• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Russia v. Ukraine Conflict Megathread Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Armed cat, fish enthuasist in Kyiv.

FMiOnbJXEAI18r0

My hero!

An anecdote from a good friend of mine who has family living in Ukraine: Some Russian soldiers apparently were told that they were participating in a training exercise and only found out after the fact that they were being sent into armed combat. The Russian soldiers don't want to be there, and feel as though they are being forced to fire against brothers.

Take with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was the case. Outside of a handful of people, very few actually think this is a war worth fighting.
Tell your soldiers it's a training exercise. Ukraine realizes it is not and attacks those Russians on the "training exercise", Putin gets to tell his rank and file soldiers they were attacked and "this means war"...

Makes perfect sense. Putin is a scumbag who cares about himself, not the Russian soldiers and his people. Fuck Putin and fuck everyone carrying his water and those trying to muddy the fact he is the ONLY aggressor in this conflict.

Doesn't the stability of the US Dollar (and to a lesser extent the Euro) undermine the alternate options of China, etc? By comparison isn't the Yuan (and other currencies) far more volatile? I have a very rudimentary understanding of these currency markets so I readily admit I may not know what the hell I'm talking about...

I’m not an expert either, but I think this would allow China to, say, buy oil from Russia and pay in RUB / RMB or Euros without having to go via USD, therefore to a small extent weaking the US.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...as-deal-using-new-pipeline-source-2022-02-04/

Proven right? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Trump was sucking Putin's balls for 4 years and now he comes back saying Putin is a genius and that this happened because the election was stolen lol. You guys talk about Biden being senile but trump seem to have loss his marbles a long time ago.
He sucked his balls? He didn't put up with none of putins shit.
He also didn't sign off on the pipeline like Biden did. We also weren't buying tons of oil from Russia while Trump was president. He also warned Germany what would happen if they became energy dependent on Russia. Yeah he got soooo much wrong lol.
We also didn't have these issues when Trump was president. Americans will have their say.

I’m not an expert either, but I think this would allow China to, say, buy oil from Russia and pay in RUB / RMB or Euros without having to go via USD, therefore to a small extent weaking the US.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...as-deal-using-new-pipeline-source-2022-02-04/

Okay yeah that's kinda what I thought. I wonder if not using the world's benchmark currency for payments at all has any sort of negative impact? Someone way more knowledgeable than me would need to dive into that LOL.

An anecdote from a good friend of mine who has family living in Ukraine: Some Russian soldiers apparently were told that they were participating in a training exercise and only found out after the fact that they were being sent into armed combat. The Russian soldiers don't want to be there, and feel as though they are being forced to fire against brothers.

Take with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was the case. Outside of a handful of people, very few actually think this is a war worth fighting.
I've posted it before, the comitee of soldier's mothers of Russia has said exactly the same.

According to some finnish friends Finland is next and they are convinced.

They noticed that from his speech when he said Lenin made mistake to release some of the empires lands

So what's the likely follow-up actions Russia could take assuming they do launch nuclear weapons? A ground war seems unlikely given the failure in Ukraine, so it seems suicidal. I guess it depends on what nukes they use, if they go tactical or razed earth.

Okay yeah that's kinda what I thought. I wonder if not using the world's benchmark currency for payments at all has any sort of negative impact? Someone way more knowledgeable than me would need to dive into that LOL.

Eventually it should lead to a loss of USD purchasing power if not as many are needed and the FED keeps creating trillions of new ones every year.

According to some finnish friends Finland is next..

They noticed that from his speech when he said Lenin made mistake to release some of the empires lands

Nah not yet

They will come if nato vote goes through which it wont due to goverment lacking character to make hard decisions

Or they will come pre-emptively to not risk us joining nato

"Starts sweating"

@...El Ray @Repsac but seriously though. That seems to be the only option.

The weird thing to me is that Putin has always been extremely calculating. The narrative of "Putin has lost his mind" just feels such a lazy and simple way to explain the situation.

But then again, the guy has been a silent dictator of a massive country for 23 years, after being a fucking KGB spy for some (correct me if I'm wrong) 20 odd years. That will change any man over the course of time. Could it all be so simple?
If only one person is in charge and everyone is afraid of him they probably won't give him many reports that contradict his opinion. Long term that creates an echo chamber and a warped sense of reality. Have pretty much absolute power for so long changes an man and authoritarian leaders getting more irrational once they get old is nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.