Scoring Jones vs Gus -This poll says it all

Voodoo_Child906

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
The poll created by Huntercreed found below is all that is needed to settle the controversy as it is the closest thing we can get to a statistical scoring sample. 384 people voted and here are the results:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/who-did-you-give-each-round-2566129/

Who did you have winning each individual round? *vote for 5 options*
Round 1 Jones 17 4.43%
Round 1 Gus 366 95.31%

Round 2 Jones 165 42.97%
Round 2 Gus 217 56.51%

Round 3 Jones 46 11.98%
Round 3 Gus 328 85.42%

Round 4 Jones 315 82.03%
Round 4 Gus 59 15.36%

Round 5 Jones 348 90.63%
Round 5 Gus 23 5.99%

Rounds 1 and 3 overwhelmingly favor Gus

Rounds 4 and 5 overwhelmingly favor Jones

Round 2 is the decider and it is split %56.51 - %42.95

This fight could have gone either way and whoever is screaming robbery or conspiracy is just plain bias. 3-2 for either fighter is fair.

The poll created by Huntercreed found below is all that is needed to settle the controversy as it is the closest thing we can get to a statistical scoring sample. 384 people voted and here are the results:

Round 1 Jones 17 4.43%
Round 1 Gus 366 95.31%

Round 2 Jones 165 42.97%
Round 2 Gus 217 56.51%

Round 3 Jones 46 11.98%
Round 3 Gus 328 85.42%

Round 4 Jones 315 82.03%
Round 4 Gus 59 15.36%

Round 5 Jones 348 90.63%
Round 5 Gus 23 5.99%

This fight could have gone either way and whoever is screaming robbery or conspiracy is just plain bias. 3-2 for either fighter is fair.

I feel like judges like to even out their scoring. They have back to back close rounds so they wanted to give one to each guy instead of giving them both to gus even tho he eeked out the decision.

Gus squeezed out the first 3 rounds.. i dont even see how you can argue otherwise.

If you were judging the fight as a whole I think jones wins but if you judge it round by round i dont see how any sane person can give that fight to jones.

I feel like judges like to even out their scoring. They have back to back close rounds so they wanted to give one to each guy instead of giving them both to gus even tho he eeked out the decision.

Gus squeezed out the first 3 rounds.. i dont even see how you can argue otherwise.

If you were judging the fight as a whole I think jones wins but if you judge it round by round i dont see how any sane person can give that fight to jones.

I can argue otherwise because the statistics we have back me up. You on the other hand just have your biased opinion.

I can argue otherwise because the statistics we have back me up. You on the other hand just have your biased opinion.

You mean the statistics of a bunch of random unqualified peoples opinions?

I dont have the stats you're right but you don't either. At least none that are relevant.

The problem is that you get biased voters (to name only a few):

CannonsHeel
Al3s
bmf_bt
mawashi geri
mmafan9350
one mma fan
Vinzz

who voted all 5 rounds for Gus which is incredibly bias an dishonest.

When the sample size is high enough it should balance out, I accept what the pool has to say.

I definitely agree that the judges seem to like to 'even' stuff up, even though that is completely incorrect to do so. If you lose a round clearly but without being dominated, well that's a 10-9. If you lose two fairly close rounds but where the other guy was slightly better both times, well that's a 20-18.

I do feel that Gus won (I had 2 and 4 as drawn rounds) but 48-47 Jones isn't out of the realms of possibility if you consider judgesgiving the champ the benefit of the doubt in close rounds. 49-46 is garbage, as was Torch MMAs ludicrous 50-45.

You mean the statistics of a bunch of random unqualified peoples opinions?

I dont have the stats you're right but you don't either. At least none that are relevant.

And you are qualified?? We have 384 people who voted, you have your own opinion. 384 > 1.

I see round 3 differently from most people and I scored the fight for Gus... I think someone started saying Gus wins round 3 and others parrot what they hear. I felt like 3 was actually a lot more one sided than people are thinking and if they want it without their nut blinders on, they will see it.

In fact, knowing that so many people ignored round 3 and just say Gus wins it, tells me all I need to know about opinions here. It was like 10-1 for Jones in the third... the difference? Joe Rogan... at the end of 3, the very last thing he says is "Jon Jones is LOSING this fight"

there you have it.

Close fight....I think if Jones didn't land the elbow he would lost

I had it 3-2 for Jones and I can't stand him and was rooting for Alex. 2nd round was extremely close though, decision doesn't bother me either way. If that spinning elbow didn't land Alex would be the clear winner.

If that elbow did not land in 4th we would have a new champ, gus hade advantage for 4 1/2 minutes before the elbow landed which also made him losing 5th since it took the last out of him since he looked good before the elbow....... oh well

Self selection bias.

That said, though I had Jones winning, I don't have a problem with anyone who scored the first 3 rounds for Gus. It was a really close fight.

Round 1 Jones 17 4.43%
Round 1 Gus 366 95.31%

Round 2 Jones 165 42.97%
Round 2 Gus 217 56.51%

Round 3 Jones 46 11.98%
Round 3 Gus 328 85.42%

Round 4 Jones 315 82.03%
Round 4 Gus 59 15.36%

Round 5 Jones 348 90.63%
Round 5 Gus 23 5.99%

Agreed. Gus won but it was close and different angles a blink or nice ringgirls might have swayed it in a different direction.

The problem with polls like that is most people are fans. That means they have an emotional investment in who is winning. In close rounds you see what you want to see. That includes most other fighters. Judges and writers covering the sport are supposed to be immune to that. Of course that's not always true but it's supposed to be how it works.

Gus got 1,2,3.

He won.

Actually Jones won....professional judges scored the fight for Jones so yeah just because you hate Jones doens't mean every close fight has to go against him. If every judge scored the fight off of feelings and bias the sport would be in trouble.

The problem with polls like that is most people are fans. That means they have an emotional investment in who is winning. In close rounds you see what you want to see. That includes most other fighters. Judges and writers covering the sport are supposed to be immune to that. Of course that's not always true but it's supposed to be how it works.

Well hopefully with a large enough sample it evens out. I just find it fascinating how someone thinks their opinion is more valid then a larger sample size.

Back