RIP John McCain

"
Civilians are impressed with McCain’s having gotten shot down. Those of us who were in the military know that getting wounded or shot down can stem from three categories of reasons:

• brave acts like out-of-ammunition American planes “attacking” Japanese ships at the Battle of Midway to draw fire away from armed U.S. planes
  • bad luck
  • screwing up
According to McCain himself, as quoted in the 2/11/08 Newsweek, McCain screwed up—characteristically out of “stubbornness, or a mad kind of bravery.”

McCain lacks the temperament needed to be Commander in Chief of a nuclear superpower. Last time he was on active duty and needed to respond to the danger signal he heard in his earphones—a tone that told him a surface-to-air, radar-guided missile had locked onto his plane—he rebelled against his training and orders to take evasive action. He was shot down, severely injured, almost killed, got an expensive jet destroyed, failed to deliver his bombs to his assigned target, and got captured by the enemy.

I saw an interviewer tell McCain he was a war hero once. McCain responded with a nervous laugh and a statement to the effect that he did not see how letting the enemy shoot you down made you a war hero. He was obviously mindful of us veterans in the viewing audience and his knowledge that we were less quick to apply the word “hero” to a guy just because he got shot down.

President John F. Kennedy was once asked how he became a war hero. “They sank my boat,” he answered. Actually, a Japanese destroyer cut right through his PT boat. Generally, we veterans find that unheroic, more likely, dereliction of duty. The Japanese destroyer saw Kennedy’s PT boat. I saw its captain interviewed about it on TV. If the Japanese destroyer could see Kennedy’s boat, Kennedy’s crew could see the destroyer. Why didn’t they? Not paying attention, apparently. Yet Kennedy has always been regarded as a war hero. He was pretty heroic after the sinking, and his medal was pointedly only for his actions after the sinking.

Generally, military personnel are not supposed to get wounded or shot down or have their boats cut in half. It cannot always be avoided and it’s usually not the fault of the victim, but getting shot down by the enemy over North Vietnam is not, per se, evidence of war hero-ness. Getting shot down because you ignored your training and standard operating procedures definitely does not make you a war hero.

Non-military people throw the phrase “war hero” around far too casually. There are plenty of genuine war heroes out there. Their true heroism is mocked by applying the same phrase to lesser veterans.

There is a very detailed article about how and why McCain was shot down and injured in the ejection at http://www.pythiapress.com/wartales/McCain-Shootdown.htm. I highly recomend that you read it. Basically, it says it was mainly McCain’s fault and that he was a general pain in the ass and bad midshipman, pilot, and officer."
@Protectandserve
@blaseblah

@RoninJin
@Phr3121

Last edited:
He’s not wrong. Everybody that gets captured and rescued is suddenly a hero. They somehow get the credit the f’n rescue team should be getting. We should just build a wall around trump so he can’t escape, then when he’s freed he’ll be called a hero, too.
He is wrong.

First off pretty much every soldier who serves now is called a hero, so the word is over used.

But the idea of hero comes from two main factors. Those are the 'Service' & 'The Risk' you take in volunteering for that service. You are putting yourself at risk for another (country). The ultimate manifestation of that risk is 'dying' in the line of duty, then next would be 'captured' in the line of duty. Then it would be the rest and that is based on the price they paid in volunteering.

Oh shit. Just yesterday I saw they were ending cancer treatment, but I guess that probably meant they were actually ending the machines to keep him alive.
It usually means bad news. Like they tried everything and he's just suffering now so we need to let him go kind of news. Fucking awful.

RIP

Why was McCain a war hero? Did he save anyone? No.
Here is what a hero looks like:
479px-Clinton_Romesha_portrait.jpg

If I joined the army, fought in a war, was captured and tortured, I'd hope your average sherdogger would consider me a war hero. I mean, it's pretty dickish not to, even for how low the bar is set around here.

"
Civilians are impressed with McCain’s having gotten shot down. Those of us who were in the military know that getting wounded or shot down can stem from three categories of reasons:

• brave acts like out-of-ammunition American planes “attacking” Japanese ships at the Battle of Midway to draw fire away from armed U.S. planes
  • bad luck
  • screwing up
According to McCain himself, as quoted in the 2/11/08 Newsweek, McCain screwed up—characteristically out of “stubbornness, or a mad kind of bravery.”

McCain lacks the temperament needed to be Commander in Chief of a nuclear superpower. Last time he was on active duty and needed to respond to the danger signal he heard in his earphones—a tone that told him a surface-to-air, radar-guided missile had locked onto his plane—he rebelled against his training and orders to take evasive action. He was shot down, severely injured, almost killed, got an expensive jet destroyed, failed to deliver his bombs to his assigned target, and got captured by the enemy.

I saw an interviewer tell McCain he was a war hero once. McCain responded with a nervous laugh and a statement to the effect that he did not see how letting the enemy shoot you down made you a war hero. He was obviously mindful of us veterans in the viewing audience and his knowledge that we were less quick to apply the word “hero” to a guy just because he got shot down.

President John F. Kennedy was once asked how he became a war hero. “They sank my boat,” he answered. Actually, a Japanese destroyer cut right through his PT boat. Generally, we veterans find that unheroic, more likely, dereliction of duty. The Japanese destroyer saw Kennedy’s PT boat. I saw its captain interviewed about it on TV. If the Japanese destroyer could see Kennedy’s boat, Kennedy’s crew could see the destroyer. Why didn’t they? Not paying attention, apparently. Yet Kennedy has always been regarded as a war hero. He was pretty heroic after the sinking, and his medal was pointedly only for his actions after the sinking.

Generally, military personnel are not supposed to get wounded or shot down or have their boats cut in half. It cannot always be avoided and it’s usually not the fault of the victim, but getting shot down by the enemy over North Vietnam is not, per se, evidence of war hero-ness. Getting shot down because you ignored your training and standard operating procedures definitely does not make you a war hero.

Non-military people throw the phrase “war hero” around far too casually. There are plenty of genuine war heroes out there. Their true heroism is mocked by applying the same phrase to lesser veterans.

There is a very detailed article about how and why McCain was shot down and injured in the ejection at http://www.pythiapress.com/wartales/McCain-Shootdown.htm. I highly recomend that you read it. Basically, it says it was mainly McCain’s fault and that he was a general pain in the ass and bad midshipman, pilot, and officer."
@Protectandserve
@blaseblah

@RoninJin
@Phr3121

I take it you served in some capacity?

"McCain was a Navy pilot. He got shot down over North Vietnam and captured and imprisoned by the enemy. Both his shoulders were broken by the sides of his cockpit when he pulled the ejection handle. He was a prisoner of war for five and a half years and was tortured and put in solitary confinement for much of that time. He was offered some deal that would let him go home early and refused to comply with its terms as required by the U.S. Code of Conduct. He was also ordered to turn the deal down by his commander among the P.O.W.s.

The media says he was given a chance to leave Vietnam and go home but he “refused.” Well, wait a minute. How, exactly, does one refuse to leave North Vietnam when one is an unarmed, crippled prisoner of war? If the North Vietnamese want you returned home, they just fly you to a neutral country and dump you there. They do not ask your damned permission. There has to be more to the story than “McCain refused to leave.”
"

this is pure conjecture, but there was a youtube interview a few years back with some of his fellow servicemen ... while in P.O.W. camp he was the proverbial "jailhouse snitch" to gain favor with the Vietnamese. Only after the death of a fellow serviceman due to his actions did he have a change of heart.... again its pure conjecture and the opinions of people that were there with him during that time

Can't say I liked him, but I respected him. He bravely served his country. Trump should show him the proper respect. He's actually praised Kim Jong-un more recently than McCain. Sad!

for the longest time i've wanted to know, but i've never asked: who's the chick in your avatar?

RIP
Thank you for your service, Mr. McCain.

Why was McCain a war hero? Did he save anyone? No.
Here is what a hero looks like:
479px-Clinton_Romesha_portrait.jpg

Well, he was offered the chance to go home twice during his 5 years imprisonment, but refused to leave without his fellow prisoners in order no to give the VC a propaganda victory - this despite suffering weekly torture. Earlier in the war, he tried saving a fellow pilot with fires raging around them, when a bomb exploded which severely wounded him. That is heroic behaviour. There is a reason he was awarded medals, you know.

Last edited:
God damn. The man is dead and some people are on here trying to argue about whether or not he was a war hero. Let the man Rest In Peace. Jesus

RIP John McCain

I think @Eazy123 randomly met him at a Starbucks a few years back in the Chicago burbs.

Back