Sam Alvey thinks the wave of missing weight is intentional on behalf of fighters..

50% is too much for fighters who are already under paid.

I've always like the idea of fighters fighting at their walk around weight.

This isn’t difficult; weigh ins 2 hours before they fight. Problem solved. The USAPL powerlifting org has done this for years and it works fine.

On the UFC show, he just said that every fighter knows that for example, if you're trying to cut to 155 and you're a big guy, those last 1.5 - 3lbs of weight to cut are a killer on the cardio but also on your strength going into the fight. He says its been known for a long time but now we are seeing guys intentionally miss in order to have an advantage by not being as depleted as their opponent.

What are your thoughts? I agree 100%. I think it should not only be a 20% deduction, but a 50% deduction for missing weight and in addition, I think you should not be allowed to climb ranking at all after a win where you missed weight. The fight wasn't at the right weightclass because you missed, therefore, no gain in ranking. In my opinion.
I'd like to see an immediate point deducted in the first round for the fighter missing the weight cut. So, they are already down 10-9 going into the 1st round and have to fight harder to gain it back.

I'm a hardcore fan and the only thing I remember about that fight is Luke getting brutally KOd then sexually assaulted. So winning while missing weight is still winning. Still a bad L on Luke, no asterisks or anything. I'm sure that makes him salty when he looks at his record.

He was 2.7lbs over the weight limit.

Only those with no personal experience in combat sports, and cutting weight, would be so ignorant.

I wrestled from 3rd grade through college, the idea of getting nearly THREE POUNDS free is a joke.

It's ridiculous he was granted a title shot being that far off the mark. You clearly have no idea what an advantage that is.

??

Romero was suppose to fight Gastelum and accepted fighting Rockhold on a short notice earlier date. He had to shorten his camp by a little more than 2 weeks. Common sense says that if he had those extra 2 weeks, like him and his team orginally planned, he would have been fine.

BS

He was 2.7lbs over weight after being granted a second attempt and more time in the sauna.

The man is a professional fighter, you know well in advance you aren't making weight. We don't have to guess or discuss the consequences, we saw there are none. You pay a nominal amount and still get granted a title shot despite being several pounds overweight.

So long as we reward cheating, this will continue to happen.

If you miss weight and win it should become NC, no title shot, and you have to fight Rumble next.

If you miss weight and win it should become NC, no title shot, and you have to fight Rumble next.
qf0PO.jpg

Missing weight should forfeit 100% of your purse. Make the contracted weight or don’t fight. Nobody forced these fucking guys to do this

I don't know why Sam Alvey is even a guy people talk about on the internet. Why is there a thread about a perennial prelim fighter and his opinions?

I wish there was a scale for weight cutting infractions say 10% a lb rounded up, so guys keep trying to get closer to the mark are rewarded and the guys showing up 5 or 6+lbs really feel it in their wallet.

Harsher penalties will cause more fighters to push for those last ounces. Sounds good, until you realize this will cause more injuries and may even lead to a death.

The answers is to monitor fighters weights and have policies that prevent these large, unhealthy weight cuts. If you do that, sure, increase the penalties .

If they are so unprofesional that there cut leads to death then as harsh as it sounds they almost deserve it (for the record I don't wish this on anyone and the effect on there loved ones would be awful) but they know months ahead the weight they're fighting at and this should never be an issue. If you choose to cut huge weight that is a big part of your job and if you can't do it it's entirely on you.

If I don't perform a key part of my job everytime I show up I will be fired, might get away with it once if I'm lucky but that's it.

It's called haveing accountablity and taking pride in your work as well as respecting your employer and doing what they thought you were capable of doing when they chose you to join there team over all the other applicants.

I don't know why Sam Alvey is even a guy people talk about on the internet. Why is there a thread about a perennial prelim fighter and his opinions?

Cause whatever you think about him he is in the inner circle and his opinion holds more value than yours since he has an inside view of the problem and lack of reprecussions?

That's probably the answer anyway but just a theory.

What are your thoughts? I agree 100%..
I think you and Sam Alvey are morons. No fighter has missed weight in five straight UFC events.

Maybe check the facts before making stupid threads. One would think you might actually provide statistics before making a thread like this.

I think if the weight begins to be a real struggle at the end, of course they must think out the performance/financial options availible.

Remember the W means more than a small money loss, people quickly forget the weight you didnt make but they always remember your last win.

I think you and Sam Alvey are morons. No fighter has missed weight in five straight UFC events.

Maybe check the facts before making stupid threads. One would think you might actually provide statistics before making a thread like this.
Nice, really.... Nice. Beautiful PMS tantrum demanding facts when you didn't check the facts.

The thread is about the reasons behind fighters missing weight. It is drastically more popular to miss weight now than before. The early weigh ins are part of the reason, but a lot of high profile fighters (Till, Lee, Yoel, etc), are missing weight and shooting up the rankings despite fucking up people when they didn't even make weight.

So nobody missed the last five events, that's amazing man. I guess the 51 prior don't matter right, because you set the criteria of the last five events? You should write for CNN, honestly.

"Ever since the UFC implemented early weigh-ins, there has been a drastic increase in fighters failing to make weight. Through the first 18 months of early weigh-ins, a total of 51 fighters have missed weight or failed to weigh in, per Mike Bohn of MMAJunkie. The prior 18 months saw just 17 fighters do so."

https://www.oddsshark.com/ufc/ufc-fighters-miss-weight-betting-records

Make Dana some money and it is like it never happened...

10% purse forfeited per lbs over the weight limit. Weigh in at 158.5 for a LW bout? Easy, lose 35% of your earnings.

BS

He was 2.7lbs over weight after being granted a second attempt and more time in the sauna.

The man is a professional fighter, you know well in advance you aren't making weight. We don't have to guess or discuss the consequences, we saw there are none. You pay a nominal amount and still get granted a title shot despite being several pounds overweight.

So long as we reward cheating, this will continue to happen.
Which part is BS?

Him accepting Rockhold on short notice and shortening his camp 2 weeks?

Him not being given his full 2 hours to make weight for the Whittaker fight?

The fact that MMA doesn't have a universal set of rules and regulations and him missing weight by .2 pounds in the Whittaker fight would have been fine in Vegas and many other jurisdictions but not Illinois?

Please tell me what part is BS.

Back