Ronny Markes - the epitome of whats wrong in MMA

not 100% but doesnt gsp get back to 190s by fight time? or is that just his walk around weight

Then you'd have to have same day weigh-ins. You'd still have guys cutting weight and trying to rehydrate before the fight, but without adequate time to rest, rehydrate and balance their electrolytes. That's a dangerous situation.

I'm all for same day weigh-ins. If they want to put their life in danger, that's their prerogative. But only the most foolhardy lunatics would do that. And even these guys who would risk their life for the sport would have to admit there's no point in cutting, since they'd be so drained trying to rehydrate by fight time that they'd fight like crap. Same day weigh-ins will completely destroy any incentive to cut weight. That's a good thing, in my opinion.

I dont like it, but everyone is pretty much doing that.

What's wrong in MMA is some guys not knowing how to stuff takedowns, especially when their opposition is a good wrestler. That's what is wrong with mixed martial arts.

Markes isn't even a good wrestler. LOL. His weight advantage wouldn't help that much due to lack of technique. Aaron Simpson did drop down after that fight if I'm correct though.

Funny though Ronny Markes reminds me of a stereotypical American wrestler. He has no intention of striking at all.

Yeah this is ridiculous, the wheigh in should be JUST BEFORE the fight, that would be perfect, so fighters would fight at their normal weight, this would be better for them too, without cuts and without crazy shit to lose weight their performance would be better, for sure.

fights at 185, can weigh in at 185 but when he enters the cage he is 217lbs? this is according to Chael on the broadcast.

how can people even justify this being ok? to go into a fight and be heavier than Light heavyweight?

sorry but this is nonsense you should have to weigh in at 185(or whatever your weight division is) or less a couple hours before the fight. if you can't then get the fuck out of that weight class.

No, quite frankly, you clearly know nothing about MMA or the concept of competition. Almost every fighter employed by the UFC cuts weight, and it's absolutely up to them how much weight they feel comfortable cutting prior to the fight. It is actually interesting considering it is different for every fighter and it can be an advantage or disadvantage. If you can cut the weight, you can cut the weight. You're just doing extra work, and there's nothing wrong with that. If somebody can cut a lot of weight and they fell they can make a distinct advantage in their favor, they have the right to. These people have families and they should be able to do everything possible to gain an advantage. You're wrong.

The stupid thing is, is "everybody" does it, then "everybody" should just move up to their natural weight. They would all still fight the same people they'd fight at their current weight class, and they wouldn't go through the hellish weight cutting ordeal.

So someone who walks at 215 should have to fight Heavyweight, meaning guys who might weigh in at 250ish? There's weight cuts for a reason. It sucks having to do it, but it puts everybody on an even page. If you have to cut that much more to get to their weight class, then its only going to hurt you come fight time.

I do understand your thought process though. It would be nice, but there would be many disadvantages as well.

I'm ok w/ the weight cut just because there's not a good alternative BUT I hate Markes' wall n stall.

Everybody cuts weight. Everybody re-hydrates. Everybody plays by the same rules.

I don't know why you're singling out Ronny Markes.

If this is true.... then everyone should stop cutting weight, becasue you're fighting the same guys anyway. I 'd rather see you with full energy and without the dehydration lag.

Not only do I dislike the weightcutting.... but then he is the most boring of the prelim.

Chael is just talking shit as always. :p

He was actually 225. His coaches gave that information to the Brazilian commentators. Can't say I hate the guy though, he's earned me a lot of money on his three UFC fights.

He is boring as fuck but it is not like I make money doing the most exciting job in the world, so I'm ok with that.

The stupid thing is, is "everybody" does it, then "everybody" should just move up to their natural weight. They would all still fight the same people they'd fight at their current weight class, and they wouldn't go through the hellish weight cutting ordeal.

It's too late for that. Millions have been spent marketing and promoting top fighters and champions under this system. It would be unfeasible to change everything at this point.

I took a class from Andrew Craig at Tooke MMA.

He could have done more in the last round and finished the fight.

Why he asked Travis "should I go for something?" is beyond me. If it's there in the moment, take it.

If he took it, we wouldn't have to worry about Markes and his weight.

I thought you were gonna say he fought a really boring fight. That would make sense. They all cut weight.

Markes is a system gamer. Have same day weigh-ins, and use damage as a criteria, is he even an average MMA fighter? I'm not just talking UFC here. The guy's striking is rudimentary, wrestling technique is average, and we haven't seen submission savvy, at least in the UFC. I have more of a problem with his style, but the cutting massive weight to gain a built in advantage doesn't make him very admirable either. It's the rules, blah, blah, blah; and .stuff. It's a contrived rule so they can hype fights and make more money. Cutting 32 pounds is not in the spirit of the rule. It'll cost him more in the long run, but that doesn't do anything for his opponents.

Ive got more of an issue with how he fought.

That fight was terrible.

Markes isn't even a good wrestler. LOL. His weight advantage wouldn't help that much due to lack of technique.

You have no idea what you are talking about. He has great technique. No amount of weight advantage will make you outwrestle an excellent wrestler like Simpson. You gotta combine that with good technique.

Back