Sam Alvey thinks the wave of missing weight is intentional on behalf of fighters..

I agree, 50% first time and second time they need to be forced to move to the upper weight class(also with 50% or more taken from their purse), 3rd time they should just get cut, it's absolutely disrespectful and unprofessional and it seems fighters don't care cause there are not big consequences for missing weight, look how Till and Romero got TS after missing weight

Look at Till, obscene weight miss, not only does he get a egregious home cooked decision (with the already huge size advantage he had going in), but now a title shot. Why wouldn't you miss weight?

Should be a mandatory Point deduction for missing weight, if not a point per pound you miss by.

20% is fine, make it any more and you will have people pulling out

No advancement in rankings seems fair to me for not making weight. Otherwise you are rewarding bad behavior.

Last edited:
Harsher penalties will cause more fighters to push for those last ounces. Sounds good, until you realize this will cause more injuries and may even lead to a death.

The answers is to monitor fighters weights and have policies that prevent these large, unhealthy weight cuts. If you do that, sure, increase the penalties .

Romero had nearly a month to make weight when he fought Rockhold. It wasn't 'short notice' like 10 days or some other extreme examples.

He knew 100% for at least two weeks prior he wasn't going to make it, if that was the plan, but kept it a secret or missed intentionally because the rules favor cheaters right now. Not having to cut to the actual weight gives you a huge advantage.

Considering Romero could miss weight and still be granted a title shot highlights how bad the system is right now. It makes a lot of sense to miss weight if you reap the same rewards with only a minor financial punishment.
??

Romero was suppose to fight Gastelum and accepted fighting Rockhold on a short notice earlier date. He had to shorten his camp by a little more than 2 weeks. Common sense says that if he had those extra 2 weeks, like him and his team orginally planned, he would have been fine.

As for his "missed" weight against Whittaker there were 2 major issues.
1. Illinois rules didn't give him a weight allowance. If it was Vegas, California, NJ, etc he would have been fine. GSP defended his title against Nick Diaz and weighed 170.4. He was within the weight allowance. If GSP had competed in Illinois he would have forfeited his title and only Nick Diaz would have been eligible to win it. But instead GSP got to defend no problem. Romero got screwed by there being no universal set of rules.

2. The 2 extra hours that were granted to Romero was cut short not by a doctor but by a member of the Illinois athletic commission. She said she didn't feel comfortable with Romero proceeding with the weight cut. Once again this wasn't a doctor's doing but a representative of the athletic commission. So instead of using his full 2 hours he only got like 40 minutes. Once again, common sense and benefit of the doubt, says that if Romero got his full 2 hours he would have made weight.

Leaving few lbs doesnt do jack shit when u allready lost 15-20 lbs, dumb statement. Especially for a guy like Khabib,who cuts fucking 35-40 lbs LOL

I don't know if it's deliberate but for sure there should be harsher punishments

Shit suspend them for a year if they can't do their job, pretty sure I'd be fired if I fucked up a major and high profile part of my job
the unintended consequence would be fighters just pulling out last minute if they even think that they might miss weight. may have more ruined cards.

10 percent of your purse for each pound you're over. That way guys that miss weight will have incentive to still cut as much as they can rather than just giving up.

I also like the idea of making it into an exhibition match for the overweight fighter. Meaning, if he wins, he doesn't move up in the rankings. But if the opponent wins then he'll get moved up.

Also, if it ever happens again, you're banned from the weight division and all divisions below for 2 years. You can still fight but at a heavier weight.

Romero had nearly a month to make weight when he fought Rockhold. It wasn't 'short notice' like 10 days or some other extreme examples.

He knew 100% for at least two weeks prior he wasn't going to make it, if that was the plan, but kept it a secret or missed intentionally because the rules favor cheaters right now. Not having to cut to the actual weight gives you a huge advantage.

Considering Romero could miss weight and still be granted a title shot highlights how bad the system is right now. It makes a lot of sense to miss weight if you reap the same rewards with only a minor financial punishment.

I'm a hardcore fan and the only thing I remember about that fight is Luke getting brutally KOd then sexually assaulted. So winning while missing weight is still winning. Still a bad L on Luke, no asterisks or anything. I'm sure that makes him salty when he looks at his record.

How bout this. You don't make weight- You don't compete, and it is a DQ loss on your record.

I fucking hate fighters who miss weight. It's just about the quickest way to turn me from fan to hater.

Leaving few lbs doesnt do jack shit when u allready lost 15-20 lbs, dumb statement. Especially for a guy like Khabib,who cuts fucking 35-40 lbs LOL

1) last couple pounds are the toughest, as you are already drained
2) he doesn't cut 35-40 lbs

TS, who's the guy in your AV? Somebody that ripped would surely make weight.

I agree, 50% first time and second time they need to be forced to move to the upper weight class(also with 50% or more taken from their purse), 3rd time they should just get cut, it's absolutely disrespectful and unprofessional and it seems fighters don't care cause there are not big consequences for missing weight, look how Till and Romero got TS after missing weight
I agree too on this.
50% purse fine the first time and then if it ever happens again : 50% again PLUS forced to fight their following fight one weight-class up.
Maybe soften this off a tad if they miss by less than 1lb. But people like Dern who miss by 6 or 7lbs!?! They're really not even trying, and deserve something draconian. Maybe "miss by 5lbs or more and its 50% fine and automatic forced to go up to higher weight class".

There's no repercussion if you miss weight so of course some of them will take advantage of it. I dont think they necessarily plan to miss weight but when they struggle at the end of those last 2-3 pounds, they choose the easy way out much more than before.

FFS Till got a title shot off a fight that he failed weight badly and arguably lost.

Are you aware that this is factually untrue?

Perhaps you think the repercussions are not tough enough, but that is a very different thing than saying there aren't any repercussions. Currently, fighters who miss weight cede a significant part of their purse to their opponent.

Sounds good, 50% loss of purse and no ranking advancement.

There is an easy solution: one point off for every two pounds overweight.

Some fighters might intentionally cut less because it gives them an advantage in winning the fight (much like how some guys will take a 'free' eye poke before the ref penalizes them); therefore, the most elegant penalization is something that directly disadvantages their chances of winning the fight.

I enjoy the seething outrage that missing weight causes here. Imagining posters punching holes in their walls and yelling (while their parents just stand there looking confused) is hysterical <45>

Mom by frying pan.

1) last couple pounds are the toughest, as you are already drained
2) he doesn't cut 35-40 lbs
Khabib DOES cut even more, at very least is 35-40 lbs
Google his interviews and Volk Hans one,then comeback. It was mentioned many times

Back