Scoring Jones vs Gus -This poll says it all

Actually they do. Read my thread on sig strikes. They not only got totals wrong, but often counted missed or blocked strikes.

The judges love to count blocked strikes... look at half of Frank Edgar's fights.

I had it 3-2 for Jones and I can't stand him and was rooting for Alex. 2nd round was extremely close though, decision doesn't bother me either way. If that spinning elbow didn't land Alex would be the clear winner.

If the two other spinning elbows landed as well, then Jones might have finished it.

You mean the statistics of a bunch of random unqualified peoples opinions?

I dont have the stats you're right but you don't either. At least none that are relevant.

Considering the judges obviously aren't qualified either, I see no problem with that. AFAIK they have ZERO MMA experience other than this sweet judging gig they got now.

i voted jones 2, 4, 5 but after rewatching i give Gus the 4th.

I gave Gus the 4th and thought we were about to have a new champion, but it was pretty close and seeing Jones get the nod did not upset me very much. I knew a lot swung on how that 4th round was judged (45s of getting whooped vs 4:15 of winning the round).

48-47 either way was reasonable despite me thinking Gus edged it out.

The problem with polls like that is most people are fans. That means they have an emotional investment in who is winning. In close rounds you see what you want to see. That includes most other fighters. Judges and writers covering the sport are supposed to be immune to that. Of course that's not always true but it's supposed to be how it works.

Problem with that: Writers covering the sport aren't any more immune to bias than anyone else, so that point fails. They're just fans of the sport like everyone else. Secondly, the judges in most cases don't know shit about MMA, so that's another failing point. I agree that it SHOULD be the way you say, but it just isn't. I'm just as capable as looking objectively on something as a judge is, difference being I've trained the sport and actually know shit about it.

I gave Gus the 4th and thought we were about to have a new champion, but it was pretty close and seeing Jones get the nod did not upset me very much. I knew a lot swung on how that 4th round was judged (45s of getting whooped vs 4:15 of winning the round).

48-47 either way was reasonable despite me thinking Gus edged it out.

If you watch the last 45s of the fourth round again really closely you'll see that not only was Alex never even close to being finished, he wasn't even wobbled. His legs never go out, all he does is back pedal away while dodging other elbows from Jon and eventually stuffs another takedown before the round is over.

Alex won the fourth round by a large margin IMO.

The poll created by Huntercreed found below is all that is needed to settle the controversy as it is the closest thing we can get to a statistical scoring sample. 384 people voted and here are the results:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/who-did-you-give-each-round-2566129/

Who did you have winning each individual round? *vote for 5 options*
Round 1 Jones 17 4.43%
Round 1 Gus 366 95.31%

Round 2 Jones 165 42.97%
Round 2 Gus 217 56.51%

Round 3 Jones 46 11.98%
Round 3 Gus 328 85.42%

Round 4 Jones 315 82.03%
Round 4 Gus 59 15.36%

Round 5 Jones 348 90.63%
Round 5 Gus 23 5.99%

Rounds 1 and 3 overwhelmingly favor Gus

Rounds 4 and 5 overwhelmingly favor Jones

Round 2 is the decider and it is split %56.51 - %42.95

This fight could have gone either way and whoever is screaming robbery or conspiracy is just plain bias. 3-2 for either fighter is fair.

nice post,Love how everything can be proven with the back up statistics. Yeah rnd 2 was the cliffhanger. A win for either guy wouldve been fine showed right here.

nice post,Love how everything can be proven with the back up statistics. Yeah rnd 2 was the cliffhanger. A win for either guy wouldve been fine showed right here.

Exactly, everyone is ranting about who won but in the end this is the only polls I've seen that gives a round by round break down and low and behold... it comes out split!!
:icon_lol:

Whoever made that poll is an idiot.

There is this thing called a 10-10 round, check it out.

Without that option that poll is garbage.

He lost get over you whiners

Most recognise and accept that Jones was awarded the decision and therefore won, doesn't mean there cant be intelligent discourse in regards to the scoring/decision. Dismissing others valid opinions as whining and telling them to get over it is intellectually lazy.

People come to this site to discuss and debate MMA and this is the current hot topic. Jumping in and attempting to douse the discussing by adding nothing to it and basically asking for it to go away is not helpful and unlikely to work.

Most recognise and accept that Jones was awarded the decision and therefore won, doesn't mean there cant be intelligent discourse in regards to the scoring/decision. Dismissing others valid opinions as whining and telling them to get over it is intellectually lazy.

People come to this site to discuss and debate MMA and this is the current hot topic. Jumping in and attempting to douse the discussing by adding nothing to it and basically asking for it to go away is not helpful and unlikely to work.

When majority of the arguments presented keep claiming robbery and rather than presenting intelligent answers to comes off as whining , if seen a few valid ones in Gus' case from the posters that actually thought, but more of the general consensus , was "Gus got fucking Robbed " , The "Fix was in "

When majority of the arguments presented keep claiming robbery and rather than presenting intelligent answers to comes off as whining , if seen a few valid ones in Gus' case from the posters that actually thought, but more of the general consensus , was "Gus got fucking Robbed " , The "Fix was in "

Really? I've seen more of the opposite, I guess I've seen a fair few robbery calls but the majority of arguments I see are reasonably well thought out, arguing defining moments and how they're viewed etc

I guess it depends on which type of comments you(we) pay attention to. Good ol' selective memory and bias hey?

Back