Rolling from knees? wtf

VladKGB

White Belt
Reaction score
I went to check out an ATT gym that opened near me, and they start rolling from their knees? wtf is that shit. The instructor is a cool guy, a pro fighter, BJJ black belt, Judo Black belt, and i asked why do you roll from knees, and he said "because this is BJJ, we start on feet in our UFC stand up class"... wtf?

most bjj classes start on knees. I dont understand your frustration. bjj is not about takedowns.

starting from the knees forces you spend time on the mat, isolating the mat grappling. why do want to start standing? if youwant to get better at TD's take judo.

if you want twork on your mat work, most bjj instructors start you there so you dont spend the whole session stalling for takedowns. also space and injury.

Don't freak out. People oftentimes roll from the knees to get into ground positions and matwork ASAP. It's actually not all that uncommon.

I hate it when people pull guard, plus takedowns are pretty important for competitions, you can win with one solid takedown. Also it would translate better to mma or a street fight. Anyways you all make good points, it is more dangerous having dudes dance around the mat in a clinch trying to get a takedown.

Completely common. You will see this at the majority of BJJ gyms you go to, its about ground game. Sometimes when people start standing you will see them waste 2 min or more of a 6 min round working takedowns. This is normal no biggie.

it's too avoid injuries that can easily occur with throws, takedowns, etc...

also with two skilled individuals, it can take awhile for one to get the other down to the ground. By starting on the knees, it gets straight to the groundwork game.

Sometimes i get people who ask if I want to start standing, if i'm comfortable with that person, then i have no problem doing that. But if you have everyone tossing everyone else around, in a limited space, it can become a recipe for serious injury.

its so you can have a group of guys rolling at the same time.

If you had 6 matches all on knees going on one mat you would be fine..

same six matches all standing would be torn ligaments for everyone :) If you want to start standing up... Stay late.. and ask someone else to train with you standing up... im sure it wont be a problem.

every school ive been a member of (team quest, gracie barra, xtreme couture) all grappling classes live rolls start from the knees...

plus man its a good thing it reduces injuries..

I went to check out an ATT gym that opened near me, and they start rolling from their knees? wtf is that shit. The instructor is a cool guy, a pro fighter, BJJ black belt, Judo Black belt, and i asked why do you roll from knees, and he said "because this is BJJ, we start on feet in our UFC stand up class"... wtf?

lol

Even takedown focused judo starts on the knees on a regular basis.

I agree that you should not start on the knees every single time as takedowns are indeed important, but it's fine to do it regularly as a training tool.

noob

Yah, the starting on knees thing and the idea that BJJ isn't about take downs is a little archaic. But some of us deal. and some of us train somewhere with a little more 'aliveness' so to say.

A lot of classes have seperate times set aside for takedown training and grappling training. Not unusual

Rolling from the knees is often a space issue, but the main reason most BJJ schools do it is to cut out a huge amount of injuries caused by overzealous n00bs like the TS

most bjj classes start on knees. I dont understand your frustration. bjj is not about takedowns.

starting from the knees forces you spend time on the mat, isolating the mat grappling. why do want to start standing? if youwant to get better at TD's take judo.

if you want twork on your mat work, most bjj instructors start you there so you dont spend the whole session stalling for takedowns. also space and injury.

Exactly, I've seen guys circle and fake for minutes at a time, and never spend no time on the ground. Most of our guys just pull guard to work from their back, or work their top game instead of fighting for the takedown. Because guys still fight for a long time for a takedown from the knees.

Starting from knees saves time and space. I see nothing wrong with it as long as you remember there is no martial position where both guys are on their knees. If you're both on your knees playing takedown, then you are wasting everyones time and space. One should just pull guard or conceed the takedown to let the bjj begin.

We start from the knees and train takedowns at a seperate time I thought thats how everyone did it.

Back