• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Russia v. Ukraine Conflict Megathread Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
AT4's, effective against everything but MTB. More portable and easily transportable than much heavier NLAW or even more porky Javelins. Also produced in confined space version that you can fire from yes, confined spaces.

Thanks! It seems the Danes will be sending 2700 as well.

Just a random thought…in the long term, what is the impact of weaponizing supposedly neutral shared systems such as SWIFT? What country that is not completely aligned with the West would still trust these institutions and not become extra motivated to developing their own, making it that much harder for the world to become united.

It's not done lightly, so only in the most extreme situations is it even considered. Clearly, it takes a hell of a lot more than someone "not completely aligned with the West" to even consider something this drastic.

If this spurs any nations to want to break off from being involved these banking agreements...the question would be how important it actually is to have those nations involved anyway.

An anecdote from a good friend of mine who has family living in Ukraine: Some Russian soldiers apparently were told that they were participating in a training exercise and only found out after the fact that they were being sent into armed combat. The Russian soldiers don't want to be there, and feel as though they are being forced to fire against brothers.

Take with a grain of salt, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was the case. Outside of a handful of people, very few actually think this is a war worth fighting.

Just a random thought…in the long term, what is the impact of weaponizing supposedly neutral shared systems such as SWIFT? What country that is not completely aligned with the West would still trust these institutions and not become extra motivated to developing their own, making it that much harder for the world to become united.

I believe China and Russia have been developing their own albeit closed ring version of swift recently.

It's not done lightly, so only in the most extreme situations is it even considered. Clearly, it takes a hell of a lot more than someone "not completely aligned with the West" to even consider something this drastic.

If this spurs any nations to want to break off from being involved these banking agreements...the question would be how important it actually is to have those nations involved anyway.

I think it's basically going to incentivize new iron curtains all over the place

Denmarks PM just said there are nothing legally stopping people to travel to Ukraine and fight against Russia,.

I think it's basically going to incentivize new iron curtains all over the place

It's hard to have a crystal ball about these things but what you say is absolutely possible.

Denmark will also be sending 300 stinger missiles to US to be serviced and then to Ukraine.

I don't remember this at all but jeez...

Oh I remember that. Along with “binders full of women”. Democrats did Romney dirty. Mitt was probably the squeakiest clean candidate we’ve ever seen and the democrats just slandered him. It’s what I believe led to republicans throwing up their hands and saying “fuck it, I’ll vote for a guy who’s as big a creep as they are.”

Armed cat, fish enthuasist in Kyiv.

FMiOnbJXEAI18r0

This is I think often a weakness in the militaries of authoritarians, they basically keep the troops in line as much with the threat of punishment as with any sense of duty so when they have the chance to back out of combat without that happening they do.
Yes and you also have to consider that half of Russian's army is just regular young men doing military service, imagine how motivated they are when it comes to fighting an offensive war. Russian law prohibits sending conscripts in a warzone, unless they sign a contract to become professional soldiers, but the comitee of soldier's mothers of Russia has reported that many have been pressured and forced into signing a contract and that they were told first that they'd just go to the border for practice drills.
If that's true than we have an explanation why they have no will to fight and are almost relieved when they get captured.

Status
Not open for further replies.