Ronda Rousey: "The Olympians In Our Country Are Pretty Much Useless"

Should of picked a relevant sport like these guys
dream-team.jpg

You mean guys who were already pros making millions,compared to other sports where if you try to make money you get banned from the olympics?

Should of picked a relevant sport like these guys
dream-team.jpg

My former next door neighbor was the first if not the only man ever to win a world championship in two major sports, Basketball and Baseball. He never made that much money and sold paper products after his sporting career was over. So Ronda should STFU as she will make more than he ever did in sports even adjusted for inflation.

It's a double edged sword. She should have been informed long before competing in the Olympics that the reward after the events just isn't quite fair, so it was still her choice.

But I find it quite odd what a huge deal North Americans (not sure about abroad) make out of the Olympics, with major coverage, and appearances on Tonight Show...etc. Only for these people to fade so quickly without much glory. I understand that super atheletes like Phelps are made for life, but they are much more the exception than the rule. Yet someone who makes the 4th line on an NHL team (when they play) or a backup to a football or basketball team in major league sports are near millionaires. These people are not stars, but rather mere names near the bottom of the roster, but make much more.

What I find funny is that there are Olympians who do make a name for themselves after the International Event by excelling in pro sports. Which is what she's doing... so I don't see why she is bitching. She has a point, but for other athletes, not her.

Well I mean, many of them use the fact they were Olympians to their advantage all over the place.

The majority of sports also just aren't interesting

Maybe if you won more than a bronze you could make some money.

Ronda thinks the country owes her a job and an education because she was in the Olympics?

:rolleyes:

She must love Obama.

You mean guys who were already pros making millions,compared to other sports where if you try to make money you get banned from the olympics?

So Amateurs deserve millions? Idiot

Pretty funny how nba players where unbanned in the eighties, because other nation where using pro players.

Pretty funny how nba players where unbanned in the eighties, because other nation where using pro players.

How many sports are still banned? You have pro hockey and tennis players in now too. I guess boxing still is...

Honestly i thought it mildly amusing when Ronda surfaced in the not too distant past and started to make a name for womens MMA but honestly now its getting out of hand.

Im personally fucking sick of her already shes trying so hard to be a bad ass but failing to do so, its probably mean to say it but i hope that she loses the belt in her first defence and then we can put this shit to rest and move forward.

Just my 2 cents.

Q

Let's talk about a sport that gets little recognition, but is similar to MMA, wrestling. In the last decade there have been 4 gold medalists in freestyle. Chael Sanderson signed a 2 mil contract to coach at Penn State. henry Cejudo came out with a top selling book and toured for the majority of the following years. So those 2 are doing very well.

Maybe as a frumpy Judoka in America.

Sponsorships from being a swimming or track star?

21us0.gif
I think it's hilarious how many in here think Olympic swimmers make the big bucks. No, Michael Phelps got that money: by being the greatest Olympian of all time.

I wouldn't know anything about track stars.

So Amateurs deserve millions? Idiot

I was point out the IOC's hypocritical policy of bring in pro athletes in some sports,yet n other sports f the athletes put on shows and make profits, they're banned.I already mentioned this in a earlier post,too. idiot.

I've thought about this, too. It's like high school and collegiate wrestling were before MMA became big - you put so much of yourself into this sport for so long, and then the day comes that you can't do it anymore and you're left with nothing to show for all your work. I've had friends who were on the rowing team in college, and I wondered the same thing - you get out in a boat on a frigid lake at four in the morning for practice because you love it, not because you can get a scholarship for it or turn pro after college. It's the same with the Olympics. Unless you win a gold medal in a highly visible sport (judo really isn't one of them, even if Rousey had golded), you come home with pride and not much else. You really have to love your game to do all that.

Anyway, reading her comments with that perspective, it sounded more like she was making an observation than a complaint.
A collegiate wrestler has it way easier than an average Olympian. They get a fucking degree/education for free. So I don't really see how it is related.

Maybe if you won more than a bronze you could make some money.

Ronda thinks the country owes her a job and an education because she was in the Olympics?

:rolleyes:

compared to what a bunch of men running after a football get, she can moan.
getting a medal or being in the olympics is probably harder than getting a great nfl, contract. which so many do.
they dont represent their country but get loads of shit and are set for life

Back