Rolling from knees? wtf

Yeah I think starting form the knees is ghey because i have seen people just jump p on their feet and try to jump on you or run around to your back.

I think people should start standing or from guard.

Where i train, we mostly roll from our knees. There are sessions where takedowns, throws, clinching, etc, is drilled - and then we start standing up. New guys are usually told to go easy, as to avoid them injuring themselves or their partner.

Rolling during 6 months from your knees > Rolling 3 days standing up and getting hurt for 6 months

most bjj classes start on knees. I dont understand your frustration. bjj is not about takedowns.

starting from the knees forces you spend time on the mat, isolating the mat grappling. why do want to start standing? if youwant to get better at TD's take judo.

if you want twork on your mat work, most bjj instructors start you there so you dont spend the whole session stalling for takedowns. also space and injury.

very good point, initially all my grappling was only from the standing position; i don't think i ever really started from the knees until i had grappled 5 yrs or so, i trained w/a jkd guy (emphasis was grappling..he trained w/larry hartsell and inosanto) and we exclusively worked from the knees. My game really jumped forward, when i went back to my old judo/ grappling club alot of people commented on the refinement of my off/def matwork. I got away from it again, esp when doing mma type sparring; but for the past year or two i been working exclusively w/a bjj guy and we only go 4rm the knees and once again my matwork has really tightened up diversified and sharpened.

having the option of w/drawing and standing, defending the takedown or using footwork/angles to limit takedown attempts, well it can limit ur matwork, all that stuff is part of being an all round grappler; but it will create holes in ur actual groundgame

I agree that starting from the "knees" is stupid.

Either start standing (when working on td's). Usually we do just TD's and once the 2 points are established get back up and start again.

Or

Start IN a position: guard, half guard, turtle, DLR, Spider. Often when I roll with white or blue belts, I start in closed guard and let them pass to side control before I start.

That said, the TS came off as a giant dickhead. :rolleyes:

If its a Big class there is less risk of someone getting injured.

This isn't new. Even old judo footage shows newaza beginning from the knees to prevent excessive issues with space, lack of focus on ground fighting, etc.

But I agree, if you turn it into midget sumo instead of pulling guard/getting grips/assuming top position, you're missing the point.

I'm a Judo guy, but I can see why BJJ clubs do this.

If you have people starting standing you're risking injuries from people bumping into another, you also should spend time teaching people how to breakfall since there will be more takedowns and more risk of injury. Also lets not forget the noob spazz factor: some big guy decides to try that Uchimata (that he's not good at) on his smaller opponent who's no good at taking falls=broken ribs.

All of this takes away from the meat and potatos of BJJ: groundwork.

I went to check out an ATT gym that opened near me, and they start rolling from their knees? wtf is that shit. The instructor is a cool guy, a pro fighter, BJJ black belt, Judo Black belt, and i asked why do you roll from knees, and he said "because this is BJJ, we start on feet in our UFC stand up class"... wtf?

you haven't trained very long

Lol. This is new. What's next? A thread complaing about guys grabbing eachother and rolling on the ground?

Lol. This is new. What's next? A thread complaing about guys grabbing eachother and rolling on the ground?
yeah, wtf is with that?!
I went to train the other day and - get this - some dude in pajamas tried to break my shoulder!

I think its for saftey reasons. So people might get a double and won't stop moving there feet till they get the takedown or till they crash into someone else.

I don't get this?

waht the fuck do you guys think we judokas train in? an airplane hangar?

I don't get this?

I believe the problem is being thrown on top of another group already on the ground.

Since this thread got bumped, ill give an update..

I rolled from the knees for the first time, and i felt like i didnt know what to do, its like rolling from knees needs a skill set of its own. When im standing i have a clear plan: clinch & TD. Anyways i just alternated pulling and going into guard.

Kinda sucks that i miss out on practicing TD's & clinching/pummeling on a resisting opponent.

We had a stand up class after BJJ, and we did light contact sparring at the end where i practiced my clinching/td's, so it made up for it.

I don't get this?

At our dojo we can have 4 sets doing standing randori at once. We can have just about the whole class (usually about 20-30 people) doing newaza randori. Standing randori takes a lot of space, there's a lot more movement than in newaza. In judo clubs that's okay because the focus is standing, and you make sure you keep the others busy between turns of randori. In BJJ where groundwork is more the focus, you can't consistently have people waiting to roll.

Back