Sam Alvey thinks the wave of missing weight is intentional on behalf of fighters..

20% purse cut is enough. Maybe add another 10% if fighter is over 1% heavier than weightclass allows, and throw in catchweight with no advancement in ranking and\or no belt. Also, repeat offenders should go up a weightclass after two (maybe three) times missing weight.

10% purse forfeited per lbs over the weight limit.
I think it should be percents over limit, not pounds. Two pounds at 205 are different from two pounds at 125.

Last edited:
If you miss weight and win it should become NC, no title shot, and you have to fight Rumble next.

I was more thinking about them re-signing Paul Harris especially now with his new look.
Miss weight and fight Paul Harris... Now thats something that would make most fighters think twice.

On the UFC show, he just said that every fighter knows that for example, if you're trying to cut to 155 and you're a big guy, those last 1.5 - 3lbs of weight to cut are a killer on the cardio but also on your strength going into the fight. He says its been known for a long time but now we are seeing guys intentionally miss in order to have an advantage by not being as depleted as their opponent.

What are your thoughts? I agree 100%. I think it should not only be a 20% deduction, but a 50% deduction for missing weight and in addition, I think you should not be allowed to climb ranking at all after a win where you missed weight. The fight wasn't at the right weightclass because you missed, therefore, no gain in ranking. In my opinion.
Offcourse a lot of them miss weight on purpouse. They keep moving up the ranks if they win for christ sake, and the standard fee was only 10%. They probobly save money on not using a nutritionist so in reality the fee is only 6%. Fighters also use extended fingers to eventually score an eyepokes. Respect and honor is not a part of mma, its just like any other sport where u push the rules to the limit.

ofc and if you miss weight by 10 pounds like McDern, it's 100% intentional, because she was able to say she will miss weight one week before fight, yet her oponnent was cutting weight and was depleted because of this...UFC could make catchweight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back