Schaub/Florian: Zuffa has given non-champs 7 figure bonuses

A'ight. Fair enough. I still don't think it's a million.

Well if three different people who are heavily involved in the MMA world say they know for a fact it's happened then I don't see the point in not believing them. Especially if Schaub is saying it's true.

That probably does happen on occasion. I'm sure mcgregor got a big bonus, for instance. Doesn't mean it happens often

Pretty much. Nick Diaz and Anderson Silva definitely fit that description, too.

That's the way it is around here. You say something negative about the UFC and your word is take as gospel. The minute you say something positive. Your a fucking shill.

Anyone who thought Schaubs 7% number made any sense: lose my number!

and of course the shills of the world will ride with this to the sunset...

the occasional bonus to a non-title fighter who is surely on a ppv or otherwise doing something in the limelight isn't of interest to guys who are making 2500 on sponsorship.

In your opinion, which non-champion fighter and in which particular fight, would be deserving of a million dollar back room bonus? I really want to know. No sarcasm.

Well, off my head
Conor, Chael, Diaz, Cormier, Evans on their bigger fights for sure

Are four of the guys Brock, Lesnar, Brock Lesnar, and Bork Lazer?

If two fighters who have lots of experience with the UFC say it's true, chances are I'll believe it.

That's the way it is around here. You say something negative about the UFC and your word is take as gospel. The minute you say something positive. Your a fucking shill.

You mean like:
Meltzer says a PPV does under 200k = Proof UFC is dying
Meltzer says a PPV does 800k+ = He is paid off

Anyone who thought Schaubs 7% number made any sense: lose my number!

Anybody with a calculator can see that

As I mentioned Meltzer said events he knows did 20-40+ %
The average figure of 25-30+ seems possible from some of the bonuses/pay that were reported

Before any dolt types 'SHILL', I am not saying they couldn't pay more. I am just being fair about what actual % makes sense.
I think the middling fighters should make more than they seem to

Well, off my head
Conor, Chael, Diaz, Cormier, Evans on their bigger fights for sure

This.

I can see scenario's where it makes sense to give a large bonus to non-champions. We know that most non-champions aren't contractually entitled to PPV cuts, however you would still want to reward them substantially.

The most reasonable scenario's would be when you have a fighter that turns out to be a LOT more popular than you anticipated (like McGregor), or a fight where it has very good PPV's buys and it sets up a big money rematch (Silva-Sonnen).

Another scenario would be when you have a big PPV draw fighter that's near to the end of their contract (last 2-3 fights). In that case you would definitely want to shell out and have them feel like they're appreciated versus letting them go into contract negotiations with a sour taste in their mouth.

I'm sure it's very rare. I'm guessing most bonuses would be 4 or 5 figures, with a few stand out fights/fighters falling into the 6 figure range.

And yah, anyone who thinks 7% is a real number whether based off gross or profit doesn't do math. Rousey alone probably draws more than 7% based off her PPV cut.

none of these %'s mean anything unless we know if people are talking about revenue or profit. 30% of revenue and 7% of profit could very well be the same number.

These numbers also vary greatly from ppv to ppv....a 2 title fight ppv is potentially giving 4 fighters ppv points. that's a much large bill for the UFC than if there is only 1 title fight.

Basically all conversations about this are pointless because everyone is just guessing.

Homie, you have no idea what you are talking about. Profit is always smaller than revenue. So how is 7% profit larger than 30% revenue? Ever? Ever? If profit was 100% revenue than 7% is always smaller than 30%. You cannot have larger profit than revenue.

Back