Rolling from knees? wtf

If you go to a high level BJJ tournament (Worlds, Pan-ams) at the Black Belt level you will see very little emphasis on takedowns. You will see many wrestling attempts and many tries and judo throws, but the majority of time you will see on guy pull guard and the other guy try to pass. For this reason BJJ guys (myself included) like to start from the knees because it takes to straight to the heart of the action and you can get the most of out of your training. We do a lot of takedowns we just do most of them on Saturdays exploring wrestling takedowns and judo throws with and without a gi. I like training from the knees because it really emphasizes the ground game, and that is very difficult to master if you are always focusing on takedowns.

they all start from the knees that i ve been to...y r u tripping....it saves injuries....you can work takedowns in the wrestling classes

i like to sit on my butt and work from my open guard, ts, you are being a lil baby.

Most of the schools here don't roll from the knees at least from what I've seen. I think it all has to do with your game and what works best for you and/or your training environment. Case in point we have nearly 8,000 square feet of mat space alone...(huge facility) and even more with the thai boxing and cross-training areas. So for us rolling at full-strength from the standing position seems to work well to simulate tournaments in every class.

I've rolled with people from other schools who started from the knees and it was fine too. As long as you are covering the different aspects of the game (ie: takedowns in a separate class) then everything works out in the end. I like starting from the standing position because it's ultimately what I've done in every tournament I've been to.

I hate starting from the knees.

But, what are you gonna do. If you are into shoot-wrestling, you can modify a lot of standing transitions into submissions to the knees.

The only problem is that the mechanics and the reflexes and all that are different, so it messes me up a little if I roll from the knees too much.

However, at the same time, it allows you a greater understanding of what makes your standing transitions work and all that.

I went to check out an ATT gym that opened near me, and they start rolling from their knees? wtf is that shit. The instructor is a cool guy, a pro fighter, BJJ black belt, Judo Black belt, and i asked why do you roll from knees, and he said "because this is BJJ, we start on feet in our UFC stand up class"... wtf?

First of all I have a hard time believing any pro fighter would use the term UFC stand up class. What the fuck is UFC stand up??? Starting on your knees is a good way not to lose an ankle or knee especially when there are a lot of guys rolling at the same time. Also starting on the kness saves a lot of energy not working for takedowns so you can focus more on you bjj and not have to worry about wrestling, because sometimes you'll get guys who don't want to go down to the ground so you'll end up in the clinch with someone a whole round and you don't even get on the mat. Personally I like starting on my knees, because my takedowns are really good, but I need a lot more work on my bjj so I usually pull guard to get as much work as I can on my back.

First of all I have a hard time believing any pro fighter would use the term UFC stand up class. What the fuck is UFC stand up??? Starting on your knees is a good way not to lose an ankle or knee especially when there are a lot of guys rolling at the same time. Also starting on the kness saves a lot of energy not working for takedowns so you can focus more on you bjj and not have to worry about wrestling, because sometimes you'll get guys who don't want to go down to the ground so you'll end up in the clinch with someone a whole round and you don't even get on the mat. Personally I like starting on my knees, because my takedowns are really good, but I need a lot more work on my bjj so I usually pull guard to get as much work as I can on my back.

lol for real.

"UFC stand up class" hahahaha

lol for real.

"UFC stand up class" hahahaha

Haha, that's one of the things I hate the most,when people ask I heard you're doing UFC fighting or what's even worse is when someone says they do UFC fighting. If you say you do UFC fighting unless you're in the UFC which I'm sure noone in the UFC would be gay enough to say that, you obviously don't train or you train so you can look cool and brag to your friends about it which is the worst reason ever to take up the sport.

I went to check out an ATT gym that opened near me, and they start rolling from their knees? wtf is that shit. The instructor is a cool guy, a pro fighter, BJJ black belt, Judo Black belt, and i asked why do you roll from knees, and he said "because this is BJJ, we start on feet in our UFC stand up class"... wtf?

bc you will be the 1st guy being taken down and injuring himself. if you get lucky and get someone else you may injure them. then noone will want to train with you and your stuck in the same spot

That is where most BJJ classes are lacking. Starting from the knees is o.k., but as far as a reality situation, it is not good. Also, (I've trained BJJ and others) and usually for your first BJJ class, they tell you no neck cranks and no foot locks. But, if you go to another place that allows these things, you will be at a disadvantage.

We always start standing. Then again, i train at the 5th largest gym in the country (so I've heard) so mat space is no problem, and we focus a lot on competition.

We also train a lot of judo and takedowns, so it's not just guys yanking on each other's lapels the entire roll.

Starting from the knees is the greatest invention in the world. I don't get hurt. I'm not crashing in to people. It's awesome! Everyone should try it !

When tournament time comes, practice good technique for a while before going balls out against some black belt judoka!

You should be careful with takedowns if you want to do this sport into your old age.

You still need to have good takedowns and takedown defense.

I second this, I messed up my knee before I had a chance to learn anything.

maybe u should go to there wrestling class or judo once a week to supplement ur takedowns

One thing I noticed from going to a submission wrestling school to a BJJ school that they do start from there knees and do not scramble for position which helps you in an actually tournament. I have come to realize I was never that really technically sound on the ground but I would just out scramble and out work people better then me. I did very well in a No gi tourney scrambling to my feet and passing the other guys guard while he laid on his back not scrambling.

Standard. We train Wrestling/Takedowns seperately and then do BJJ from the knees.

pretty much all bjj clubs start from their knees, bjj focuses on ground work NOT takedowns, go to a judo or wrestling class if you want to learn technichal takedowns. is the club i attend every thrid class is no gi and once a month we dedicate a full class on takedowns

Back