Sam Alvey thinks the wave of missing weight is intentional on behalf of fighters..

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by legkicktko, Aug 24, 2018.

1. legkicktko Only the Strong Survive

On the UFC show, he just said that every fighter knows that for example, if you're trying to cut to 155 and you're a big guy, those last 1.5 - 3lbs of weight to cut are a killer on the cardio but also on your strength going into the fight. He says its been known for a long time but now we are seeing guys intentionally miss in order to have an advantage by not being as depleted as their opponent.

What are your thoughts? I agree 100%. I think it should not only be a 20% deduction, but a 50% deduction for missing weight and in addition, I think you should not be allowed to climb ranking at all after a win where you missed weight. The fight wasn't at the right weightclass because you missed, therefore, no gain in ranking. In my opinion.

2. HughPhug Plug Tunin'

I don't know if it's deliberate but for sure there should be harsher punishments

Shit suspend them for a year if they can't do their job, pretty sure I'd be fired if I fucked up a major and high profile part of my job

3. Only Here for Attachments Stipe Justice Warrior

I enjoy the seething outrage that missing weight causes here. Imagining posters punching holes in their walls and yelling (while their parents just stand there looking confused) is hysterical <45>

4. MartiniSIDe Green Belt

There's no repercussion if you miss weight so of course some of them will take advantage of it. I dont think they necessarily plan to miss weight but when they struggle at the end of those last 2-3 pounds, they choose the easy way out much more than before.

FFS Till got a title shot off a fight that he failed weight badly and arguably lost.

5. Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

Me too. Luckily for me McDonalds is pretty forgiving..

6. Noleggeisha Brown Belt

If you’re getting seething outrage from the OP, you should get yourself checked. It’s just a discussion, you weirdo.

7. Noleggeisha Brown Belt

Videos of his cut clearly show he absolutely didn’t take the “easy way out”.

8. faustian I'M NOT A MONSTER Platinum Member

Till is the most egregious example of this. Missing weight got him a title shot lol

9. WhosTheBoss Degenerate

Should be 50% purse missed first offense
    2nd 80%
    3rd give up entire purse and are forced to fight in above weight class or face suspension

10. Only Here for Attachments Stipe Justice Warrior

Not necessarily from this exact topic, sperg, but in general. Just sit back and watch when someone misses, even by like .1 lbs. :cool:

11. Londonjitsu Brown Belt

Mackenzie dern didn't even look like she tried last time tbh

12. Unheralded Truth Purple Belt

"I ain’t no welterweight, I’m a light heavyweight in the welterweight division. It should be illegal, what I’m doing. The UFC should ban it but they can’t because I do it naturally and I do it professionally, and no one can do a fucking thing about it."

Words from Darren Till, before he didn't even try to make weight against Wonerboy. So what happens with the guy after that "failure"? Well, he gets a fucking title shot against T-Wood...

<Prem973>

13. legkicktko Only the Strong Survive

I am rooting so god damned hard for Till. I am a big fan of the guy. I'm also not a fan of Woodley.

That said, it is a fucking travesty to let Till fight for the title after missing weight and like you said, a fight he arguably didn't even win. It wasn't a title shot performance on top of the fact that he missed weight badly.

14. Medulla Omoplata Mayberry Comptroller

Well the UFC doesn't give a shit really so why wouldn't fighters miss weight. Fastest track to a title shot these days.

15. linvillegorge Silver Belt

It's all about risk vs. reward. The risk is losing a small portion of your fight purse. The reward is going into the fight with a clear advantage and still being advanced in the rankings including possibly "earning" a title shot for winning a fight where you missed weight.

The reward greatly outweighs the risk. That's why so many fighters keep missing weight.

16. Medulla Omoplata Mayberry Comptroller

I don't know if Till's shot or Brock's upcoming shot (if it comes together) are a bigger knock on the "integrity" of the sport

17. Lawrence Black Belt

I just hate when I go to the doctor and they make me weigh in with my work boots on.

#1 Bullshit

@still_Couldn't_Make_205

18. HughPhug Plug Tunin'

Subway are merciless...

19. HughPhug Plug Tunin'

When I was at the docs last year I hit 185lbs on the dot, just luck, but I had a little chuckle to myself, wondered how many other fight fans do the same

20. rjmbrd Gold Belt

Romero had nearly a month to make weight when he fought Rockhold. It wasn't 'short notice' like 10 days or some other extreme examples.

He knew 100% for at least two weeks prior he wasn't going to make it, if that was the plan, but kept it a secret or missed intentionally because the rules favor cheaters right now. Not having to cut to the actual weight gives you a huge advantage.

Considering Romero could miss weight and still be granted a title shot highlights how bad the system is right now. It makes a lot of sense to miss weight if you reap the same rewards with only a minor financial punishment.