Rizin 14th NYE

Ratings are in and I don't understand much of japanese tv ratings, but they look horrible to me.

Ratings are in and I don't understand much of japanese tv ratings, but they look horrible to me.
Higher average than usual for them but the peak was very underwhelming and a lot of it probably comes down to how badly the lead up was handled. Still didn't hit their goals

Higher average than usual for them but the peak was very underwhelming and a lot of it probably comes down to how badly the lead up was handled. Still didn't hit their goals

When you take into account how much Rizin spent for Floyd, it's not good at all.

"Fuji TV is "RIZIN.14" which became the fourth consecutive year, 5.7% ((18: 00-)), (19: 00-) 5.0%, (21: 30-) 6.9%, (22: 50-23 : 45) It was 7.5%."

I mean 6.9% (21:30-22:50 - Kanna/Ayaka + Horiguchi/Caldwell) and then only 7.5% for Floyd/Tenshin is a disaster.

Total average rating is about 5.96% (5.68% in 2017)
Not a great number considering 9 million dollars for May

NYE 2018:

5.7% (18:00~)
5.0% (19:00~)
6.9% (21:30~)
7.5% (22:50-23:45)

NYE 2017:

4.8 (18:30~)
6.4 (19:30~)
6.2 (21:30~)
4.3 (22:50-23:45)

NYE 2016

5.6% (18:00~)
7.1% (19:00~)
5.7% (21:00~)
3.6% (22:50-23:45)

NYE 2015

5.0% (19:00~)
7.3% (20:45~)
3.7% (22:30-23:45)

When you take into account how much Rizin spent for Floyd, it's not good at all.

"Fuji TV is "RIZIN.14" which became the fourth consecutive year, 5.7% ((18: 00-)), (19: 00-) 5.0%, (21: 30-) 6.9%, (22: 50-23 : 45) It was 7.5%."

I mean 6.9% (21:30-22:50 - Kanna/Ayaka + Horiguchi/Caldwell) and then only 7.5% for Floyd/Tenshin is a disaster.
No one knows May in Japan.
Can't understand why Rizin spent so much money for him.

That's a substantial jump in ratings from previous years. They may not be getting ONE ratings, but it appears as though they are still gaining momentum.

Unfortunately, it could always not be enough. Luckily, they've at least announced their next event and have GP plans and such. Hope it all plays out.

Last edited:
They should have thrown buckets of money at Asashoryu or Harumafuji.

NYE is a special show, They are trying to attract women, teenagers, older people etc to it, not just the young male demographic..hence why they have need to have Floyd, Tenshin, RENA, GABI etc in it even if the matches don't make any sense

I don't think you can take NYE cards as anything more than a ratings game

regular RIZIN cards are rather bad with poor talent development, a lack of good foreigners, too many can crushing fights, basically in line with your criticism..but NYE cards live and die by the ratings and if the ratings will be good then your criticism would be 100% off the mark IMO

<LikeReally5>

Well, it is an significant increase for that prime time slot from 3-4 % to 7.5%, almost double.

It is simply a new reallity.
MMA numbers are in significant dropping & decrease all around the world. In USA too, UFC and Bellator also, numbers are nothing like 10 years ago.

What Quadros and Rutten called the fastest growing sport on planet 15 or 20 years ago, seems to have allready reached it´s zenith.
At first MMA was something new and interesting to general public, since that kind of free and brutal combat and fighting was never seen on TV before, but over time it proved that general audience, families, women, children, seniors do not want to watch intensive violence on TV, and they rather watch something else. There is also saturation with many promotions around the world. At the end of the day, MMA became a niche sport with small precentage of interested audience around the world who are actually interested and follow it.

So numbers that PRIDE had 15 years ago with world´s best fighters in most attractive divisions HW and LHW while the sport was in it´s growth phase and new sensation, should really not be expected today.

Sold out Saitama with more than 30 000 audience on NYE, and 27 000 in september, with multiple millions watching on TV, and solid interrnational interest indicate that significant audience and fan base exist for RIZIN, who like to watch something different than cage and unified rules.

We should hope that RIZIN will rise, grow and establish itself over the years, increasing quality and size of roster, and number of events, and keep ring and PRIDE/RIZIN rules japanese version of MMA, that is unique and different from american cage version that can be seen in the rest of the world, alive and present on the important scene.

Last edited:
The should of had the Asakura bros on the main card pure violence

Anybody know what that cat looking mascot was?

i watched on Fuji TV. The build-up, although mostly geared toward Floyd-Tenshin, was pretty good, especially the Yammamoto package they ran. The actual event, however, dragged on forever/wasn't fun.

Back