Ronda Rousey: "The Olympians In Our Country Are Pretty Much Useless"

Ronda sounds like a pure Communist if she wants the government and citizens to pay for her athletic achievements that generate no actual value.

Ronda makes more money than just about all Russian medalists though. She has no right to complain.

The Chinese and Russians give their medalists housing and all kinds of perks that are way better than Home Depot job placement

Can't really state that you do it for your country, pride, family...etc, and not doing it for the money. Then turn around and complain about not getting paid afterwards.

If you're worried about getting paid afterwards than you essentially did it for the money and not for the other reasons stated.

this chick is the female chael sonnen.

the problem is that there aren't any other chick fighters to talk trash to. there may not even be a female's division in a year's time.

The Chinese and Russians give their medalists housing and all kinds of perks that are way better than Home Depot job placement

Well, they get a crappy apartment for free and a stipend, like deluxe USA welfare.

My point is NOW she is getting a lucrative UFC contract nearly all because of her Olympic level judo training.

I know who Mark Spitz and Bruce Jenner are.

The guy saying no one will remember Michael Phelps in 6 years has to be trolling.

The kid is the most dominant Olympian we've ever seen from NA, let alone, ever seen in the Olympics.

Well, they get a crappy apartment for free and a stipend, like deluxe USA welfare.

My point is NOW she is getting a lucrative UFC contract nearly all because of her Olympic level judo training.

Every time someone doubts Ronda, or even questions her skills....What's the first thing they cite?

But, but, but....She won a Bronze Medal in the Olympics!

depends on the sport, some obviously pay way more but I think all gold medalists do pretty well in endorsements.

Ronda's bronze has made her a lot of money, it was part of why she got so much attention. When she first started MMA that's all you heard about was her Olympic level grappling.

I see where she's coming from to a certain extent...Americans place so much social value on sports, Olympians are heroes for 15 minutes when they return from the games medals in hand, but what then? Unless you become a national celebrity like Phelps (who has after all won more medals than anyone, ever) I imagine you would feel betrayed and a little lost. It's like 'okay USA, you told me it was worthwhile to devote my life to sports and bring back a medal, now you're telling me that all my skills and all that time and effort was utterly worthless in terms of getting a job?'

I can see where they'd be bitter. The best answer is probably for us to stop treating sports like such a big deal, but that's not going to happen. If the Olympics were truly for amateurs and not de facto professionals this also wouldn't be an issue, but then we wouldn't lead the world in medal count, would we? Though all that training and dedication has allowed Ronda to get the skills needed to fight in the UFC, so she probably shouldn't be complaining too much.

this is exactly why I never competed in the olympics.

depends on the sport, some obviously pay way more but I think all gold medalists do pretty well in endorsements.

Ronda's bronze has made her a lot of money, it was part of why she got so much attention. When she first started MMA that's all you heard about was her Olympic level grappling.

If nothing else an olympic medal will get you a good job as a coach of that sport. And most will get some value out of their celebrity as a motivational speaker or whatever even if it is not a revenue generating sport.

I see where she's coming from to a certain extent...Americans place so much social value on sports, Olympians are heroes for 15 minutes when they return from the games medals in hand, but what then? Unless you become a national celebrity like Phelps (who has after all won more medals than anyone, ever) I imagine you would feel betrayed and a little lost. It's like 'okay USA, you told me it was worthwhile to devote my life to sports and bring back a medal, now you're telling me that all my skills and all that time and effort was utterly worthless in terms of getting a job?'

I can see where they'd be bitter. The best answer is probably for us to stop treating sports like such a big deal, but that's not going to happen. If the Olympics were truly for amateurs and not de facto professionals this also wouldn't be an issue, but then we wouldn't lead the world in medal count, would we? Though all that training and dedication has allowed Ronda to get the skills needed to fight in the UFC, so she probably shouldn't be complaining too much.

The Olympics aren't even held as a yearly event, it's not even that big of a deal to everyone during, and most certainly not after!

It's a series of athletic / sports competitions, if you will, games.

Get over yourself Ronda, go preform brain surgery or something and then tell us you don't get enough credit.

It's a double edged sword. She should have been informed long before competing in the Olympics that the reward after the events just isn't quite fair, so it was still her choice.

But I find it quite odd what a huge deal North Americans (not sure about abroad) make out of the Olympics, with major coverage, and appearances on Tonight Show...etc. Only for these people to fade so quickly without much glory. I understand that super atheletes like Phelps are made for life, but they are much more the exception than the rule. Yet someone who makes the 4th line on an NHL team (when they play) or a backup to a football or basketball team in major league sports are near millionaires. These people are not stars, but rather mere names near the bottom of the roster, but make much more.

What I find funny is that there are Olympians who do make a name for themselves after the International Event by excelling in pro sports. Which is what she's doing... so I don't see why she is bitching. She has a point, but for other athletes, not her.

I agree with this.

I've thought about this, too. It's like high school and collegiate wrestling were before MMA became big - you put so much of yourself into this sport for so long, and then the day comes that you can't do it anymore and you're left with nothing to show for all your work. I've had friends who were on the rowing team in college, and I wondered the same thing - you get out in a boat on a frigid lake at four in the morning for practice because you love it, not because you can get a scholarship for it or turn pro after college. It's the same with the Olympics. Unless you win a gold medal in a highly visible sport (judo really isn't one of them, even if Rousey had golded), you come home with pride and not much else. You really have to love your game to do all that.

Anyway, reading her comments with that perspective, it sounded more like she was making an observation than a complaint.

Should of picked a relevant sport like these guys
dream-team.jpg

They are amateurs for the most part.

Do well in the World Stage and you can make a living. If your event doesn't even have a World stage... well then there's your problem.

Back