Rolling from knees? wtf

But you were amazed people start on their knees? Is this an elaborate troll? Or did you expect a more fight-oriented (ATT) gym to be more TD focused?

Why would it be a troll? I'm not ATT. When I joined It was The Las Vegas Combat Club, under Sergio Penha, and Ricardo Pires. There we pretty much started on the ground.

When Cameron Diffley (Penha/Pires Student) assumed ownership and became lead instructor (now Legion Jiu-Jitsu), he changed it starting standing up mostly. I like that better, because even in a bjj tourney you get points for the TD, and can lead to better position.

Actually Helio would be sick at a sport bjj meet anyway since he does not believe in sports bjj anyway, its all self defense.

So new students and those under two stripe white can not spar but how are the lessons taught to them? From standing? Or are the lessons taught on your knees and then to practice or when its time to spar the pair stands?

I train with Relson Gracie (http://www.graciehi.com/) so next time you see him you should tell him he should have his students start randori standing like your school.

Students under 2 stripes are confined to "Fundamental" classes. Which is 80% self defense and 20% BJJ. I hated that because it became very monotenous after a while, they give u stripes for every 18 fundamental classes u take. It's both good & bad IMO. It cuts out the newbs who spaz and may hurt themselves and others in sparring. But it also prevents those who learn quickly or have prior experience from putting their skills in action.

This is one of the reasons why i plan on leaving this gracie school, because they are against competition. Also another big reason is the lack of any striking.

I'm not ATT. When I joined It was The Las Vegas Combat Club, under Sergio Penha, and Ricardo Pires. There we pretty much started on the ground.

When Cameron Diffley (Penha/Pires Student) assumed ownership and became lead instructor (now Legion Jiu-Jitsu), he changed it starting standing up mostly. I like that better, because even in a bjj tourney you get points for the TD, and can lead to better position.

I guess knees vs standing is a controversial subject. There may be benefits from training exclusively ground for one class, and then training exclusively stand up in another class. But an arguement can also be made that putting it all together would be more beneficial.

I will only start from my knees most of the time. I got a family to feed and a house payment to make. Getting something blown out on a takedown is stupid.

I will only start from my knees most of the time. I got a family to feed and a house payment to make. Getting something blown out on a takedown is stupid.

If you go to a judo club you'll notice the young guys are all working on standing, the older guys spend more time on the ground - amazing what having a job and family will do :icon_chee

At a much better school than you obviously. We have a huge facility and start off on our feet. Infact the gracie black belt instructors at this school LOL @ the other schools who start kneeling.

And you're obviously a moron, i never said i think he has no idea what hes doing i was asking if this is normal.

I appologize for not being a rich ignorant piece of shit...

Most BJJ acadameys start that way. It prevents alot of injury and there usually is a space issue.

It's mostly a space issue. At my school, we usually roll from the knees, but we drill takedowns, and sometimes at the beginning of class we all run around the edge of the mat and two pairs of people go to the middle and go for a takedown to the first point or submission or something. If there's a really small class, we may start rolling from standing.

Just pick up eddie bravos Mastering the rubber guard dvd. He talking about competing in bjj and why he pulls guard half guard a bunch. He is a ground fighter and wants to work his ground game not work for takedowns. Like everyone says going from the knees is something that is important for guys to be able to play their games while they are fresh.

In the states, every BJJ class I went to started on the knees.

In Japan, every BJJ class started on the feet (depending on space)

The mat space issue is the only good excuse I can come up with. Tournaments start standing up so there is no reason full sparring shouldnt be the same. If you want to work on your ground game, than pull guard and go. Simple, and it better prepares you for the real thing.

Watch, the same people who complain about training standing will be the same people getting all fiery because someone claimed that BJJ is just ground work.

Starting from the knees is the greatest invention in the world. I don't get hurt. I'm not crashing in to people. It's awesome! Everyone should try it !

When tournament time comes, practice good technique for a while before going balls out against some black belt judoka!

You should be careful with takedowns if you want to do this sport into your old age.

You still need to have good takedowns and takedown defense.

Why would it be a troll? I'm not ATT. When I joined It was The Las Vegas Combat Club, under Sergio Penha, and Ricardo Pires. There we pretty much started on the ground.

My apologies, I got the "V" muddled and had yours and the TS's tags mixed up. I thought the TS made the comment you made, so It really confused me.

ive found its common in most bjj classes.
its good to do both seperate. work your take down and work your gound game. also its about saftey, if youve got 20 guys fighting from stand up all the time some is going to fall on some one and if i got hurt because of this i would not be to happy.

its good to do both seperate. work your take down and work your gound game. also its about saftey, if youve got 20 guys fighting from stand up all the time some is going to fall on some one and if i got hurt because of this i would not be to happy.

Training each one seperately is good, but you have to mix it in eventually. A bjj takedown is not the same as a Judo one. You have to focus on landing in a good position. You have to spar with the possibility your opponent can pull guard. You have to train under the same conditions you are going to experience in a tourny.

Could be to reduce injuries, last thing you need is a bunch of new guys trying to do what they saw on TV or the internet. Some takedowns can be verrrrrrry dangerous. And it can also be to focus on your ground work without struggling on the feet for a takedown.

I'm assuming that the thread started is complaining that they sometimes start on the knees? Starting on the knees most of the time is fine for a lot of reasons (though it's better to start in guard), but I wouldn't want to be at a club where they don't do at least 25% starting standing, or at least do standing scrimmage (randori).

Mind, I'm mainly talking about grappling for MMA here ... unless you're a great striker you have to be able to get the guy to the ground in the first place, the rules won't force it in MMA.

I went to check out an ATT gym that opened near me, and they start rolling from their knees? wtf is that shit. The instructor is a cool guy, a pro fighter, BJJ black belt, Judo Black belt, and i asked why do you roll from knees, and he said "because this is BJJ, we start on feet in our UFC stand up class"... wtf?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! What's wrong with you? Are you kidding me?

I hate it when people pull guard, plus takedowns are pretty important for competitions, you can win with one solid takedown. Also it would translate better to mma or a street fight. Anyways you all make good points, it is more dangerous having dudes dance around the mat in a clinch trying to get a takedown.

You should just start fighting and open your own gym, it sounds like you already know everything.

Back