russians and bjj??

Sambo has submissions, including armbars, kimura's, kneebars etc, I don't think it has as many chokes as BJJ though.

this is not a sambo vs bjj thread!

i personally think that a sambo player with 5years training will beat a bjj guy with the same amount of training in mma, cause sambo is more a more rounded style,

but the bjj will win the ground fight.

it

i am not denying that, but still there is no reason to not fly in some bjj coaches to help the russians evolve their ground game,
that is what i am questioning.
since they have flewed in alot of cuban boxers to help them in that aspect.

I would think BJJ has lots of tricks on the ground that Sambo lacks, like others have suggested. But then I wonder why Fedor is awesome on the ground. I don't think he's studied BJJ anymore than anyother MMA fighter who does all-round training. Care to give an explanation? I'm curious what people think.

cause fedor is more than your average sambo fighter,
he is the karelin of mma, he has probably figured out alot of his technique by himself, i heard that he didn

This is like asking a brazilian if he trains Sambo.

this is not a sambo vs bjj thread!

i personally think that a sambo player with 5years training will beat a bjj guy with the same amount of training in mma, cause sambo is more a more rounded style,

but the bjj will win the ground fight.

it

Wont hold my breath waiting for the BTT to hire a Sambo coach to work their takedowns and leglocks.

Fedor and Oleg Taktarov have never lost by submission and won most of their fights via submission.

nope cause they have wrestling coaches, and fedor was almost subbed by mark hunt so his ground defence does ave flaws, if he had 10bjj blackbelts training with him he would probably never been in that situaiotn.

Sambo doesn't have chokes. I am russian , so i know it from people who train it.
BJJ is just not popular here in Russia at all.
The same with the world of MMA , people just know Fedor,know that he is the best and thats it.

just like a sambo expert will 9 times out of ten get his ass kicked on the ground by a bjj expert with similar experience.

You can say the same about catch guys vs. BJJ. Catch guys make BJJ guys look silly mostly due to leg locks.

Well, sambo translates more directly to MMA than BJJ, especially combat sambo. Yeah, a Sambo guy probably would get schooled by a pure BJJ guy on the ground, but then again so would most MMA fighters. Russian's never train BJJ probably due to a cultural thing, and Sambo is much more ingrained in the Russian culture therefore much more accessible for your average Russian.

Kudos, my thoughts exactly . . . We've all heard of MMA BJJ and thats what I think Sambo is more related to cause sambo is pretty unorthodox (yes its technical) but it has many forms including sport and combat Sambo, which includes striking and jits in a combined form

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back