Ronny Markes - the epitome of whats wrong in MMA

If he can weigh in at 185, i can't complain.

We have drunk guys crashing into poles and losers raping women.. yet you're worried about fighters cutting weight???

The best part of Ronny Markes is that his corner doesnt even try to hide the fact that they are trying to squeeze by on points.

He must also be the epitome if whats wrong with Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, sumo, Taekwondo, BJJ etc etc

MMA isn't the only sport that involves cutting weight and its not a new idea either.

My former Boxing coach would cut from 66kg(aprox 146lb) to 60kg(aprox 132lb) back in the '50s

I call BS on markes coming in at 217 lbs.. looked more like 197-202.. And even if he did, thats quite embarrassing that he cant do anything with that weight-advantage...

I TOTALLY disagree. He looked more like 196-201.

Same day weigh ins WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

No promoter in his right mind will do weigh ins the day of. A day's time gives them the ability to switch fights around if fighters don't make their obligated weights, and if need be possibly find late replacements.

Because of this, weight cutting will always be part of the sport. As long as the weigh ins are held the day before the fight, guys will always cut weight.

Tough balls, learn to cut weight.
See the way that dude gasses? There's always a tradeoff.

Also, day-before weigh-ins is a harm reduction thing.

Everybody cuts weight. Everybody re-hydrates. Everybody plays by the same rules.

I don't know why you're singling out Ronny Markes.
sums up my whole position on modern mma and a lot of gripes people have with fighters. as long as a fighter isnt breaking any rules then he can do whatever he wants. if people dont like it they should focus their disdain on the rule makers

frankie edgar smashed maynard.

frank edgar wasnt cutting nothing significant where as maynard was noticeably much larger on fight day. how did that turn out?

if a fighter wants to cut that much then they are allowed. its their choice if they want to put their selves through that and let it effect their performance. as long as you weigh the right amount on the scale then your good to go. and that's the right way to do it.

a weigh in on the same day would just mean people trying to cut weights still and trying to re hydrate on the same day then fight of the night and it would lean to major problems. your never going to stop weight cutting its a fact.

Belfort for his fight with Rumble weighed in at 185 and the next morning on Dana's video blog was shown weighing in again at 204. He put on 20 pounds in less than 24 hours by fight time he was most likely about 210.

Everyone does it. It's stupid but everyone does it.

It was said that Fejao weighed in at about 230 when he entered the cage against Hendo. He was heavier than Fedor when he fought Hendo.

It just how MMA works.

MMA at its most fundamental is a display of what martial skills are most effective against an opponent when forced to fight within specific parameters. It's also an exhibition of which of two fighters in a given match is ultimately a better practitioner of these skills and able to tie them together into an effective whole. If we are lucky it’s also another piece of the elusive puzzle that asks who is the overall best at this within a given division in the sport.

BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing, MT, Judo, etc... Are all martial skills that have elements that can be incorporated to answer this question? Development of these skills is a natural process of their utilization and central to the whole point of the sport. Weight training, dieting, endurance training, etc. are all natural means of honing the body to best utilize these skills in the safest most effective manner possible to the individual. The most important thing to point out is that these are all progressive processes which either maintain or develop peak efficiency

Weight cutting through dehydration is a process whereby the body is put in an unnatural and unhealthy state for a limited duration and which requires the athlete to have to try to correct as much as possible prior to their fight in order to not only provide a more natural performance, but also return a measure of safety to the activity. Those that are unable to sufficiently recover from this harmful unnatural state on average are unable to perform with the peak efficiency all the months of training prior is supposed to allow for. Overall we see subpar exhibitions of skill and for shorter durations. This means less value on investment for those that actually pay to attend or pay for the PPV. It also means the important question of who is actually better at MMA-style fighting is less likely to be answered and it’s more likely that a fighter may sustain a concussion or dehydration related injury such as being more susceptible to being cut because the skin is now less elastic and less able to sustain crushing or tearing force.

The weigh in process as its currently practiced in MMA does nothing to truly level the playing field as it was intended. It allows an activity that harms the live application of the sport by keeping many athletes from showcasing the very highest levels of martial skill and athleticism, levels they could easily maintain for three rounds, if not five, otherwise.

It allows a "dummying down" element to be introduced into the contest whereby an athlete can simply look to cram in a strength advantage through a procedural loophole to offset skill disadvantage rather than force an athlete to rigorously apply their time to technique development or to develop faster better situational awareness and strategic thinking while in the octagon.

I hope it never happens, but... I think we'll see a death from blood clots or a stroke from these extreme weight cuts. They are very dangerous, and these fools don't realize it.

Back