Robert Whittaker thinks people are looking past Dricus Du Plessis

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“The Reaper” is booked to meet the #6-ranked Du Plessis at UFC 290, and Whittaker made it clear on the MMArcade Podcast that a win against the South African is far from a sure thing.

“Let me clarify everything,” Whittaker said. “So every headline out there has put a picture of Israel and myself, UFC 293. Because that’s what makes headlines, especially locally in Australia. But that is such disrespect to the threat level that Dricus brings to the fight. I understand the amount of danger he presents to me in getting the win, in just furthering my career, bettering who I am in the Octagon.”

“He’s a dude that everyone has already ruled out. He’s a dude that has absolutely nothing to lose. And a man with nothing to lose is a scary individual. I understand this, and I’m training with the utmost respect and the gravity the fight deserves. I’m flogging myself day in and day out of the gym, preparing for a war. And expecting to take a war to him, expecting the war. I’m gonna live in that space. I’m not planning past Dricus. Them media is obviously pumping their headlines to get views and clicks, but I’m not looking past Dricus."

https://www.mmanews.com/news/robert...93-showdown-against-israel-adesanya-in-sydney

People are. He shouldn't though.

Must be weird fighting someone who almost everyone thinks you will win easy.

BJ penns greatest quote: "The hardest thing about fighting is to win when you're supposed to win"

Agree. Never underestimate any opponent. Still, imagine how chaotic the reaction will be if he beats Whittaker.

Last edited:
Robert wrecked gastelum, vettori, cannonier, till without even blinking. He's the max Holloway of middleweight. Dricus seems like another stepping stone

DDP is waaay too hittable. Poor loopy punches, horrible footwork, no head movement. Whittaker with his first finish in years imo. That or 30-25.

Rob is just overrated. I see DDP dominating him tbh

Robert wrecked gastelum, vettori, cannonier, till without even blinking. He's the max Holloway of middleweight. Dricus seems like another stepping stone
The Till fight was dicey at times but I see your point. Dricus must pray to father time to catch Whittaker now.

DDP is waaay too hittable. Poor loopy punches, horrible footwork, no head movement. Whittaker with his first finish in years imo. That or 30-25.
there's the off chance Dricus wings wildly and catches Rob with some crazy shit but overall i agree with you. i think its gonna be a damn fun fight for as long as it does last though; if Dricus is nothing else, he's always in exciting fights.

“The Reaper” is booked to meet the #6-ranked Du Plessis at UFC 290, and Whittaker made it clear on the MMArcade Podcast that a win against the South African is far from a sure thing.

“Let me clarify everything,” Whittaker said. “So every headline out there has put a picture of Israel and myself, UFC 293. Because that’s what makes headlines, especially locally in Australia. But that is such disrespect to the threat level that Dricus brings to the fight. I understand the amount of danger he presents to me in getting the win, in just furthering my career, bettering who I am in the Octagon.”

“He’s a dude that everyone has already ruled out. He’s a dude that has absolutely nothing to lose. And a man with nothing to lose is a scary individual. I understand this, and I’m training with the utmost respect and the gravity the fight deserves. I’m flogging myself day in and day out of the gym, preparing for a war. And expecting to take a war to him, expecting the war. I’m gonna live in that space. I’m not planning past Dricus. Them media is obviously pumping their headlines to get views and clicks, but I’m not looking past Dricus."

https://www.mmanews.com/news/robert...93-showdown-against-israel-adesanya-in-sydney
This guy is a fu**ing leader.

Source: Sigma Sherdogger.

That Till fight was close as fuck. Lol at him “wrecking” Till without even blinking

People are. He shouldn't though.

Must be weird fighting someone who almost everyone thinks you will win easy.

BJ penns greatest quote: "The hardest thing about fighting is to win when you're supposed to win"
True. It's the opportunity of a lifetime so you know the guy will come with everything he's got. Probably in the gym 24/7 and watching Whittaker footage every night before going to sleep and while eating breakfast lol.

Always gotta respect the challenger

Dude is a true champion. A win over Whittaker is as legit as any victory you can obtain in MMA, belt or no belt. Guy is an animal with one of the most dangerous and effective fighting styles and is never out of shape.

I loved watching him obliterate Kelvin G on TUF in that 5k competition. Lapped him without breaking a sweat

Again, and as always, Whittaker being his humble, intelligent, realistic and fantastic self.

He's right. DDP is pretty damn good. His last showing answered a lot of questions too. Whittaker's game isn't nearly as wrestling heavy as Brunson's, so chances are that this will be a standup affair. I'm glad Whittaker's not taking that guy lightly. That's the mindset that got him where he is: at the very fucking top, and beating basically everybody besides Izzy.

WAR REAPER!

I think Till won their fight. If Robert’s oblique kick didn’t destroy Till’s knee Till would have absolutely won Till just couldn’t stop takedowns anymore. That fight was razor close.

Back