Romero lost his way to a title shot, it’s hilarious.

if conor had lost another fight and then been given a shot at khabib you all would of went nuts. it seems to really depend on who fans have emotional attachments to, rather than any actual ranking system.

It's not that bad, Costa is injured and Cannon Fodder has only beat Hermansson, Branch and Silva. Compare that to the run Romero was on when he finally got his shot and you could make an argument Yoel deserved multiple title shots lol. I thought he was robbed against Whittaker and the Costa fight was close as well, still technically losses but he's still much more proven than Jared Cannonier.

I do love watching him fight but he is more undeserving than anyone in UFC history.
Really now compare him with mcgregor... and stop making fool of yourself ( not that I think romero should get title shot)...

its deserving. Romero is a monster, Izzy (the champ) wants the fight, no one wants to fight romero, everyone knows romero is a freak show fight. Everyone wins.

You know- by process of elimination, the overall unstable state of current 185 division, the nature of his tight losses and to who ( plus most believe he shouldve has his hand raised in 2nd fight with reaper)...... this really isnt an OMG moment in getting shot( costa only guy that definitely should be next).

You throw in all the other " UFC political navigations" towards title shots , this really isnt that bad. By letter of the law , it should but I just dont get that feeling here.

Most people thought he won against Whittaker the second time

That was the belt holder.

His fight against Costa could've went either way. Same with his first fight against Whittaker

Realistically, hes just as deserving as anyone in the division when you look at what actually happened In the fights versus just looking at wikipedia
FACTS

Despite the losses, which were all controversial, I think most people consider Yoel one of, if not the best active MW right now. Nobody has really beat him beyond controversial decisions. He's the measurement of who is great in the division.

Yeah he's kind of lucky to have the circumstances that happened giving him this. Super hotly contested decision with actual number 1 contender. Said number 1 contender being on the shelf, and other notable guy in the division who could be slotted in has no name value yet so they seem hesitant to bump him up.

So... wait. Because there were close decisions, we should consider it a win but we should also count where he did win as legit though he should have seen it stop on the stool? Shouldn't one count this as a loss? It could have been easily stopped by many other refs as it is the definition of dq on the stool or even a tko as he was unable to answer the bell with his trainer and all still in the ring along with the stool.
That fight is a tough example because every source told us that the UFC doc was to blame for the extra vaseline.

Moreover, in spirit of fairness, the only reason the fight was in danger of being stopped at the end of the 2nd was due to an unseen foul as well. All in all, it was a shitshow.

You cannot count close decision losses as wins (Im agreeing with you). However, it's not like he flat out earned a shot here. The general consensus is that he was robbed in the second Whittaker fight. In addition, the fight with Costa was 9-9 on the media scores, that's a pick em. No Yoel should not have earned the shot. Costa won the fight fair and square.

However, once Costa is unable to answer the call, then you have to go beyond him and say well, that fight was a pick em fight. If Costa can't, Yoel is acceptable. Yoel was never the first choice and that's ok to me. Its not nearly as egregious as Dan Henderson fighting Bisping for a title shot or Conor getting an instant rematch, which was offered and only through Khabib's stubbornness was not granted.

Let it sink in that with all that Tony and Gaethje have done at LW, the UFC offered the title shot to Conor first to avenge his loss. That is insanity.

How he did in those losses, and because Costa's injured, is why he's getting it. He wouldn't be fighting for the belt if he got beaten down.

He's an elite fighter and a top contender. It's certainly no worse for him to get a title shot, than someone with a win streak off weak opponents and favorable matchups.

Not close decisions, he was clearly robbed. You are blind if you can’t see that.

Also he didn’t fight Kennedy in his last 4 did he? And ref fucked not telling the corner men to get that shit out. Didn’t matter he punished Kennedy with his fists for cheating the round before grabbing his gloves. All was fair.
You don't know how to score fights if this is truly your opinion

Romero should be 3-1 in his last 4 and the ufc match makers know it.

rightfully deserved title shot imo.

imo uncrowned champ.
Even if you somehow give Yoel two 10-8s in the 2nd Rob fight (lol) he still wouldn't be champ since he lost that opportunity by failing to make weight

In no universe is Yoel the uncrowned champ

I'm still down to see Yoel vs Izzy tho

That fight is a tough example because every source told us that the UFC doc was to blame for the extra vaseline.

Moreover, in spirit of fairness, the only reason the fight was in danger of being stopped at the end of the 2nd was due to an unseen foul as well. All in all, it was a shitshow.

You cannot count close decision losses as wins (Im agreeing with you). However, it's not like he flat out earned a shot here. The general consensus is that he was robbed in the second Whittaker fight. In addition, the fight with Costa was 9-9 on the media scores, that's a pick em. No Yoel should not have earned the shot. Costa won the fight fair and square.

However, once Costa is unable to answer the call, then you have to go beyond him and say well, that fight was a pick em fight. If Costa can't, Yoel is acceptable. Yoel was never the first choice and that's ok to me. Its not nearly as egregious as Dan Henderson fighting Bisping for a title shot or Conor getting an instant rematch, which was offered and only through Khabib's stubbornness was not granted.

Let it sink in that with all that Tony and Gaethje have done at LW, the UFC offered the title shot to Conor first to avenge his loss. That is insanity.

It is insanity. That was sort of my point. Rankings, wins, losses all mean less when title shots are earned due to name recognition and popularity.

With Costa out, Cannonier should be the choice based off of what he is doing in the cage. Is he ready for it? That is another argument but one could ask the same of Romero who missed weight two of his last three fights.

The bigger issue that comes to me that by pushing back the younger talent in favor of a big name, you are sacrificing the young (who pull less numbers but are winning) to fight for a title where any fighter can lose on any given night in order to have the veterans get a title shot (who are on the back end of their career and arent going to pull that much larger numbers as champs).

Using the logic that is currently applied to the Romero fight, Jon Jones wouldnt have gotten his title shot when he did. He was a fresh face getting wins and got a step up in competition when Rashad got injured. Instead, we would have had Phil Davis who had just lost a decision to Rashad prior to this. Jon, who was gaining popularity had a surge in it when he won helping to catapult his fame. The same could be happening to Cannonier as an example, but they are pushed to the side in favor of one that has a larger fanbase and people who are fans give excuses of which losses should and shouldn't count. We have the same thing setting up for Aldo as well over guys who have earned their shot.

At some point, the UFC needs to stop placating fans of fighters who have been around instead of letting younger fighters get stuck in limbo while winning. Plus, factor in the division getting completely screwed up if Romero should win but missed weight. It would cause a demand for an immediate rematch to see if he could make weight and win again putting the whole division on hold to sort that out and force Costa to have to wait even longer for a title shot.

Goofapotimus just wants that Cuban market
giphy.gif

CUBAN AMERICANS. I don't think the UFC is a remote thought in Habana.

That's how the WMEUFC works: winning, losing, ranks, streaks don't matter. only money draws, PPV and shit talks during press conferences to get millions of views on YT and ESPN+

On Romero's defense, Izzy ASKED FOR HIM after costa got injured so in that sense it's not like there was a better replacement. Romero is as dangerous as Costa.

All of Romero’s losses in UFC could have easily went his way

Missed weight in 2 out of last three and lost 2 out of his last 3. The clown show continues. That being said I'm still gonna watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back