Ronda Rousey: "The Olympians In Our Country Are Pretty Much Useless"

doherty

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
20120818_gav_aj4_538.0_standard_709.0.jpg

"The UFC and MMA stuff is so much more pure compared to all that to me, no one is going to change the rules of MMA because they prefer European style over Japanese style. It's never going to be like that. It will be as close to a real fight as possible and whoever wins, wins."

"The Olympians in our country are pretty much useless, you spend your whole life trying to get this medal and you don't do it to make money, you do it for your country, for your pride, for your family, and there's nothing set in place for what happens afterwards. They used to have a program where I'd work at Home Depot 20 hours a week and they'd pay me full-time, that was the only Olympic job program I have. There's nothing afterwards. There's no scholarship program, there's no job placement, after you won an Olympic medal and you've spent $100,000, you get 10 grand, which they tax you on. You get 10K for a bronze, 15K for silver, 25K for gold, which you get taxed on, and a handshake. I couldn't even buy a 2005 used Honda Accord LX with that."​

Read more...

Oh Ronda ... I think Michael Phelps begs to differ

209 Skrap Pack love their Hondas

The people in a popular sport make millions and never have to work again. Most come from upper middle class to rich families though.

Maybe if you won more than a bronze you could make some money.

Ronda thinks the country owes her a job and an education because she was in the Olympics?

:rolleyes:

It's a Cesar Gracie Fight Team rule that when you complain about money, you must mention Hondas.

The Olympians in China and Russia are probably better treated but then they own you

I don't understand what she is saying. Is she saying olympians are useless or its useless to be an olympian? i didn't read the article because I don't care.

I don't understand what she is saying. Is she saying olympians are useless or its useless to be an olympian? i didn't read the article because I don't care.

useless to make a living afterward

Ronda rhymes on Honda ...

Just saying' :redface:

It's a choice she made. She can talk about "doing all for your country", but in the end, you practice a sport for yourself. It shouldn't be a government priority to look after athletes.

It's a Cesar Gracie Fight Team rule that when you complain about money, you must mention Hondas.

Hahah nice.

Rousey is right though.. the olympics are concidered the greatest achievement for an athlete, but they don't get paid a fraction of what "pop" athletes get. Such is life I guess-pure business.

I don't have a problem with this rant at all.

but...coaching? I'm pretty sure if you're an Olympian, any number of colleges or other elite training schools will be chomping at the bit to get you. Will this supplement you for life? Maybe not.

There's also endorsements and other ways to market yourself as an Olympian

Ronda rhymes on Honda ...

Just saying' :redface:

"but Fonda has no motor in the back of her Honda..."

btw Rhonda does have a motor in the back of her Honda, lol

Back