Ronda Rousey: "The Olympians In Our Country Are Pretty Much Useless"

I think the real problem is the narrow attention that US fans have.

A gold in Judo in Russia is huge, here in the US it nets you little.

or put another way, in the US the fans are very in depth in their knowledge of the game/metagame, but have a very limited number of games they understand.

There is no rule that says Olympians must be paid so much money, especially not if you come.third in one of the least popular events.

Just because you trained and can throw people around, that doesn't entitle you to some crazy paycheck.

What about all of the people that work with the mentally ill, homeless and in war torn countries to lower peoples suffering. What a out professors who trained their mind just as hard as any athlete and get paid peanuts?

This sense of entitlement she seems and others seem to think they have because they're good at throwing people is ridiculous and just shows their capacity and selfishness.

This is comin from a person who never actually won a UFC title but was just given one .

1. To be fair the title she was given didn't exist before.

2. She kinda has a point, there's a reason the communists clean up medal wise at the Olympics.

3. Nobody really cares about the olympics anymore. Sad but true.

It's misleading if you don't have reading comprehension, ironically, as the quote echoes the thread title in full force. She is saying Olympians are useless, they don't make good money, there is no purpose, all you get is a handshake and medal, etc.

Do you even fucking speak English, FlyThai?

Thread title, "The Olympians in this country are useless"

What she said, "The Olympians in our country are PRETTY MUCH useless, you spend your while life trying to get this medal and you don't make money..."

Which is completely different from what the thread title implies she said.

Do you speak English? Or have any common sense whatsoever?

It's a double edged sword. She should have been informed long before competing in the Olympics that the reward after the events just isn't quite fair, so it was still her choice.

But I find it quite odd what a huge deal North Americans (not sure about abroad) make out of the Olympics, with major coverage, and appearances on Tonight Show...etc. Only for these people to fade so quickly without much glory. I understand that super atheletes like Phelps are made for life, but they are much more the exception than the rule. Yet someone who makes the 4th line on an NHL team (when they play) or a backup to a football or basketball team in major league sports are near millionaires. These people are not stars, but rather mere names near the bottom of the roster, but make much more.

What I find funny is that there are Olympians who do make a name for themselves after the International Event by excelling in pro sports. Which is what she's doing... so I don't see why she is bitching. She has a point, but for other athletes, not her.

She could easily be one of the highest paid Judo coaches anywhere in the US. Same with any Olympian medalist. You can go back and coach. It's a decent job. I guess not for her though. What does she plan to do when she is done fighting in about 6 years I wonder?

Ex-WMMA Fighters are like totally useless!

1. To be fair the title she was given didn't exist before.

2. She kinda has a point, there's a reason the communists clean up medal wise at the Olympics.

3. Nobody really cares about the olympics anymore. Sad but true.

Ronda makes more money than just about all Russian medalists though. She has no right to complain.

She makes excellent points.The Olympics are supposed to be all about this prestige,but unless you're a U.S. athlete in gymnastics,track (just track,cause no one ever hears about the field events), swimming or volleyball,you're lucky to get any tv time,which means no one see you,which means you won't be getting endorsements.
Plus,some Olympic sports forbid you from making money through the sport itself, which itself is hypocritical, considering they bring in "deam Teams" in other sports. So except for endoresements,if any,there's no money.
Anyone remember Kurt Angle? He went to "pro' wrestling after his gold,because there's no money in amateur wrestling. So much for Olympic prestige.

What she said, "The Olympians in our country are PRETTY MUCH useless, you spend your while life trying to get this medal and you don't make money..."

This.

These idiots just don't seem to be able to read, my friend.

Amen. 100%. Ronda is a mouthy piece of work that no one should be listening to.

The sooner Ronda goes away from MMA, the better.

The only thing I ever see you post is negative bullshit bashing fighters. Do that make you feel better about your own shit existence PD?

I like Ronda more when I don't hear her speak, or see her.

Oh damn, I can see it now Phelps vs Rousey. :icon_chee

I think your reading comprehension is weak. She should have said "olmypic medals or success are of little value in this country".

She said "Olympians are useless..."

She is wrong, Eric Heiden (bicycle event gold medalist) got a job as a financial consultant for a company I worked for and he made good money, it was only his Olympic fame that got him the job, and it helped him greatly in sales.

20120818_gav_aj4_538.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Read more...

She's probably still bitter she didn't get gold :icon_lol:

Back