russians and bjj??

nope cause they have wrestling coaches, and fedor was almost subbed by mark hunt so his ground defence does ave flaws, if he had 10bjj blackbelts training with him he would probably never been in that situaiotn.

Are you serious?? Nog never came close, but mark hunt, a kickboxer, almost subbed him? Are you stupid????? Hunt wasn't even close.

seriously do you think fedor let hunt put that keylock on??

he posted his arm in a very "nono" way just like alex did against barnett.
that just tells me that noone in fedors camp has the knowledge to exploit a mistake like that.

honestly do you think anyone kicks fedors ass in training?
probably not!
but sooner or later someone will either in training if he brings in some good hw grapplers to train with(not very likekly)

or in a fight

cause exept fedor most russian fighters have looked like shit against good bjj/submission wrestling fighters.

Oleg Taktarov? Actually there haven't been a lot of Russians who've gone into MMA, its not a big sport there yet, though hopefully Fedor will change that. More of them are going into boxing, because there's more money in it, and they're seeing the success of their heavyweights.

Grappling for MMA is quite different than pure grappling - how long do you think it would take Jacare to submit Mayhem in a pure submission tournament? Couple of minutes maybe? In MMA he won a clear decision, but couldn't get a submission. For that matter, who do you think would win between Big Nog and Werdum in a pure submission tournament? Or Penn and GSP? I suspect Werdum would beat Big Nog, and Penn would easily beat GSP in submission grappling, whereas in MMA Werdum and Penn both lost.

Beyond that, all the styles interchange techniques now-a-days, because so many people cross train. In fact, that's always been the case. People talking about pure styles are usually trying to sell you something ie trying to get you to buy their 'superior product'. For instance right now there's a lot of techniques being transferred between BJJ and judo (both ground and standing), and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't happening between sambo and BJJ as well, with techniques going both ways. Competitive athletes don't care about purity, they're in it to win, and they'll take any technique from any style that gives them a victory. Drives the purists crazy. You'll hear a few judo traditionalists talking about bad judo winning olympic gold (they were much better in their day of course :icon_lol:), and some of the Gracies lamenting the decline of BJJ. It's rough being a purist when there's so much info out there so people can pick and choose techniques rather than just learning what the master showed you :icon_chee

I think the best thing about sambo as opposed to judo and BJJ is that they don't bother with belt ranks :icon_chee

seriously do you think fedor let hunt put that keylock on??

he posted his arm in a very "nono" way just like alex did against barnett.
that just tells me that noone in fedors camp has the knowledge to exploit a mistake like that.

honestly do you think anyone kicks fedors ass in training?
probably not!
but sooner or later someone will either in training if he brings in some good hw grapplers to train with(not very likekly)

or in a fight

You realize that makes Hunt a better submission grappler than Big Nog, as Big Nog wasn't able to exploit the mistake at all. Presumably Big Nog should train with Hunt to learn how to do it :icon_twis

I suspect a lot of folks kick Fedor's ass in training, simply because in training you often work by letting your opponent get you into trouble and then try to find the solution. Certainly the Russian national judo team (which Fedor was on for years) does this, as does every other team I've ever heard of. I've submitted and thrown two judo olympic medalist in training ... in a tournament I'd probably last a total of ten seconds against both of them. Training isn't competition, especially at the highest level. There are no bragging rights for it. Training is preparing for important matches or tournaments by working on your weaknesses. You can see this in boxing too - guys like Mayweather will let their sparring partners get them into the corner and work on them, while they practice defending - something their partners would never be able to do in a real match.

Interesting thread.

I'd think it as in why has bjj panned in certain countries.

Brazil? As far as I know they are 'Big' in judo and not so much wrestling...plenty room for bjj to become a big sport.

US? Big wrestling and not alot judo it seems...plenty room for bjj.

England? Decent judo and not much wrestling... lottsa room for bjj.

Russia? Unique in that its big in all wrestling, judo and sambo...seems pretty booked. For sure it would take much more time for bjj to get a hold here.

Sambo was basically integrated militarily into the Russian culture. Most people tend to stick with things that they are comfortable with. Russians tend to be exposed to Sambo earlier on and therefore grow comfortable with that style. Check out my article on World Extreme Fighter about Fedor and his use of Sambo.

Sambo was basically integrated militarily into the Russian culture. Most people tend to stick with things that they are comfortable with. Russians tend to be exposed to Sambo earlier on and therefore grow comfortable with that style. Check out my article on World Extreme Fighter about Fedor and his use of Sambo.

Not close to its judo and wrestling it seems.

I have no doubt that the Combat Sambo is elite tho. In the hands of an american entreprenuer, they could make it as dominant as nogi mma in as it is now. Prolly moreso with refinements. Unfortunately it seems, everyone is still just learning.

I sayeth HI-5 to combat sambo and believe they Could create better fighters/athletes than nogi mma. ....THATS Sambos 'cue'. Lets see if they get it.

The gi is a progressive tool in evolving da 'human being' for any freestyle fights imo.

I should copyright this shit. Pure Gold.

YouTube - John Stewart - Gold.(1979).

Wearing just a Gi top is funny.

They take pride in Sambo and believe that its the way to go.

Why are Brazilians not training sambo?

Wearing just a Gi top is funny.

They take pride in Sambo and believe that its the way to go.

Why are Brazilians not training sambo?

It has little to do with the gi. Its about training to adapt, refine and modify fast. Its about the human being which is a real advantage to a fistfight between any 2 similar athletes in a fight. How do you feel that the Soviets built a nice top freestyle game in the olys.......? Bjj shows to me that gi on ground is quite fine for qiuck refinement. The rules/scores are the real adaptation. That, unfortunately, takes brains or determination.LOL

Why would brasil go sambo when they elite in both judo/bjj? Why?

It has little to do with the gi. Its about training to adapt, refine and modify fast. Its about the human being which is a real advantage to a fistfight between any 2 similar athletes in a fight. How do you feel that the Soviets built a nice top freestyle game in the olys.......? Bjj shows to me that gi on ground is quite fine for qiuck refinement. The rules/scores are the real adaptation. That, unfortunately, takes brains or determination.LOL

I am just saying just wearing the GI top makes it look funny plus the headgear.

I am just saying just wearing the GI top makes it look funny plus the headgear.

The gi top to me looks ok but the headgear...in russia? They jist got into pro fighting. I was surprised to see the Klitchko brothers w/o headgear.:)

Their mmaers still throw amateur boxing strikes even from Fedor.

Back