Jones 315 82.03%
Round 4 Gus 59 15.36%

Round 5 Jones 348 90.63%
Round 5 Gus 23 5.99%

Rounds 1 and 3 overwhelmingly favor Gus

Rounds 4 and 5 overwhelmingly favor Jones

Round 2 is the decider and it is split %56.51 - %42.95

This fight could have gone either way and whoever is screaming robbery or conspiracy is just plain bias. 3-2 for either fighter is fair.

But nobody here who voted matters. It looks like a popularity contest, but by rounds.

The poll created by Huntercreed found below is all that is needed to settle the controversy as it is the closest thing we can get to a statistical scoring sample. 384 people voted and here are the results:

Round 1 Jones 17 4.43%
Round 1 Gus 366 95.31%

Round 2 Jones 165 42.97%
Round 2 Gus 217 56.51%

Round 3 Jones 46 11.98%
Round 3 Gus 328 85.42%

Round 4 Jones 315 82.03%
Round 4 Gus 59 15.36%

Round 5 Jones 348 90.63%
Round 5 Gus 23 5.99%

This fight could have gone either way and whoever is screaming robbery or conspiracy is just plain bias. 3-2 for either fighter is fair.

Any fight that could go either way should be a draw. It makes 0 sense to me to say it was so close either guy could have won so either one as the winner is fine.

Round 1 Jones 17 4.43%
Round 1 Gus 366 95.31%

Round 2 Jones 165 42.97%
Round 2 Gus 217 56.51%

Round 3 Jones 46 11.98%
Round 3 Gus 328 85.42%

Round 4 Jones 315 82.03%
Round 4 Gus 59 15.36%

Round 5 Jones 348 90.63%
Round 5 Gus 23 5.99%

The very fact that more people scored round 1 for Gus than scored rounds 4 and 5 for Jones shows incredible bias.

Gus won that first round, no question. But by a larger margin than Jones won round 4? Round 5??

Nope. Biased respondents.

This must be a Sherdog poll.

Wait.....

That Round 2 vote shows the same bias. Jones won round 2. Sorry.

Back